Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

black opium, to me, smells like flowerbomb layered over diesel's loverdose..but i prefer black opium to loverdose (which i love) and flowerbomb (which is "meh" on me). i'm w/ meganlisa -- i love coffee notes!

Anonymous Insider

What do you smell when you use flowerbomb? There are three shared elements though, patch, orange flower, and jasmine.

it falls in that same "family" with Flowerbomb and La Vie Est Belle. But, I'm with Gwen, too... I don't care for flower bomb and I can't wear La Vie Est Belle anymore (because I already bought a full size bottle of course 😛  )

Black Opium seems less overtly sweet and cloying - like Megan said- probably the coffee. Of course, I bought the holiday set so I'm sure I'll start having sensitivities to it soon LOL

Maybe it's me...but I'm not sure I'll ever get tired of anything that has "coffee" in the scent notes....

Conceptually yes but....

I'm with Gwen.  I really don't like flowerbomb (a little over the top for me) but I love black opium.  But when I wear BO I really get the coffee, perhaps because I drink so much coffee.  So it might smell much different on me than on you.

Perfume juice junkie here...I do like Black Opium too. I don't get as much patch as I do with Flowerbomb. I actually can't do Flowerbomb because of the patchouli.

I absolutely get Flowerbomb... spiked with a heavy dose of orange blossom. 

the only common note listed is patchouli but that really doesn't mean much. interesting. 

According to Fragrantica (just looked them up), they both contain jasmine, patchouli, and white florals. Interestingly, Flowerbomb lists a middle note as African orange flower, while Black Opium lists one as orange blossom.

you did more research than i did ! haha. 

i'm doing that thing where i'm cleaning and every 5 minutes come to BT and then get back to cleaning. i found a sample of the black opium under a chair (?!). you know you need to clean more often when cleaning day is like christmas !

I'm actually newly addicted to Black Opium after I wore it this weekend and got, um, great feedback. Contemplating a purchase. 😉

I'm doing the same thing, but with bookkeeping and data entry at work (kill me now). Except there'll be no Christmas for me.... unless I find that they skipped paying me sometime last month, or something.

You should let us know what else you find! 😄

Hmmm. Not at all to me.... Can't stand Flowerbomb, but love Black Opium.

haha well i'm still learning to refine my nose detective skills 😉

i find black opium smells 'dirtier', much to my liking.

I wouldn't call myself a scent expert, but I am very sensitive to even subtle nuances. I'm not sure I could tell you what the nuances are, just that I do or do not like them. 😉

Yes, it's darker and less flowery-sweet, more vanilla and woodsy-sweet to me.

I ordered several samples from Surrender to Chance.  The samples I ordered are:

• By Kilian Straight to Heaven
  • By Kilian Amber Oud
  • By Kilian In the Garden of Good and Evil - Good Girl Gone Bad
  • Byredo Inflorescence
  • Patou Joy Pure Parfum
  • Serge Lutens La Fille de Berlin
  • Serge Lutens Vitriol D'Oeillet
  • Tom Ford Private Blend Oud Wood
  • Tom Ford Private Blend Tuscan Leather

I mostly ordered the Patou Joy Pure Parfum because this is what my grandmother used to wear.  I remember not really liking he fragrance as a child, but my tastes have changed and I would like to see how I feel about it now.

can't wait to hear your thoughts! I've only tried White Crystal by Kiloan (I think it has two names?), and I really liked it. I need to explore the brand more!

Cloudburst, I LOVE Kilian fragrances.  Amber Oud is so wonderful, it's on my wish list, but I got TF Amber absolute since it's cheaper and limited.  If you decide on something, I'd be happy to send my favorite Kilian SA's details, she always sends a bunch of sample, even without purchase if there is something new I want to try.  I am waiting for my bottle of the new Voulez Vous Coucher Alec moi, signed by a kilian Hennessy but I don't live in the same city!! It's much softer than the name would suggest. 

Thanks!  I'll keep that in mind.  A user on youtube convinced me to try some Kilian fragrances as well as Serge Lutens.  Another user said I should try out some Byredo scents (their name keeps making me think of a burrito though 😄 )

i got a sample of tom ford cafe rose and tried it an hour ago. what it smells like on my skin versus the intoxicating scent i first experienced on a paper strip are nothing alike. on me, it smells like the remnants of estee lauder's "beautiful" sprayed three days previous on a wool blazer w/ a fresh spritz of ysl paris on top of it -- it smells like my older sister back in 1987. bizarre. i don't want to smell like my sister even though i love her to death. had high hopes for this but it's definitely a pass

What a bummer, I'm so sorry!

thanks..it's okay though..i really didn't need another $220 bottle of perfume on my wishlist..haha

testing