Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Everything Eyes
Highlighted

best matte eyeshadow palette

I'm looking for an eyeshadow palette that is completely matte (this will be my first full matte palette) and I'm wondering which one you all would consider to be the best (more like, if there was only one palette you could use for the rest of your life you would use this one). So far I've been looking at Urban Decay, Too Faced, and Stila and they all look like great palettes, but which one would be best?

I use mostly Kat Von D but I'm trying to explore other brands if that makes sense but if anyone has any opinions on the Ladybird palette please (of course) give a shout- out! 

Thank you very much! 

Re: best matte eyeshadow palette

It really would also depend on your complexion and which colors suit you best. Mattes can range in warm, cool, and neutral tones, so it's important to find shades in colors that best compliment your coloring.

Not just that, but your eye color too. If you have fair, cool-toned skin, you might think you should stay away from warm shades, but warm coppers, browns, and oranges can really bring out blue and green eyes.

Hi cure!

I love my Urban Decay Naked original (more matte shades and some fun dark/shimmery shades to glam it up!) but also love the Too Faced Matte Eye Shadow Collection which is a full palette of just matte shades to use. Both are great and you can't go wrong with either one!

Urban Decay Naked

Urban Decay - Naked Palette
http://www.sephora.com/naked-palette-P267200

Too Faced

Too Faced - Matte Eye Shadow Collection

http://www.sephora.com/matte-eye-shadow-collection-P290627?skuId=1345966

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana

Thank you very much!!

I've heard nothing but great things about UD's Naked palette (the only thing negative I hear is that Sephora is constantly running out of it!) 

My only problem with it though is that I don't know if I'd use all the eyeshadows you know? Also I like experimenting with seemingly natural looks but using a gray for example. 

My issue is that the majority of the shades in both palettes are not matte. That's the whole idea, here. I've been going back in forth in my mind for a long time on whether or not to get the Naked original, but while I'm using the Naked 2 on a daily basis with only three matte shades, I feel like I just want a totally matte palette. Of course, not everyone share's that thought.

Or not. I didn't realize what the Too Faced palette was, thought it was one of the neutrals, didn't realize it was all mattes. Whoops!

I have Kat von D Ladybird and it is very warm. I love the orange shade on the end. The other shades are more basic - some browns and a nice purple. In general though I find I don't reach for this palette often except when I want to use that orange color. I also have Meet Matte by the Balm and it has a nice range of matte shadows as well. 

I really enjoy the Stila Matte Palette (In the Know).  It is neutral shades that give a natural but sophisticated look.  The shadows are soft, smooth, and really blendable.  I find it is a good combo of light and darker shades.  There are great crease colors and all over shades.  

I'm probably a minority here that thinks Urban Decay Basics was a bit of a letdown. The lighter shades were good, but the darker ones were so difficult to blend!

Have you looked into LORAC Pro? One entire row is basically all matte shades Smiley Happy

I have to say I think Naked Basics is a bit over hyped too. Don't get me wrong, I don't really have an issue with the colors...there is one, I want to say maybe WOS that doesn't show up on me, but otherwise they're okay. Oddly enough I do like the one non-matte shade (which my OCD has an issue that there is a non-matte shade in the palette haha) but I truthfully just..don't reach for it. I'd have to second LORAC Pro as well. I've found LORAC's matte shades to be the easiest to blend.

I love the Ladybird palette! I recently got the Naked palette so I have been using that a lot lately.  But for all matte, the Ladybird palette is definitly great! I find I can use this palette for work friendly looks & really vamp it up for a night on the town.

i just ordered the Stila in the know palette from their website, so i can't wait to try it. ive been using the Sonia Kashuk eye on neutrals with a lot of my looks. Otherwise its either the balm meet matte, a few different pan e/s from mac or MUG and UD naked basics

I, too, think Naked Basics is over hyped and a huge letdown. I don't like it at all. Color selection is poor, colors are nothing special even for basics. Some of the lightest ones doesn't even show on my fair skin much, like I'm used to Naked 1 and 2 colors to be pigmented and fantastic. Now, I love my Naked palette 1 and 2, but Naked Basics is really not all that. You better look for more versatile matte palette somewhere else. Stila is excellent choice. I love my Stila all matte In The Know palette! It has everything I need and like. Colors are beautiful and versatile, pigmented, and staying power is fantastic ( with primer, I have them on all day and colors don't fade, crease, or move around. I haven't noticed any fall out during application, so that's another plus. ) Also, they are very easy to apply and blend. Colors are great for any look, from subtle, natural, day look, to night makeup, and everything in between. I love it. 

I have a ridiculous obsession with matte eyeshadows and own all of the palettes that have been mentioned in these responses (I'm a working girl in an industry where most women don't wear makeup, so matte shadows are my best friend). If you like wearing cool tones, I recommend going with the Too Faced palette because there's not much warmth to any of those shades. Alternatively if you like warm shades, the Stila is your best bet. If you want a little bit of cool and warm then the Kat Von D palette can give you that Smiley Happy All of the palettes are lovely quality and super versatile. It just depends on what price point you are comfortable with and what sorts of colors you like wearing.

@makeuplover989 -- thanks for your descriptions!  i've been tearing my hair out trying to decide on a matte palette and when I read your post I realized that I do prefer cool tones over warms.  Now I know which one to look at! Smiley Happy

Too Faced is the best one.  I reach for this palette every single day.  Every color in that palette can work with a different look.  I love using this palette for highlighting under my brow and creating a base color in my crease.  These colors are all true to pan and they blend like a dream.  I like this palette also because it is just not filled with neutrals.  This palette was exactly what I needed in my eyeshadow collection.  Best of luck in your search. 

I'm also on the hunt for the perfect matte palette so this thread helps me too!

Have you looked at theBalm's "Meet Matt(e)"?

I think I might get this one! I feel like with a lot of matte palettes the colors are all neutrals and most of them end up being really light white/ivory shades that I'll never use. I like that this one has colors rather than just neutrals. 

If anyone is looking for something more affordable, Sonia Kashuk's eye on neutral palette is a solid matte palette for the drugstore. Retails for I believe $20. Not too much less than the Naked Basics, but you definitely are getting more shades.

I almost bought this on Haute look when it was on sale, but talked myself out of it. I wish I hadn't...it looks great

Now why did I only find out about Ladybird after the sale?! Drat! And since only Sephora carries KVD, I have to hold my breath they will release more of them since it is out of stock. I love the half cool, half warm ratio. I really want it.

The Kat Von D "Ladybird" palette is not limited edition. And, Sephora has been out of the Ladybird palette a good while- even before the "Friends & Family" sale. It seems to take them a good while to replenish Kat Von D stock....don't know why, though. Hope this helps you....or, at least, ease your mind. lol =)

The balm's meet matt(e) nude

You guys should check out the new It Cosmetics Naturally Pretty Matte Luxe Shadow Palette. It looks amazing. It is all matte and then one pearl "transformer" shade that can be used over any of the colors in the palette to give them a metallic finish. Pretty smart.

I ordered one but have yet to received it.

So pretty! I love all the colors! Could you post a review here on BT with swatches, pls? I wonder if they're easily blendable, pigmented and true to the colors as we see them in the palette...

38 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos3
  • swfupload_8074577676651987866.jpg
  • Itpalette.jpg
  • sleek mattes.jpg