Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Does anyone know if Tuberose and Jasmine scent the same thing or the same flower family?

I love the smell of jasmine and I bought the My Way by Giorgio Armani to me that perfume smells like jasmine but I can never tell the difference between the scent of Tuberose and Jasmine but I love the My Way though wish all perfumes has the refill bottle that’s what I love about this perfume because I think all perfumes should have refills instead of wasting the environment like bottle after bottle perfumes

Re: Does anyone know if Tuberose and Jasmine scent the same thing or the same flower family?

@Stella179 They are both white florals so you are correct, they belong to the same family. White florals do not attract insects with colour and rely on smell. So while they may smell beautiful, they also contain indoles which on their own, or in too high of a concentration, can smell like rotting flesh, garbage, excrement, halitosis and so on. I guess pollinating insects love those indoles! But in teensy doses, indoles give white florals their lush and sensuous character.

Having said that, they are definitely very different flowers. Even different jasmines like jasmine sambac versus jasmine gradiflora, smell different too!

Jasmine is perhaps the easier of the two to enjoy. It can have a sunny quality, a fruity banana peel side, the fragrant tea aspect. Tuberose is more difficult because it can be denser than jasmine. For this reason you'll often see tuberose paired with coconut, and it can have a milky or even creamy quality. But it can also have an icy mentholated aspect too! And again, both produce indoles which can be difficult if there is too much in a perfume.

I'd recommend smelling the essential oils directly but if you can't, some reference scents to try

JASMINE

• Mugler's Alien
  • Lush's Lust
  • Serge Luten's Sarrasins, a personal favourite
  • Tom Ford's Jasmin Rouge

TUBEROSE

• Malle's Carnal Flower
  • Piguet's Fracas
  • Serge Luten's Tubereuse Criminelle
  • Hiram Green's Moon Bloom

Re: Does anyone know if Tuberose and Jasmine scent the same thing or the same flower family?

Thank you for the suggestions and sorry if I reply late I just saw this now recently 😅

@Stella179 I used to work at a flower shop and Jasmine and Tuberose are not the same thing.

So what does Tuberose and Jasmine smells like?

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing