Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Exclusive Events

#wearsunscreen: SPF Masterclass with Supergoop! in NYC 5/5/2019

"Wear sunscreen.  Every. Single. Day." Thanks to @TeamBIC  and @supergoop , @Cyncynn , @michelleshops and I had the fortunate opportunity to experience Supergoop!'s simple and straightforward message on sun protection via an educational "SPF Masterclass" hosted at their NYC pop-up in SoHo.  

Decorated as a bright, colorful classroom -- a nod to founder, Holly Thaggard's teaching background -- Supergoop!'s pop-up store centers on the theme of education, spreading awareness on how to effectively use sun protection to preempt risks from sun exposure.  Holly herself swept in shortly after our arrival, and led our three BIC community members through a tour of the pop-up set-up.  She clearly conveyed her advocacy for sun protection, her entrepreneurial spirit and she was incredibly generous with her time.

Supergoop Popup.jpg

The educational panel with the larger audience covered the foundation facts on SPF, best practices / usage, and Supergoop!'s role in developing innovative formulas to encourage wide adoption of sunscreen.  Some notable take-aways:

-SPF 30 - 50 is the ideal range for maximum protection.  Anything above SPF 50 yields diminishing marginal returns -- unnecessarily packing the formula with more active ingredients without a proportionate increase in effective protection.

-Mineral sunscreens suit sensitive skin types, such as that of a baby's, and protects by deflecting UV rays from the skin.  By contrast, chemical sunscreens are more breathable, more suitable for athletic activity, and protects by absorbing UV rays instead of the skin doing so.

-Supergoop! does not use oxybenzone in any of its products, as the ingredient is found to be harmful to both human and environmental health.  In line with recent regulations, Supergoop! targets to also eliminate octinoxate from its formulas by 2020.   

-Looking ahead, Supergoop! is aiming to offer more products for often-forgotten or disregarded parts of the body, such as the eyes (10% of skin cancer is found around the eye area!).  The brand is also looking towards delivering sun protection via color cosmetics, and is currently promoting their Shimmershades, cream eyeshadows that also function as highlighters.  

Supergoop Panel.jpg

At the end of the event, the BIC attendees received a goody bag containing a "wearsunscreen" t-shirt sported by the brand's staff at the pop-up, an SUPERGOOP! - Unseen Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 40 ,  SUPERGOOP! - Glow Stick Sunscreen SPF 50 , and a very photogenic package of stickers and samples.  

Supergoop Samples.jpgSupergoop Sunscreens.jpg

Thank you again to the BIC team and to Supergoop! for this opportunity.  Special recognition to the Supergoop! team for an incredibly well-executed concept:  the "school" theme extended throughout the pop-up experience, from the athletic banners on the walls, to the fun decorated lockers and even the class syllabus and retro-looking pen placed on each attendee's chair -- all really well-done!  

Supergoop Bleechers.jpg

Re: #wearsunscreen: SPF Masterclass with Supergoop! in NYC 5/5/2019

@MlleCC  I'm glad we got to meet again ❤️

Thanks for the picture of the blackboard, I was kicking myself for not snapping one.

We loved having you, @MlleCC & thank you for spreading the SPF love 💛 You know where to find us if you ever need anything.   

This looks like so much fun! I'm glad you got to go to the event, @MlleCC!

That looks like so much fun, @MlleCC .

And so informative, too!  

Looks like a fun event! I love the high school athletics theme! I’ve just recently started using their Unseen SPF 40 as my primer, I’ve enjoyed it so far! 

💛💛💛

@MlleCC  I really like how they designed the black chalkboard with the different “subjects” as well as the useful info included in it! Thanks for sharing about this pop-up event! 🎉

@MlleCC Congratulations on going to this super cool event. Thank you for sharing your experience as well as pictures with us. 

Congratulations, @MlleCC , @michelleshops , and @Cyncynn!  This class sounds fun and educational!  My dad died from melanoma 25 years ago and my mom had basel cell carcinoma (on the bridge of her nose, so that "often-forgotten" part of your body you mention) a few years ago.  Thanks to Sephora's Sun Safety Kit, Mom wears sunscreen now.

Thanks for sharing, the description, and great pics!

@Titian06 , thank you for sharing your personal story; I'm incredibly sorry for your loss.  Compared to those of previous generations, we now have more knowledge of how to proactively protect ourselves from sun damage and a variety of well-formulated, comfortable-wearing products enabling us to do so.  I'm glad to hear that your mom is taking advantage of these resources to make sun protection part of her regimen.  🙂

Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 35 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
Photos10
  • Supergoop Popup.jpg
  • Supergoop Panel.jpg
  • Supergoop Sunscreens.jpg
  • Supergoop Samples.jpg
  • Supergoop Bleechers.jpg
  • Supergoop Class Materials.jpg
  • Supergoop Locker 1.jpg