cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Everything Eyes
|

Tell us about your favorite mascara!

Hi Ladies!

Time to talk about mascara! I am usually pretty loyal to my favorite mascaras and it really takes a lot for a mascara to impress me. Last week, I tried Bare Minerals Lash Domination Volumizing Mascara for the first time. I was immediately blown away! The brush is absolutely amazing. I love how you can twist it every which way creating a ton of volume and length. 

My natural lashes are short and straight. I usually have to stick to waterproof formulas because I find that waterproof formulas hold curl in my lashes a little bit better than non-waterproof formulas. This mascara held curl just as well as any waterproof formula. It is also very easy to remove! I really love it Heart

Tell us all about your current favorite mascara! What are your natural eyelashes like? How did this mascara compare to other mascaras you have tried? 🙂

<3, Randee

Re: Tell us about your favorite mascara!

I love the YSL Baby Doll too! Dior Extase was one of my first favorite mascaras! Have you ever tried the original Dior Iconic Mascara? That one is great too! The brush kind of reminds me of the brush that the Babydoll mascara has, but it's a little thicker so it builds up some dramatic volume!upload_7772716532929845356.jpg

<3, Randee
Anonymous Insider

My lashes are pretty long and curly to begin with but they aren't very dark or thick.  My 2 favorite mascaras are Lancome Doll Lashes and Tarte Lights Camera Lashes.

The Lancome Doll Lashes make my lashes really full and doll like.  They look awesome when I do a dramatic smoky eye.  I always get a lot of compliments whenever I use it.

Tarte Lights Camera Lashes is my everyday mascara.  It darkens my lashes and just plays up my natural lashes without going overboard.

There has been only one mascara that I can say I love so much, but can't wear it anymore. It's from Flower Beauty (Drew Barrymore's collection) and it was the Zoom-In Mascara. There are 3 different brushes in one, and the formula was REALLY good. 

But I'm not sure what happened, but I started getting this reaction where I felt like I had something in my eye, and it bugged like hell towards the night. I had to go to sleep with a warm cloth pad for the feeling to go away. But I'm not sure if its because the mascara wen't bad really fast, or what. 

I kind of want to try it again, but then again I don't. 

I'm using Maybelline's Bombshell mascara right now and it works well. I have like 4 high end mascara's, and I hate all of them.  Benefit They're Real, Bare Minerals Lash Domination clumps like crazy, MUFE Mascara is horrible, and Blinc. The only one I even remotely like is Too Faced Better Than Sex, but meh. 

I don't see the point of spending a lot on mascara, as I wear glasses all the time so they're kinda lost. Heh! 

My lashes are not short, but not long. They're not completely straight, but slightly. On their own, they're just fine and I could get away with not wearing mascara. I love mascara though for opening my eyes, making me look doe-eyed and awake.

My favorite mascara is the Diorshow Iconic Overcurl. It separates the lashes, giving them a little length, and helps them to hold a curl. It's great for everyday. I was pairing it with regular Diorshow, but have now discovered Guerlain Maxi Lash. OMG, the volume. It's so perfect. No spidery lashes or clumps, just perfect volume and length. Some people can't get past the smell, but I don't mind it at all. All because of a sample from a TSB! Yay!

I love the Diorshow Iconic Overcurl Mascara, jellybean917! It's a terrific formula! 

<3, Randee

My two current faves can't be found at Sephora.   😞

My natural lashes are a decent length and dark.  They could be fuller. 

Shu Uemura Stretch Xtreme Precise Finish --gives me really long lashes and good separation. Doesn't flake, holds curl. Looks good after one coat, looks fantastic after two. I found the formula to improve about a week after opening.  

Chantecaille Faux Cils --This gives me the prettiest, natural looking lashes. Holds curl.  Length, separation. No clumping or flaking.  Can add more coats for drama. 

If I want dramatic lashes...I'll use one of the two above as a base and finish with something like Too Faced Better Than Sex. 

