Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Everything Eyes

What is your favorite eye primer??

I find myself loving the lorac primer staying power, but it creases. I'm thinking of just sticking with the ever so popular Urban Decay primer potion. What are your thoughts on those two items??

Re: What is your favorite eye primer??

I have not tried the Lorac.  I can say however that the UD does not work well with my skin.  It dries kind of chunky on me even though blend it.  I tried to love it because it is so popular I thought I was doing something wrong.  I have come to fall in love with Smashbox photo ready eyelid primer.  

I have extremly dry skin, but my eyelids are normal. It is very odd. So far the UDPP has been the best one that I have used.

My eyelids are EXTREMELY oily. Well, my whole face is. womp womp

I've tried both of those. You'll hear this a lot but seriously, nothing beats the NARS pro prime smudge proof (whatever its called exactly) eyeshadow base.

I always disliked UDPP, theBalm one that Temptalia likes is absolutely terrible, the Too Faced Shadow Insurance is not bad - actually pretty decent but a little thicker feeling. I personally always used to use the bareMinerals eye primers because most of my make up is from there/I try to use more natural brands. bareMinerals is pretty good as well - and I like the brightening pearl (white base) to help intensify my eyeshadow colors.

I kept hearing all the youtube beauty personalities rave about the NARS. I am not the type of person to just go out and buy something. This winter though one of the sephora gift with purchases included a deluxe sample of the NARS eyeshadow primer.

I wore it to work (loooong hours in a hospital) and I looked in the mirror when I got out (I work in the OR, can't leave the room, so only saw myself before and after) - oh. my. god. It's amaze balls.

Okay this has gotten too long BUT the NARS primer is a very similar consistency and color (goes on clear) to the LORAC but it just doesn't cut it for me. I am almost out of my deluxe sample so I used the lorac one just a few days ago (since I got it with my pro palette), and it creased on me big time.

Take a leap of faith and go for the NARS!!

I think thebalm one is meant for normal or drier eyelids. It works great for me (I have normal I think) but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with oilier eyelids.

I read somewhere the key to finding the right eyelid primer is to first figure out whether you have dry, normal or oily eyelids and then go from there. Knowing the type of eyelid helps eliminate a lot of primers (supposedly).

My sister has very oily eyelids and didn't like the UD eye primer at all.

Yes I am definitely going to go and get the NARS!!

I love toofaced shadow insurance

The first primer I ever used was UDPP, it worked fine but when I repurchased it, it no longer worked for me. I then used Lorac, which worked fine but again, when I repurchased it, it no longer worked for me. It almost seems like my eyes get used to whatever I am using and then it will magically no longer work. Fast forward years later that I've been using eye primer and when I find a combo that may work (primer and a translucent powder, primer and a paint pot, just primer, just a paint pot, the list goes on) literally in probably a week or two it no longer works for me. As mentioned below, I will agree that I have heard continuously all over the internet that NARS is the primer for oily lids but sadly that does not work for me either. But because of the rave reviews it gets, I would say that is probably the best bet!

Too Faced Shadow Insurance and Urban Decay's Primer Potion.

Lately, I have been using the Maybelline color tattoo's as a primer/base and the results are basically the same for me, except the pigmentation that the base creates is much more vibrant!

Too Faced Candlelight

I like Too faced shadow insurance and Urban decay primer potion, both in original. 

I have dark lids so i prefer to use paint pots. I don't really have an issue with creasing, i just have deep eyes so they tend to crease on the inner corner and not all e/s.  I use Mac soft ochre or layin low 

before i was using both and then realized i only needed one, it was UD eden and too faced shadow insurance. 

I LOVE paint pots too! 

its great when you don't have time, you can just set it with an e/s and done

I like Milani and Too Faced shadow insurance. 

I love my UDPP, I haven't used the Lorac one before.I use p

I will be honest in saying I use primers and bases/paint pots all depending on the look I'm going for or what I'm trying to achieve. My frequent pairings are:

UDPP + Mac Paintpots

UDPP + Maybelline Color Tattoos

UDPP + NYX Eyeshadow Base in Milk [Jar form mostly]

I used up an UDPP last year and really enjoyed that one. I then got a mac paint pot in painterly. I'm trying to use that one up as i got a sample of the Lorac primer with my ProPalette and I also have a sample of the too faced shadow insurance from some random kit I got a while ago too. I just can't seem to get through that paint pot, but I want to use it up so it doesn't dry out and I waste my  money on it. 

I don't always use eye primer, but NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base is my go-to -- UDPP is great, too, but I prefer NARS because it's traceless and it works so well! Smiley Happy

I love all of UD's eye primers, but my go to everyday one is by Milani.  Yes it is a drugstore brand but it is the best!  It is only $5.99 for a tube & lasts forever.  It has great staying power! We all spend alot of money on makeup, so I like to save a little where I can.  I have been using the same tube for about 8 months now & it is just starting to run out.  Definitely check it out.

I use something that isn't (primarily) marketed as eye shadow primer, but it works well. It's Anastasia Eye Lights Matte (brow highlighter). My shadow stays on well and I can blend it easily. What's nice is that I can go back and highlight the browbone (after applying my shadow) if needed. I tend to either do natural or smokey looks where I layer on a few colors, so this is perfect!

i have used urban decay for years and love it but ever since they changed the tube which is great to get more out the primer is starting to separate anyone else notice this?

1 Reply
Conversation Stats