Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

Yay, I'm so happy you found one that you loved! Red Roses is so romantic to me. I live for the bath oil (it's my bath treat every once in a while!)

Thanks for reminding me about it! When I was first looking up rose scents, it did pop up but I had forgotten that I can try out JM fragrances at HR. I saw a little vial of bath oil, but I was pretty sure I'd use the entire thing in one go 😛

I really wish the Aerin would have worked out. The bottle is so pretty (sucker for packaging). I do see that musk is another note inRose de Grasse, and just to be sure the tester at Sephora wasn't bad... I tried the Amber Musk again at Holt Renfrew. I still smelled absolutely nothing. Maybe my nose just cannot pick up amber and musk scented things?!

Ooh, maybe! I have a friend that has a really hard time smelling certain scents. We actually realized this at the Science Centre haha. She just can't smell certain things - although she's fine with others! 

Amber Musk is the one Aerin fragrance that I don't really like. I normally like amber (and musk) but this one just doesn't sit well with me... as much as I love coconut, I can't stand the coconut in this one.

And another one you might want to sniff down the road... Diptyque's Eau Rose. I picked up a sample of it recently and it's pretty. I don't think I'd buy a full size bottled, but I like the sample enough!

this is so funny to me because I got the JHAG discovery set with the vibpicks promo and just started trying them. So far, I liked the OUD and had to wash lady vengeance and mad woman off cause the rose was cloying and makes me headacchy. I just tried a tiny bit of miss charming and don't hate it yet. I should've known cause I hate Jean patou Joy. But, I love the taste of rose water in arabic desserts and love actual roses. I should send you my vials when I'm done testing LOL

I love JHAG Miss Charming for work because it is light. It leaves a mild musk on my wrist in the afternoon, hospital friendly.

I'm a huge florals fan, roses being my favourite! I looked up the Jean Patou, I think it might have too many notes for me.

It may. And I suspect it's been re formulated and cheapened anyway. But, my mother used to wear it before she became allergic - and my sister finally gave it up too since my mom, my sisters husband, and I can't stand it. So, I have a bunch sitting in my house waiting to be EBates. So, I've smelled it recently - still can't stand it. Oh well. Body chemistry is a weird thing 🙂

Welcome to the club! 😉

I think I might have Rose de Grasse from the Aerin set I bought this summer, and if I do, I've tried it once before.

I'll pop it on and let you know how I think it compares to what you've mentioned.  Miss Charming is one of my favorites from JHAG, and the only one I bought a FB of.

FWIW, I don't think I've found an Atelier scent to love and I've tried all of them except the 2 newest ones (Jasmine & Saphir)  They use too much citrus or vetiver, (depending on the blend) IMO in their perfumes.  I hate both those notes, so it's an easy pass for me.

p.s. I have only tried a few atelier samples so far but mandarin glaciale was the only one I didn't intensely dislike.

I'm probably nuts but, on the drydown, miss charming reminds me of replica beach walk minus the coconut 😛

Anonymous Insider

I haven't tried Jasmine yet, but the Oud Saphir is delicious.

I believe I tried this in store, I don't think my nose is sophisticated enough to like oud (woody) scents 😞

You don't need a sophisticated nose to like oud, it's just a fancy name for agar wood a type of resin.

Sometimes a particular note whether it be oud, or roses or lily's  that we think we dislike, we discover that we actually enjoy when we smell it a well crafted perfume.  

I disliked tuberose and roses once upon a time..now I can't live without either of those scents in my life,

Thank you Mocha, I'd really appreciate it! I really like Miss Charming but hubby thinks I smell like bath soap :S Men! I really like the black currant in Mad Madame, but Miss Charming is such a nice and fresh rose scent.

I would love to know your thoughts on Rose de Grasse. It's hard to track down a sampler, I think Holts might have it but I don't enjoy going there. Also, it's so $$$

I think Vetiver might be what I don't like as well. I bought the sampler spray set during the 15% off sale earlier this year and while I *like* Rose Anonyme, the vanilla, the orange (sorry getting too lazy too look up names)...I didn't really like the vetiver, bois blond??, cedrat envirant...

I did like the pomelo one though!

K, can you grab a decant of Rose de Grasse anywhere? Looks like Perfumed Court has it. 

Also - might be worth trying to get a hold of HR to see if you can get a sample sent to you. Worst they can say is no!

I'm such a fragrance noob, I didn't know I can order decants! Thanks!

I'm going to check HR during lunch, and if they don't have it, I'll order on Perfumed Court... that is one pricey vial... 3mL for $32?!

This would be my most expensive perfume yet... I know that's not saying much but my nose is simple and pleased by cheap fragrances 😄

Anonymous Insider

K617, if you like black current to be a more lasting note then you can try L Ombre Dans L Eau from Diptyque or Innocent from Thierry Mugler. It is a middle note on these scents wheras scents like Black Orchid and La Vie Est Belle it is the quick evaporating top note.

Miss Charming is the rose scent that I loved but it seemed like it didn't match who I am if that makes any sense at all.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I actually prefer rose over the black currant, I just found Mad Madame to be particularly interesting.

I'm hoping to find a rose scent that's true and long lasting.

Anonymous Insider

I don't think there is a longer lasting rose than the Rose A. Atelier Cologne makes. Mad Madame is probably the only scent louder with roses than this one.

http://www.sephora.com/rose-anonyme-cologne-absolue-P376523?skuId=1668953

If you wanted a step down, Florabotanica.

http://www.sephora.com/florabotanica-P377672?skuId=1556398

Givenchy

http://www.sephora.com/very-irresistible-givenchy-P45600?skuId=1710607

Cartier is a bit softer.

http://www.sephora.com/eau-de-cartier-goutte-de-rose-P378641

I don't think the roses Chloe or Miss Dior, Burberry makes is very "true". But I think of the scent of Mr Lincoln bushes as my guideline.

Rose Anonyme is one of my go-to roses. I also love Serge La Fille de Berlin (the pepper!!) and Stella.

And I quite like Jo Malone Red Roses.

I think I'll go and smell the JM Red Roses at HR too!

2 Replies
testing