I work at a spa and got the Bare Minerals Mascara as a gift with a bunch other goodies from BM for a conference they had for our region, and I loved the Mascara, I think I had an  allergic reaction to it because it made my eyes itch and swell. I do agree, it is a wonderful mascara and we always sell out quickly. 

My favorites are Too Faced-Better Than Sex Mascara, I feel like my makeup routine is not complete unless I have this mascara on. My eyelashes always look thick and never clumpy and really long! NO fallout either, I was using They're Real and always had the worst fallout, most of my MAC mascaras are notorious for that as well. 

My other favorite is the Guerlain Maxi lash, I love this mascara, I use this when I want a more natural look and it never clumps. I wish the smell wasn't too strong, but I can tolerate it. 

I just ordered the new Dior Mascara and should be here later today! I have really high hopes for that mascara. 

I love mascaras.  I think they're the simplest and easiest way to accentuate one's eyes.  So I'm always on the hunt for the best.  I will try anything once.  My natural lashes are sorta long but straight.

My current favorites: 

Givenchy Noir Couture and Phenomeneyes.  These 2 give awesome curl and definition to the lashes.  The phenomeneyes is a bit more particular with the lengthening but both are equal in my book.

Honorable mentions:

Kevyn Aucoin the Volume -  It has a small skinny brush that is like a magic wand.  It comes off with just water too.

YSL Faux Cills in Burgundy - Good formula, adds volume but the color really adds a subtle pop to my brown eyes which is a nice change from traditional black

Anonymous Insider

Hi Randee,

I'm super picky about mascaras, and am not too impressed by many of them.  However, when I do find one I love, I'm very loyal to it like you.  Currently, I love Benefit They're Real! mascara because it gives me super dark, lush length and volume.  It's harder to remove than other mascaras, but I like that, because I wear contacts so I don't have to worry about it smudging into my eyes. 

I also love Eyeko Skinny Brush Mascara for the same reasons.  This mascara doesn't seem to be as well known as the Benefit, but it is just as amazing! 

🙂 -Laura

Benefit Cosmetics - They're Real! Mascara

I still need to try the Eyeko Skinny Brush Mascara, Laura! I think that may be the next mascara I purchase!

<3, Randee

My lashes are long, with a lot of natural curl, but a little thin. Primarily I look for volume-building mascaras. I don't need additional length as much as I need plumping!

On a daily basis I typically wear a drug store Maybelline mascara which works... all right for me. I find that I dislike how many of them smudge onto my cheeks and flake away. I'm currently stashing away some higher-end mascaras to try one by one. I'm particularly interested in Lancome Definicils, Diorshow Overcurl (or the new colored mascaras), Chanel Le Volume and Guerlain Maxilash. We'll see what I end up liking in, oh, several months. 😄

I just picked up the new Dior mascara in Blue. It arrived today. I can't wait to try it out!

You will have to let us know how you like it, BuxomBabe80! 🙂

<3, Randee

My lashes are short, curly, and on the sparser side (but not too sparse).

Lancome Hypnose Star mascara - this gives me beautiful full lashes. In the sense that I use two coats and I like when my lashes kind of clump together so they're more dramatic. Not in a spider-y way per se but like a pair of falsies marketed like "doll lashes." Also gives me a lot of length too! Flakes a tiny bit by the end of the day, not every day but on some occasions.

Guerlain Maxi Lash - I use this when I want to look like I have a million lashes. Doesn't do as much for length. Black. More of a daytime romantic lash.

Maybelline The Falsies - similar effect to Lancome Hypose Star but no flaking. Doesn't get quite as clumpy or dramatic as the Lancome formula. I love this one. I'll choose it over the other two anyday considering we're talking mascara and that has to be replaced a lot.

http://www.sephora.com/maxi-lash-P377276?skuId=1473503

http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?keyword=LANC%C3%B4ME%20Hypn%C3%B4se%20Star%20Mascar...

