Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Everything Eyes
|

Undereye S.O.S

I desperately need advise please! Every time I apply concealer under my eyes, it really makes my fine lines noticeable and my under eye ends up looking dry and my makeup never looks smooth. I use good skincare and makeup from Sephora. I have tried numerous types of concealer and I cannot set with powder, it just makes it SO dry and cakey looking. Is there something I am missing? Should I apply a better, moisturizing cream? A foundation under the concealer? A makeup setting spray instead of setting with a powder? Yet, when I don't wear makeup my under eye area looks fine, not dry and you can barely see any fine lines, its only when I apply makeup it never looks good to me. Yet I need something there to make my makeup look good when I wear foundation to blend my face together. Any ideas or products I should consider?? 

RE: Undereye S.O.S

YSL TOUCHÉ LATE (#2)is an amazing product! worth every penny, does not dry out or sink into creases and is very user friendly:) must have, I never leave home without it!

RE: Undereye S.O.S

I will make it simple hehe: TATCHA has an amazing under eye cream, three different colours. This brand is amazing and the ingredients are top quality! This will brighten and moisturizer your eyes! Try a sample next time you are by a store they go for a long time! COVER FX love the concealer it is super light it is one I use and make sure you are using a brush to blend your concealer! Makes a HUGE difference, with the Tatcha cream no brush needed though hehe. FENTY setting powder, just ordered this but a ton of reviews say this helped with your problem you are having!! Good luck, xoxox.

Re: Undereye S.O.S

Thanks for posing this question; I needed the same advice! I can't count the number (or amount of $$$ wasted) of under eye concealers, primers, powder combinations that didn't work (Tacha pearl illuminating was one of the worst, disappointed). Appreciate all who gave recommendations. I will try the Kora oil and Belief. Normally I avoid oils, my skin is very oily and heavy moisturizers gave me milia. I live in humid environment so doubt it's weather, but last few months have been awful with crinkles under my eyes and troughs that are getting dark!  FWIW, I'm 63 so may just have to accept it's age related but fillers aren't in my future (well, yet).

Anonymous Insider

Try these:

Hello FAB Coconut Skin Smoothie Priming Moisturizer $35

Which skin type is it good for?
✔ Normal
✔ Oily
✔ Combination
✔ Dry
✔ Sensitive

What it is:
A superfood-powered, oil-free priming moisturizer that brightens, smooths, and visibly blurs pores and imperfections, while leaving skin with a natural, dewy glow.

Cover FX Mattifying Setting Spray $39

What it is:
A weightless, alcohol-free setting spray that locks in makeup for all-day wear with a matte finish.

What it does:
Mattifying Setting Spray weightlessly sets makeup for comfortable, all-day wear. It imparts a modern-matte finish, and helps prevent makeup from fading, settling, cracking, or melting. This quick-drying, alcohol-free formula is designed to provide all-day shine control while keeping your foundation, blush, eyeshadow, and concealer in place without feeling sticky, greasy, or drying.

What under-eye issue(s) are you trying to solve with concealer? Are you trying to mask discoloration (very dark circles, redness, hyperpigmentation)? Are you using concealer to “brighten” the center of your face? Or are you just trying to make your under-eyes match/blend in with your overall foundation? Also, which concealer do you use? 

A few suggestions from someone who has both fine lines and wrinkles (uh, not-so-fine lines 😂) under her dry under-eyes: 

Try using your foundation under your eyes instead of concealer. I saw you considering that elsewhere in this thread, and that’s a good idea. For me, the fewer layers of makeup under my eyes, the better. If you’re not masking discoloration, then you probably don’t need concealer there. Foundation alone would suffice. 

Apply moisturizer to damp skin. After washing/toning, if your under-eyes are dry, tap some water on them before adding a moisturizer. Your moisturizer should seal that hydration into your skin. 

Use a moisturizer that plumps your skin, and/or one that targets lines/wrinkles. Theoretically, it should reduce the depth of your fine lines by plumping things up a bit (without creating eye bags). Once your lines are deeper set, no eye cream or oil will erase them. Only injectable fillers can do that. But a good moisturizer can soften them a bit. My favorite moisturizers that Sephora sells are BELIF - Moisturizing Eye Bomb and KORA Organics Noni Glow Radiant Eye Oil .34 oz / 10 mL). I also use a Lancôme eye cream Sephora doesn’t sell. 

Moisturize the heck out of your under-eyes. Depending on how dry your skin is, that could mean applying one layer of moisturizer, giving it 2-5 minutes to absorb, then applying a second layer of that same moisturizer, and maybe even a third layer if needed. 

My AM routine is eye serum (currently DR. DENNIS GROSS SKINCARE - Ferulic + Retinol Triple Correction Eye Serum ), Lancôme eye cream, Belif eye cream, and sunscreen. The Lancôme cream targets wrinkles but isn’t moisturizing enough on its own, so I add the Belif cream over it. If my skin seems particularly dry that morning, I apply a second layer of the Belif cream. My PM routine is face serum (the one I use all over my face also goes under my eyes), Lancôme eye cream, and Kora eye oil. I use the eye oil only at night because of my eye sensitivity issues. 

Avoid your lines if possible. This is tricky depending on where your lines are and why you’re using concealer in the first place. I use concealer to mask darkness, and I very rarely use foundation on my face. Some mornings, my darkness is primarily in my sunken tear troughs, so that’s exactly where I apply concealer—and I apply only the tiny amount needed for that task. I don’t carry it up toward my deeper set wrinkles. That way, there’s no chance of creasing. 🙂 Other mornings, I’ve got dark circles completely under my eyes and have to decide if I wanna bother covering them or not. 

Accept that all concealers crease. I’ve tried various concealers by NARS, Huda, Lancôme, MUFE, Glossier, Tarte, MAC, Shashbox, Too Faced, BareMinerals, Bobbi Brown, Sephora, and others I’m forgetting right now. They all fall into lines. ALL of them. Even the ones that claim not to. So, don’t rely on a concealer’s “no creasing” claims. 😂 Instead, rely on your under-eye skincare. 

Try an under-eye primer. Some primers claim to fill lines, which could be useful under your eyes. This is something I’ve done only a few times, with varied results. Doesn’t have to be a special under-eye primer; it could be an all-over-your-face primer. I can’t really recommend specific ones because I’ve yet to be impressed by one used this way. 

If you hate setting powders, you could try using an eyeshadow primer under your eyes to help hold your concealer in place. 

I know this was a long post... I hope some of this was helpful! 

@WinglessOne you are an amazing wealth of info thank you....

@WinglessOne you are an amazing wealth of info thank you. and you probably helped prevent me from continuing to buy faulty concealer! I will try the foundation instead and up my skincare regimen although I do religiously use under eye products. I will try the belif I have not tried it and I do use the Boissance rose oil and the herbivore Phoenix can I use those oils under my eyes??

Re: @WinglessOne you are an amazing wealth of info thank you....

Thanks @Anlynne ! 🙂 I’m glad I could help. 

If an oil doesn’t come with an “avoid the eye area” warning, then I don’t see why you couldn’t try it under your eyes. I think Biossance suggests using their oils over their eye gel as additional moisturizers if needed; pretty sure I read that once on their eye gel product page. I’ve used Herbivore Emerald oil on my dry crepey eyelids and under my eyes a few times. If you ever plan to use an oil on your lids, start with the teeniest tiniest amount—less than half a drop for both lids—unless your eyes generally don’t get irritated by oils. The Herbivore emerald oil moisturizes my under-eyes, but not as well as the Kora eye oil. It’s also not as plumping as the Kora oil. I’ve never used Herbivore Phoenix so I can’t really comment on that one. 

Whichever product(s) you decide to use, I hope they work for you! 

Re: @WinglessOne you are an amazing wealth of info thank you....

@Anlynne The reason why these photoshopped people in ads and "beauty gurus" never have creasing is because they have fillers under their eyes. I'm so self conscious I've looked into this; if I had the means to maintain upkeep I'd probably do it. But I don't. Like @WinglessOne said, moisturizer! I use a few of the same ones she does, KORA Organics Noni Glow Radiant Eye Oil .34 oz / 10 mL

DR. DENNIS GROSS SKINCARE - Ferulic + Retinol Triple Correction Eye Serum.

I apply layersssss of Noni eye oil. I use my foundation as concealer and find so much less creasing then with a heavy, thick concealer. 

Hi @Anlynne ,

I am going to ask a few others opinions, 

@darlyndar , @faeriegirl , @WinglessOne , @txcatx , @greeneyedgirl107 , @Indy701 , @RebeccaBT , Hi All, I think one of the problems is the concealer, I think it’s the first worst, I know going into a Sephora and getting help is probably the best bet, but I just wondered what you think re: the concealer?

Thanks Everyone!  SuzieQ.  😊

@SuzieQJ I think it depends on which concealer we’re talking about. 🙂 I’ve tried many (MANY) concealers and honestly, there’s no such thing as crease-proof concealer. But yeah, some are worse than others depending on your skin type and condition. Folks will get sick of me bashing Tarte Shape Tape but good grief, that stuff’s terrible for dry skin—well, my dry skin. 

I’d focus on skincare first, concealer second. Even the best concealer in the world needs a well hydrated and moisturized base to sit on. 

@WinglessOne thank you so much for taking the time to hel...

@WinglessOne thank you so much for taking the time to help me out!!

Hi @WinglessOne , 

Oh My, I’m so very sorry, I only saw your last post at first, your first one covered everything, so sorry, don’t be sorry the post is long, that’s one of the reasons I tagged you, because You know you’re stuff & I highly value your opinion and she needed our help, Thank You So Much, for helping, You are so wonderful, there are like a handful of my Favourites on here and You are 1 of them!!!

@Anlynne , she is So Amazing!!!

❤️‘S, SuzieQ. 

Aw, thanks @SuzieQJ ! I hope you like the Belif and Kora products! Also, you might really like that CeraVe eye cream. You mentioned you’ve just started using it. If it works well for you, that’ll be great since it’s more readily available in different stores and a better value, cost wise, than the Belif eye cream. 🙂 

Urban Decay’s concealer hurt my feelings, man. 😄 So did Charlotte Tilbury’s, which bummed me out because I love a few other CT products. This week I tried a sample of Jouer’s concealer and was kinda impressed, so I’ll buy a full size to test. 

Oh, and The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors works great for you! I have a sample I haven’t gotten around to trying yet. My skin’s rough and scaly only in specific areas, but it’s generally dry everywhere (except my nose, which is an oil slick). For my hands, CeraVe’s moisturizing cream usually works well. But I’ll put The Ordinary to the super dry elbows and ankles test soon. 

Hi @WinglessOne ,

I will have to try CeraVe’s Moisturizing cream,   they have a few products that are at a 5 star rating on Beautypedia, (which @greeneyedgirl107 told me about), it’s a great resource, I like how it rates each product as most often certain products of a brand are much better - & I can see what you mean by hurt your feelings, sometimes a product is so bad you just don’t know how a good brand could produce a product unworthy of it’s name - 😐

I think the CeraVe Eye Repair Cream, (only started it a few days ago), I can not be sure how Moisturizing it will be, I’m more impressed with the vast , usually expensive, numerous wonderful anti aging ingredients all wrapped up into one cream, I think I will still probably need more hydration, when I was in Nova Scotia, approximately 2 months ago, my under eye issues were almost nonexistent, it’s a lot more humid there, so that’s got to be lack of moisture with my already dry skin + living in one of the driest provinces!??  I have also started using (for about a week), The Drunk Elephant Lala Retro & The Littles, (the one with the Shaba serum), it surprises me that after I shower or steam my face & apply the Shaba Serum, then the Marula oil, then Lala Retro, My used to be very slight, hardly noticeable forehead lines, just disappear, for the whole time until I use it again, so again I’m assuming it’s the being too dry. 

