Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Anonymous Insider

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

I'll look into that, thanks! Good luck with your studies! 🙂

You're welcome!  You as well! 🙂

Tauerville alert- Amber Flash is now up on Twistedlily. And for anyone based in NYC, they have an event with Andy Tauer this evening, presumably for the launch, but you also get to sample Dark Mysterious Woods which is still in the works (experimental).

I wish I'd waited an extra week to place my order 😕

I got an email from Luckyscent today that they have Amber Flash, too.

I got my samples I ordered from Surrender to Chance on Monday.  I have tried them out and put then in order from favorite to least favorite.  I plan on purchasing the top three scents in the nearish future.

• By Kilian Amber Oud (a beatiful amber/vanilla scent with a hint of oud)
  • Tom Ford Private Blend Oud Wood (a nice oud/vanilla with a hint of woodsy)
  • Serge Lutens La Fille de Berlin (my new favorite rose scent)
  • By Kilian In the Garden of Good and Evil - Good Girl Gone Bad (nice scent...very much tuberose, like but don't love)
  • Byredo Inflorescence (very very white floral with a bit of green, a nice scent but not for me)
  • Serge Lutens Vitriol D'Oeille (smell alot of carnation and clove...the clove made me cough if I got too much of a whiff.  A bit of a hippyish scent with the clove.)
  • By Kilian Straight to Heaven (a bit too masculine for me, but a nice scent otherwise)
  • Patou Joy Pure Parfum (I got this because my grandmother used to wear it.  I hated it as a kid, and I wanted to see what my thoughts were on it now.  I don't hate it, but don't particularly care for it either.  It has a very waxy rosy smell on me.  Sorry, Grandma!)
  • Tom Ford Private Blend Tuscan Leather (did not care for this one, at all)

i wish oud wood smelled great on me..out of the 10x i've worn it, it's only smelled okay on me 3x..that one is extremely picky w/ my mood and therefore, body chemistry..sigh..also, amber oud sounds amazing

My two new loves that I've discovered : Tom Ford's Black Orchid & Velvet Orchid. So amazing, and they last long on me 🙂  Cant decide which one smells the best so I layer them lol

I love both of these fragrances from his signature line.  You might also try out TF Noir Pour Femme from his signature line.  I like that one even better then Black Orchid and Velvet Orchid.  TF also has some really yummy private blend fragrances but they are super pricey.

i spent an unusual amount of time sniffing some pure and lightly blended essential oils yesterday. not only was it just a blissful thing to do, but i already know, from doing so, i will be able to pinpoint notes much more clearly / with confidence now. 

i think my soul bleeds sandalwood. 

i love that -- "soul bleeds sandalwood"..i think our souls may be related or friends in a past life

Anonymous Insider

Sandalwood is pretty tightly knit with a lot of religious carvings/sculptures and rituals. Saying soul and sandalwood together is very apt.

sandalwood is one of the few scents that completely calms me and revs me up at the same time..definitely spiritually uplifting as well..

Has anyone seen/heard/read anything about this Derek Lam 10 Crosby set?

http://www.sephora.com/derek-lam-10-crosby-collection-set-P402658?skuId=1768951&icid2=homepage_justa...

I saw it when it popped up on the site (last week?) and I was debating buying one during the sale, but I can't find ANY information about any of the scents in it...

Why list something for sale without any accompanying description?

i haven't been able to find any useful information about the scents from this collection and am curious to know more details as well.

I was just coming here to ask about the new Derek Lam set as well. Any input on this would be welcome.

I was wondering about this myself!

So today I unearthed my tiny decant of Shiseido Nombre Noir to sample.

And it's been perplexing me all afternoon as I try to figure out what to say about it.  

For reference, this is the plethora of listed notes for this scent...

Top notes: aldehydes, bergamot, marjoram, coriander and rosewood.

Heart: osmanthus, Damascus rose, geranium, jasmine, ylang-ylang, orris root, carnation and lily of the valley.

Base: amber, musk, honey, sandalwood, vetiver, benzoin and tonka bean.

My first thoughts are that for something that has this many listed notes (assuming there are likely more that aren't listed) it is amazingly well blended.  

On me it leans pretty heavily floral (rose in particular) but every now and then I will get a whiff of the spice of coriander or the sweet nuttiness of tonka beans.  I definitely get carnation stem pepperiness, but it meshes so well with everything else that it isn't sharp or overbearing.  It contains a host of notes I can't stand (carnation, musk, vetiver, benzoin, bergamot) and yet it is so wearable.  At the beginning, it has a milky/powder scent, but that fades within about a half hour.

It's not terribly long lasting, nor does it have a large projection.  In this regard it is the type of scent I like to wear.  I much prefer scents that only I can smell, and I never like to be the woman you can detect a few steps before they arrive.  :S  After about two hours I can still smell it, but it's literally a whisper on my skin.

After our first meeting, I'm glad I got to experience it, but it's no love at first sniff.  I don't think (luckily) it will be my perfume unicorn.  Which is good, since I was googling to see if bottles could still be found, and there's one on Ebay for $6,000 😮

the notes all sound like my favorite things -- except lily of the valley which makes me nervous.

i don't understand the aldehydes either. pardon my ignorance. isn't aldehyde an alcohol compound ?? something ? i admit complete ignorance here.

where do you think the powderiness comes from ?

Aldehydes commonly give the soapy/waxy/floral notes we pick up in perfumes.  

The powderiness could be coming from the aldehydes, or the lily of the valley.  I find I often pick up LOTV as a powdery note.

xoxoxo

i find lotv quite powdery too, though i was never sure if it was the actual lotv or what it is traditionally paired with. 

yay this thread is going to be like FRAGRANCE JUNKIE UNIVERSITY

I have on the Nombre Noir. o_O

3 Replies
testing