All three get bonus points for not transferring terribly to my upper lid (hooded eyes). I used to use Diorshow Blackout and it was terrible at transferring. And yes, I have oily lids and droopy lids but I am not a waterproof mascara girl. I want something easy to remove and also I don't feel like they build volume as much. I couldn't get down with the Benefit They're Real! or BM Lash Domination (although BM is my favorite brand) because they are that dry non-waterproof formula that is a pain in the butt to remove (well, just requires make up remover that is, but I want it to come off with my creamy cleanser). Too Faced Better than Sex is the same way but I like the effect that one gives... but not enough to deal with using a separate eye make up remover!

bblog7.jpg

My favorite mascara to date, has to be my Benefit Cosmetic's They're Real! mascara.

Reasons I love it?

1. I have oily eye lids and in general, an eye area which is prone to breaking down even the toughest of product formula's. This mascara is hands down, the most resistant to smudging and bleeding. That doesn't mean it doesn't eventually break down on my face, it means that it takes like 8-10 hours before I need to be concerned. That means, that on a regular person, this should last all day!

2. When I open a fresh tube, the consistency of the product is definitely more liquidy than when I am on the last few weeks of the product. However, this is not a bad thing. It is just as effective whether or not it is liquidy or more dry, if anything, it acts as a way to tell me that I will need to change out my tube soon, without falling below the standard of excellence the product provides me.

3. VOLUME! I almost never wear fake lashes and it's probably because when I use this product, I don't need to. My lashes are considerably plumped up, but in a very natural way, while still being very "va-va-voom!"

4. Lengthening! It's not enough to just have voluminous lashes because then you have thick stubby lashes which are not flattering. The length this product adds is unreal! Most other products which boast the "fake lash" appearance are usually products which require you to prep your lashes, add fibers, then set them. Over time, the fibers clump the formula and applicator, and honestly, look more chunky.

5. Eye friendly 🙂 I don't experience any irritation, in my eye, waterline, surrounding eye area. Sometimes mascara can bleed into your eye and it can cause little bumps in the waterline from clogged pores and/or cause sensitivity in the eye area, this formula has been awesome at not doing that. I have been using this for over a year with no issue.

6. Combo friendly. Some girls like to use multiple mascara's for different needs or maybe they found the perfect combo for their eye type. This mascara works great alone or in conjunction with other formula's.

7.Great value. The price is not too high and not so low that you might be skeptical about the quality. One tube lasts me at least 2 months, and that is with daily application. The packaging, the brand culture, the way it is presented...I love it all!

My lashes are naturally long, but they do not stand out a...

My lashes are naturally long, but they do not stand out and are not too curved, so I need mascara for them be noticed.
My absolute favorite is the Hypnose Drama by Lancome. But on a daily bases I also like to put on the Better than Sex Mascara from Too Faced.

I have a lot of minis from different brands right now that I need to start going through. Maybe I will find other loves!
I also like to use Maybelline mascaras at times because I used to wear them for years before switching to mid-end high-end brands. And they work pretty well for me too.

Re: My lashes are naturally long, but they do not stand out a...

I love Hypnose Drama too, Emmy89! I still haven't tried the Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara. It's definitely next on my wish list. 😉

<3, Randee

Maybe I'm the odd one out, but I really do not like the Better Than Sex Mascara! I tried a sample that came in the kit with the lip injection and it flaked all over my face, like everywhere! It was so clumpy too, which is why I had to comb out my lashes so much. I think I still have two other samples of it from other kits (Beauty Blogger and the Sephora sample one that's sold out), so I'll give it another shot. But so far I've been really disappointed. I do really like the Hypnose Drama!

Hi @BuxomBabe80, I understand you. I got the BTS mascara on the Beauty Bloggers set, and I`ve been using because It was one of the first mascaras I got last month, and I don`t like to have more than 3 open at the same time, so I keep it using until it dries. I like it, it doesn`t get everywhere on my face, and it`s a great effect for my quick everyday work look, but it`s far from being a HG. I`ll be more than happy to keep on using minis I get with purchases, but I`m not sure I would buy it full size. The Lancome one, even though I have a few minis, I still buy full sizes because I really love it. Soon I`ll replace the BTS with other minis and might find something new!

Conversation Stats
Photos2
  • bblog7.jpg
  • upload_7772716532929845356.jpg
testing