@greeneyedgirl107 , also said CeraVe’s PM moisturizer is really good, so I can’t wait to try that too!

My First Charlotte Tilbury product & my first Jouer product, even my first Natasha Denona product, all were SO AWFUL that I have never tried any other products of all 3 brands, except for Natasha Denona, only because I heard people Rave about her Eyeshadows & I do love them, however the 3 above brands first product that I tried were so awful, they literally did nothing, could not show up on your skin, no matter how you applied them, my first thought was “who buys this _ _ _ _???!!!”  I thought they were worse than $1 products at a thrift store , let alone drug store, lol, & it was right when I started shopping at Sephora & I couldn’t believe anywhere would sell something like that, really worst products of the brand to try first, what CT products are good?  What Jouer products are good?

I can’t wait to try Kora & Belif, they have to be amazing for everyone to love them so much, will be fun!!!

So interesting that you have dry skin everywhere except your nose, I am so surprised...well at least it’s easier treating 1 little area different, then having patches all over!

Talk Soon,

❤️‘S, SuzieQ. 

@SuzieQJ Sometimes I wish the oil factory in the middle of my face could efficiently spread all that oil to the rest of my face. 😄 It sure would make my face less dry! Even in the coldest windiest weather—like our recent deep freeze—my face will be dry (if I didn’t moisturize well enough) and stinging everywhere except my shiny greasy nose area. 

CeraVe makes some good stuff. A friend of mine with dry skin loves their hydrating cleanser. He also uses their eye cream, moisturizer, and sunscreen. He’s got his wife hooked on CeraVe, too. 🙂 

About Charlotte Tilbury products: I’m a big fan of the Airbrush Flawless Finishing Powder. It works well for me as an under-eye setting powder, but sometimes I skip concealer altogether and just pat/roll that powder over my under-eye darkness. It doesn’t completely hide the dark areas, but it brightens them up enough that I don’t feel like a zombie. It contains sweet almond oil which helps moisturize my skin, and it blurs my lines a bit. I also love CT’s Legendary Lashes Vol. 2 mascara, since receiving a tube as a late birthday gift. It’s my new favorite mascara. I like my Rebel eyeshadow quad and some of the cream shadow pots. 

Some folks love the CT Magic Away concealer, but it didn’t work well for me at all. It chiseled my lines and was too drying, plus I had trouble finding a good color match for my skin tone. 

A friend of mine hates Natasha Denona eyeshadows, so you’re not alone there. 🙂 She thinks they’re too soft and require too much effort to build up. I’ve used a mini (5-pan) palette with no problems, but all ND palettes don’t contain the same shadow formulas—and what works great for one person might not for another. 

Oh, and Lala Retro is a great moisturizer. I use it on deep freeze (-10F and colder) days instead of my usual face moisturizer, and it really saves my skin. For me, it’s too heavy for warmer temps. But as you’ve discovered, it’s great in dry air environments for dry skin. Glad it’s working for you! 

Hi @WinglessOne ,

When I was looking at the UD concealer, I was immediately told it shows lines you would normally never see, I have tried many that are like that, but you are probably correct look at the whole picture, moisture is a big deal if you have dry skin, oh, I was going to tell you, as I know we both share Very Dry Skin, I posted on Skincare, I can’t remember if I tagged you?  I have been trying multiple creams/serums from Sephora lately, (next order I will be getting the Belif Moisturizing Eye Bomb, that you recommend), Interesting my hands are dry as sandpaper my Guy says, I tried The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA & it’s the only thing that I can apply to my hands & they are instantly silky smooth, no evidence of rough, dry skin, I haven’t yet tried it on my face yet, but I wanted to let you know!  Also no greasy finish, just silky smooth.  If @Anlynne , depending on your skin, I have been getting pretty good results with Drunk Elephant - The Littles, the one including Shaba Serum, it’s nice because you can kind of cater to your skins needs by using more or less of one of the 3 types of moisturizers (a cream, a serum, a oil), also I have started CeraVe Eye Repair Cream, $12 - $20, depending where you live & where you buy, @WinglessOne , Loves Belif Moisturizing Eye Bomb, here is a picture of the awesome ingredients in the CeraVe:

❤️‘S, SuzieQ. 

E8928F0E-293C-40E7-87F3-63DA1A48D512.jpeg

05AE079B-6B08-453F-98AC-527E79A02B70.jpeg

Just an FYI but both Aquaphor & Neutrogena both have really amazing hand balms that are by the best things I’ve found for truly dry, cracked and damaged extremities. Aquaphor’s product is called Aquaphor Healing Ointment Advanced Therapy while Neutrogena’s is called Norwegian Formula Hand Cream and I’ve used it for years and can’t say enough good things about it. The best part is that you can buy Neutrogena’s hand cream anywhere from Walmart to CVS to Amazon, usually for somewhere between $5-$6. 

Hi @WinglessOne  & @Anlynne ,

Sorry I forgot to mention, @WinglessOne , in my basket right now are the Belif you recommended & Kora - Noni Eye oil, I am getting them ASAP, I was thinking of waiting for a 20% off time, but I may just have to get them sooner, 😊🙏🏻, Thanks So Much For Your Wonderful Advice!!!

❤️‘S, SuzieQ. 

I like the Tatcha The Pearl Tinted Eye Illuminating Treatment Moonlight

That container will last me for a long time. Application takes a while to get used to, but if you want to put concealer for more coverage, you only need a little bit 

Hi @Anlynne ,

I have a couple suggestions for you, for me I find if I get out of the shower (make sure to give my face a good steam, from Warmer, yet not too warm water), if not I use a face cloth and try to hold it after soaking it in as warm water as comfortable, long enough, repeating add warmer water and steaming face, then just while your face still has moisture, but not soaking wet of course, then I use a Serum or cream that I normally would (all over my face, if you want to use a Eye one different than the face one, it should be fine, really before I put makeup on I just try to use one that works, don’t go overboard with it, just enough).

After that has a little time to absorb, your face should feel good and not greasy or slick just good, there is a great Mac 24 hour coverage concealer & there is a really good Lancome one.  

Many concealers wind up making your under eyes look way older, as you said than even before you wear makeup.  Those are not for most, it is unfortunate so many like it are out there.  Then apply a great foundation, depending on the coverage you want, they have a good Lancome one, it is a new one for me, I had been wearing a Mac before this. What I use as a powder is just my blush/bronzer that I put on my cheeks, after on my cheeks I use my brush to just gently dust all over, giving slight color, but just enough, then apply your makeup, another option is going Pur Minerals 4 in one, which I have recently purchased to see if it would be nice and lighter & it is & is even Husband approved!!!  I am thinking of trying the Lancome Dual finish powder, I already have their concealer & it seems to be a great product from what I have read, I am going to get color matched soon. 

I don’t know if you’ve ever used Lancome, I didn’t even look at it until a friend who is a beautician suggested it to me, I don’t use all their products, mostly the ones that I have mentioned and the CILS Mascara Primer Booster, with a Lancome Mascara, I like Defencils, I have heard the Mr. Big also be recommended quite a bit.  I hope this will help you!  Let me know?

Thanks, SuzieQ. 

Conversation Stats
  • 37 replies
  • 60 Hearts Given
  • 15 Contributors
Photos2
  • 05AE079B-6B08-453F-98AC-527E79A02B70.jpeg
  • E8928F0E-293C-40E7-87F3-63DA1A48D512.jpeg
testing