Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

@RAWRitsRED - I looked at the notes on the company's website and it has patchouli and cedarwood, which is probably what your smelling.  It also has iris and violet, which I don't find overly flowerly.  I think the other notes were raspberry and vanilla.  Overall, it sounds like it should be a nice perfume.

@Titian06 

I thought I smelled cedarwood!  Sephora has a different description for some reason.  I love that it's not a sickening sweet smell since those usually give me migraines.

Life has been chaotic so I've been a bit tardy posting updates. There are quite a few

Diptyque is offering travel atomizers that are customizable. I feel the design is a real departure from the rest of the house

PARFUM-DE-VOYAGE-748-680

Fans of violet may be interested in Hiram Green's Vivacious. HG makes beautiful soliflores with Moon Bloom being one of my favourite tuberoses so I'm curious to try this one out. Luckyscent describes Vivacious as follows

Vivacious is a violet-themed perfume that takes its cue from those prim Victorians who adored this precious flower so much. Updated for the 21st century, this scent has a happy and carefree flair. The fragrance opens with bright and joyful bergamot that seamlessly merges into a floral bouquet of flirty violet and spicy carnation. Waxy orris smoothly anchors this boisterous heart and soft, powdery amber adds a warm and luxurious finish.

NOTES

bergamot, violet, carnation, orris, amber

o.72719

Marc Jacobs has launched Perfect. I can't get it to tag but here's the Sephora link https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/marc-jacobs-fragrances-perfect-eau-de-parfum-P460871

The ad copy is very fuzzy, trading on ideas about self-love and self-acceptance. I used to really enjoy Marc Jacobs' fashion but could never get into the perfumes.

From Sephora, the NOTES are Daffodil, Almond Milk, Cashmeran. This perfume opens with juicy notes of rhubarb and bright daffodil that reveal a comforting heart of almond milk and finish with a soft dry down of cedarwood and cashmeran.

p460872-av-05-zoom

For another creamy 2020 release, we have Etat Libre's Soul of My Soul

eldo-soul

Like the earlier releases of this line like Spice Will Flow, I expect this will hit N. American shores eventually. From NST Perfume

Soul Of My Soul speaks of the fire god of Persia and the gods of India — the worship of offerings such as Mesopotamia, milk and clarified butter to honour the gods. A creamy explosion, the musk scent intermingles with iris butter and transmits the powerful balm of vanilla, followed by the friction of tonka against benzoin for a sweet yet powerful sign off. Additional notes include bergamot, incense, pink pepper, rose, suede accord, sandalwood and georgy wood accord.

It's a little annoying that there's reference to the fire god of Persia, which I'm assuming refers to Zoroastrianism and "the gods of India" as if they are all the same? Like, Hinduism has many gods representing very different things, so this is just really sloppy writing. Unless the expected audience is solely comprised of readers ignorant of other religions and the intention was to invoke generic notions of the exotic gods of the Orient, sort of like the ethnic aisle in a grocery store. Hopefully the fragrance is a lot better than the ad copy.

Last but not least, Guerlain's Aqua Allegoria has two new releases, Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Orange Soleia Eau de Toilette 2.5 oz/ 75 mL Eau de Toilette Spray which features blood orange, mint and woody notes and Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Granada Salvia  which features pomegranate, sage and white musk.

GUERLAIN-AQUA-ALLEGORIA-SUMMER-2020-FRAGRANCE-COLLECTION-FILM

@pocketvenus The one from Marc Jacobs seems interesting. 

@tjffc It's available on Sephora's website now 🙂

RE: Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

Soul of my soul sounds interesting!

Re: RE: Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

@Cyncynn I haven't tried any from this line but have read good things about earlier releases 🙂

Thanks for the huge update, @pocketvenus !  Vivacious sounds interesting.  💖💖💖

@Titian06 You're welcome 💗😘

RE: Fragrance Junkie Central

New Serge Lutens scent Perilleusement Votre featuring rose and oud

Re: RE: Fragrance Junkie Central

@Mochapj Feeling ambivalent about this one. For Lutens to come up with a scent that measures up to the rest of the gratte-ciel line and that says something new in the rose-oud genre is quite a challenge. Not sure if the house will be able to raise the bar.

@pocketvenus same, it's been a while since Lutens' has put out a new scent that made me sit up and really take notice.

There are a few notes the brand doggedly returns to over and over again and I can't make up my mind if they are aiming for a 'signature' or if they just don't have anything else to say 😄

@Mochapj Yes and I'm guessing there might be an element of playing it safe, like a popular band that is pressured to keep the same sound. I really do like that stewed fruit sweetness in a lot of the fragrances but then remember that the fragrances I consider the best, like Sarrasins, are very unique!

RE: Fragrance Junkie Central

Following TF scents being discontinued Plum Japonais Oud Fleur oud wood intense Oud minerale Tobacco oud Venetian bergamot White patchouli Acqua flankers

Awe sad. I like the Venetian Bergamot and wanted to try the plum.

@Mochapj That's a lot! I wonder if this is a sign that the oud trend has peaked.

@pocketvenus Haha I hope so.

@Samtian Not an oud fan? 🙂

On one hand, I enjoy the smell of oud but on the other hand, I think it's been a factor in driving up perfume prices and one worries about the poaching of trees!

@pocketvenus Haha nope I am not.

Tauer has a new scent out called Phtaloblue! It's an aquatic, a genre I am not a huge fan of. Luckyscent's copy does make it sound good though.

31471.jpg?width=400&404=product

While everyone loves the sparkling brightness of an aquatic scent, it's hard to deny that the vast majority of them are all a bit... repetitive. So when we say Phtaloblue, with its distinct and invigorating blend of herbaceous and woody aquatic accords, is a breath of fresh air, please understand that we mean that in every possible sense. We'd expect nothing less from one of the most uniquely creative perfumers we know.

Phtaloblue explodes off the skin with a delightfully bracing burst of oceanic freshness, salt water mingled with vibrant citrus, but also a distinctive and captivating note of sweet, aromatic fennel that instantly imparts a warm, sensual dimension. It's the perfect opening for a scent that provides cool comfort and provocative originality on every level, as a floral heart balances the classic sophistication of orange blossom and lavender against a second, more herbaceous fennel and geranium chord that crackles with electric energy. Fresh and sweet, it all feeds into a gently but brilliantly gourmand base, with the smoothness of cedarwood and balsamic amber providing the perfect contrast to bring out the most in a dried tonka note that evokes both mouthwatering vanilla alongside the ingredient's haylike, outdoorsy qualities. The cumulative effect is a redefinition of the aquatic genre, elegant yet easygoing, invigorating and relaxing all at once. Andy Tauer doesn't create ordinary fragrances, and Phtaloblue proves it yet again. Aquatic lovers looking for something truly distinct– put this at the top of your list.

Phtaloblue Fragrance Notes

Bergamot, Sicilian lemon, Bulgarian lavender, sweet fennel essential oil, bourbon geranium, orange blossom, aquatic fennel chord, gourmand amber chord, dried tonka bean, aquatic cedar

@pocketvenus - Definitely sounds interesting.  Wouldn't mind giving this a sniff test (won't happen, but wouldn't mind!).  😄

1 Reply
testing