cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Exclusive Events
|

Skincare to minimize pores

Hello everyone,

lm in late 30s and looking for skincare products to minimize pores. I have normal skin. Please suggest your tested and tried products.

Re: Skincare to minimize pores

Hi @MS21!

My dermatologist told me there's no permanent solution to shrink pores.  There are some things you could try tho.

I wash my face with cold water to help shrink pores, and in the summer, I even rub an ice cube on my face!

Another thing is using a cold jade roller.  I leave mine in the freezer.  This helps shrink pores a bit and it also allows your skincare products to penetrate into your skin better!

I recently started using Skin&Co Truffle Toner. It has really helped close pools and clear my skin

Hi, Just used a sample of the brand Fresh... Sugar strawberry exfoliating face wash.  I liked how very little you need 1st off.  Then, how really smooth it made my skin feel.  I went to put on a pore refiner product and did a double take.  My pores were, on a scale of 1 - 10...10 being the worst, I would rate mine a 1.  I truly was in disbelief.  My pores have always been quite large. (on that same scale above, I would be a 8/9).   I say "Try it".  I am entering my 60's so I am quite pleased to have found this product.  

If the skin is cleansed thoroughly including the pores that will minimize their appearance.

Pore size is genetic. If any products came to reduce the pore size, they're lying.

Anonymous Insider

Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Sukari Babyfacial™ AHA + BHA Mask 1.69 oz/ 50 mL

control oil production, meltdown the old skin cell to look minimize the pore

SEPHORA COLLECTION - Purifying Mud Mask: Clear & Mattify

oil control production, deep pore cleanse

Dr. Jart+ Cicapair™ Tiger Grass Color Correcting Treatment SPF 30 1.7 fl. oz/ 50 mL

after home micro needling around the pore area and apply this.

It helps to activate the skin cell to regenerate.

Hi @MS21 ! I have combo skin. My oily zone is just one and around my nose, and my forehead’s kinda normal. The rest of my skin is dry. My big visible pores are in my oily zone. Here’s what I use to keep them under control: 

BHA (salicylic acid) gets down into pores to clear them of bacteria and dead skin cells; that’s the gunk that makes pores appear even larger than they really are. I use a leave-on BHA exfoliant (Paula’s Choice CLEAR Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution) 1-3 times a week. Paula’s Choice makes a few other BHA exfoliants. I think The Inkey List also makes one, though I haven’t tried it... ah, here it is: The INKEY List Beta Hydroxy Acid (BHA) Blemish + Blackhead Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL. Many folks love Dr. Dennis Gross products that combine AHAs and BHA, like Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta® Extra Strength Daily Peel Pads 30 Treatments + 5 Bonus; I used to use those pads and still think they work, but they contain too much alcohol for my skin to handle on a regular basis. 

Niacinamide does many great things for skin, including pore reduction. My biggest daily dose is in my hydrating toner, e.l.f. Hydrating Water Essence. But I also have a couple of Paula’s Choice niacinamide serums/boosters. Other good options are The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL and The INKEY List Niacinamide Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL. I have a sample of DR. DENNIS GROSS SKINCARE - Stress Rescue Super Serum with Niacinamide but haven’t tried it yet; the ingredients look impressive, except for lemongrass oil. 

RE: Skincare to minimize pores

@MS21 Hi! A few suggestions (from someone who has experimented with a plethora of skincare products in constant combat of enlarged pores and skin that is generally on the oily side...). I’m breaking this down by the classic skincare regimen steps for clarity with product recommendations along the way. 1) TONING. After cleansing, use a toner with at least some level of astringent (look for alcohol derivatives, salicylic acid, or witch hazel, etc. as these are the most classic ingredients for this purpose). This will cause a rapid retraction of your pores due to your skin’s natural reaction to these ingredients. Don’t overdo it, as these can often be drying, especially when starting out. Also, like everything, it’s not a permanent fix, but it will help for enough time to get on with the next steps in your regimen and ideally a good portion of the day. It differs from person to person. Some people can get away with just using a toner and nothing else (I envy them, but I don’t fall into this category). From a biological perspective, everyone’s pores naturally open up throughout the day over time due to multiple factors; mainly oil production levels, exposure to heat, sweating, and humidity levels. In terms of toner product recommendations, CLINIQUE is a great place to start, with options to fit every skin type (PS- they call their toners “Clarifying Lotions”, but you can tell they are toners by how fluid they are, as opposed to typical “lotions” which tend to be more solid). Choose the level (they are labeled one-four) best suited for your skin type. 2) TIMING. If and when you can, allow time between steps/applying products. For example, after I shower/cleanse my face, I always wait at least 10-15 min to allow my pores to adjust before applying my first step toner/treatment/serum, then another bit before moisturizer, then another bit before primer/concealer/etc. I’ve spoken with several dermatologists who haveconsistently recommended adding wait time between steps and trust me, it makes a difference. The best part? It’s a cost-free addition to your regimen, but probably the most valuable addition one could incorporate. Think of your products as distinct layers rather than a hodgepodge of stuff you race to put on your face. 3) PRIMING. Most people assume by the name that primers are meant solely for priming the skin prior to applying makeup, but they’ve come a long way in terms of what they can do, and many people use primers without the need for much or any makeup on top. If you’re not using a primer it’s time to use one; if you’re using one and it’s not significantly improving the smoothness (and optical pore size reduction) of your skin - it’s time to switch. I personally use and highly recommend Smashbox Photo Finish Light Primer (or the original Photo Finish if your skin can tolerate something a bitheavier). Most primers admittedly use a decent amount of silicone and/or similar substances to create a smooth canvas, but too much can causepore blockage, so it’s important to find products with the right balance and only use the right amount for you. Smashbox also recently added a pore minimizing primer which I’ve yet to try, but it’s worth a shot to grab a sample! Finally, and I swear I’m not affiliated or paid bySmashbox in any way, but they also came out with an awesome primer stick recently that you can quickly/easily apply as well - I love it and sometimes layer on top of my Photo Finish Light or use it on its own.Last but not least, there are other primer-hybrid products that are made specifically to cover pores, like The POREfessional by Benefit Cosmetics. I’ve used it, and it works well, especially as a more of a stand-alone product (no makeup on top) since it has a very slight tint (universal for all skin tones, but truly not “makeup” coverage). A fewnotes on this product: be careful what other products you use it with as it tends to flake and ball up if used in conjunction with another silicone-based product and/or you rub it in too much. It also has a light-to-moderate fragrance, which some find pleasant, and others with sensitive skin may not be able to tolerate. I hope this helps! 🙂 If you don’t like these suggestions I do have others in mind—don’t hesitate to reach out!

RE: Skincare to minimize pores

Thank you so much for all the suggestions. I’m definitely gonna try to use some of the products you mentioned.
9 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 18 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing