Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Everything Eyes
|

What does everyone think of the ABH Subculture palette?!

What are your pros and cons of the new Subculture palette? Is it is as hard to blend as some say? Pigmented or chalky? Cannot wait to hear what everyone thinks! 

RE: What does everyone think of the ABH Subculture palette?!

Honestly I tried to get an even keel of reliable reviews and photos and it really comes down to blending technique and quality/texture of the brushes. While a lot of the blowback has been about how people will never use those colors I think it's a good palette that can be combined with others to create interesting and fun looks. However I'm not moved enough to purchase it full price lol.

I think it's gorgeous but even with my makeup addiction I...

I think it's gorgeous but even with my makeup addiction I know I would never use it. The bad reviews don't phase me, it's for advanced people, not for everyone.

Re: What does everyone think of the ABH Subculture palette?!

I'm kind of upset because I wanted it to work. And I know I would be able to make it work. The fall out wasn't a problem for me. If Cube and Electric had more shimmer, and if the mattes were easier to blend (because pigmentation was definitely not a problem), then I wouldn't be questioning it. But as a freelance (certified) makeup artist who doesn't bring in a lot of money, it was not worth the price. 

Even after the slew of bad reviews, I was tempted to buy it anyway because the colors are really amazing. I finally came to the conclusion that it doesn't matter how beautiful they are in the pan if they don't work on the eyelids. I ended up making myself an Inglot palette, as it turned out I already had their versions of many of the Subculture colors. These are the ones I ordered to round it out. 

Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 1.47.20 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-08-02 at 1.47.10 PM.png

It ended up costing a bit more, but I don't have to worry about getting one from the 'bad batch' or whatever the problem seems to be. 

I havent tried it personally but I was put off by all the bad reviews 🙁. It's Sade because I personally would've loved to use those colours
Anonymous Insider

I think all the bad reviews are ridiculous. Apparently one said that ABH DID admit to having a bad batch but by the time it reached Sephora that problem should be long gone. If they bought it on the ABH site the review should be there. I personally don't like the colors you'd definitely need to scan it for something that could go together or use another palette with it. I'll probably buy it anyways just because I'm a sucker for ABH. But yeah it definitely isn't your usual nude or blendable palette but definitely has some unique potential for that 'what eyeshadow are you wearing?' look. If you only have very nude palettes I'd say you probably wouldn't like it if it just isn't your thing. But if you love pops of color and have other shadows to combine with these go for it. Honestly it's not limited edition or anything so feel free to wait it out if you're short on cash like me. Sephora will restock if it sells out. The fact that it hasn't sold out yet says a lot. I'd say wait and look at hashtags and videos etc see how it looks on the eyes and I heard better reviews on darker skin colors so.

Re: RE: What does everyone think of the ABH Subculture palette?!

Didn't the Subculture palette only release on the ABH site a week or two ago? How do you figure that was enough time for ABH to identify and correct the problem before shipments go to Sephora?

Re: RE: What does everyone think of the ABH Subculture palette?!

Where did you hear that the bad batch was contained to the ABH website and didn't reach other retailers?  

I ordered it and I can't wait for it to come in! I think the colors are fun and inspiring. I have seen a lot of good reviews plus bad ones. So I guess we will see. I'll post something when I get it =]

I'm so confused about this pallet. I have seen the swatches online and watched reviews and demo's from multiple reputable Youtubers, I am so bummed, I mean they nailed the Modern Renaissance. I was so so excited for this pallet, even more when I saw the colors 😞 I expected the formula not to change since they were so on point with their last pallet. I'm going to purchase it, but if it's not up to my standards, I will just return it and wait till they fix all the kinks.  

I personally LOVE the colors and think it's a great addition to the collection but I have to say something is up with the formula. If you look at the ingredients of her other palettes and then compare them to the Subculture it's the first and only to have Talc as the first ingredient instead of Mica. Wondering if that made a difference since the textures and application are totally different than what Anastasia shadow lovers have come to expect. 

I think there's some user error coming with the new formula as well, since they do behave SO differently than the rest of her shadows. But i'm going to be returning mine since i'm actually allergic to Talc and the formula change makes the shadows harder for me personally to use. 

Its getting some really horrible reviews.  It seems like there might be a bad batch out there.

Although honestly all the drama kind of makes me want to buy it to see if it really is that bad xD

I don't think it's a batch problem. I think a lot of it has to do with switching from Mica to Talc.

RE: Re: What does everyone think of the ABH Subculture palette?!

i ordered mine online the day it was released and after playing w it for a few days i emailed anastasia and even told them i think i might have gotten a bad batch. the pigmentation in the shimmer shadows are just not good. like they dont apply well with a brush or your fingers. the mattes are good but still like i am disappointed. look at the pigmentation of cube and electric for example. & thats me pressing really hard. ugh

Re: RE: Re: What does everyone think of the ABH Subculture palette?!

Omg! I was really excited about getting this palette but I think I will pass for now.. too many bad reviews with fallout and patchiness - they did say they would refund bad palettes.. maybe they will release again with a better batch/quality? We can hope!

RE: Re: What does everyone think of the ABH Subculture palette?!

Those swatches look horrible 😭 definitely not up to par from the other ABH palettes and shadows.
16 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 17 Hearts Given
  • 15 Contributors
Photos7
  • Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 1.47.20 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 1.47.10 PM.png
testing