Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Everything Eyes
|

Suggestions for brands for sensitive skin?

Hello! I am a bit of a newbie to doing eye make up. I was much more a lip color and skin care girl, but after getting higher-end make up recently, I love doing my eye make up! However, I keep getting styes (2 within the past month--i have tossed my mascaras and liners and primer), irritation around my eyes and sometimes rashes on my eyelids. I am currently using the Naked 2 Palette, Too Faced Shadow Insurance primer, Stila Liquid eyeliner, tarte mascara primer and Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara. Do any of these products bother anyone, or are there other products that will not bother my skin as much? My skin typically is not this sensitive. It seems to be just around my eyes. I am open to all suggestions! I clean my brushes regularly and use isopropyl alcohol on them to make sure they are disinfected, so I do not think that is an issue. However though--open to suggestions! Thank you in advance!!!

I have been having the exact same issue with styes! Not from makeup but from different face creams & masks. I have oily skin and eyes and the products seep into my eyes over the course of the day. I have 4 face masks out of a set of 6 left that I am going to need to give away - every time I use it some essense runs into my eyes & I have a stye for the next few days. I feel for you! P.S. I also avoid all under eye concealers and waterline eyeliners. I can use above the eye ink eyeliners (e.g., Kat Von D tattoo liner).

Re: Suggestions for brands for sensitive skin?

Thank you! I didn’t know about the under eye concealer! I never thought about masks either. I use masks every so often so I should be more careful in where the essence of the mask runs off!! 

I had the same exact problem with the sensitive eye problem. My eyes would water like crazy while doing my makeup & itch so bad. Then at the end of the day after I would remove my makeup the outer corners of my eyes would burn & feel as if they were raw & very sensitive to the touch. I stopped using any makeup wipes or makeup remover on my face to remove my makeup & switched to coconut oil & a Makeup Earase. I also stopped cleaning my brushes with alcohol or brush cleaners. I washed my brushes in Sweet Almond oil, coconut oil & baby soap. My eyes haven't given me one problem since I started doing that. You also may be sensitive to the ingredients in certain makeup. I know some people can be extremely sensitive to Chromium oxides, Dimethicone or even the preservatives some makeup company's use. It's a huge pain but the best way to figure it out is try one product at a time alone. Try switching up how you clean your brushes & removing your makeup & if that's not working then try testing products one at a time. Then it will be a lot easier to narrow it down to the problem.

Re: Suggestions for brands for sensitive skin?

Thank you! You are so right. Testing products on their own should help. I also agree and think washing my brushes and things with Baby soap or a non harsh substance will help. Thanks again!!

RE: Suggestions for brands for sensitive skin?

@llucerne it might just be the alcohol. It’s not meant to be anywhere near your eyes-or I would think. . Try using Cinema Secrets brush cleanser. It’s not a replacement for weekly cleaning with a brush soap, but is is good for disinfecting between uses. Use it sparingly, though. It will eventually ruin the glue if overly used.

Re: RE: Suggestions for brands for sensitive skin?

Thank you so much!

RE: Re: RE: Suggestions for brands for sensitive skin?

@llucerne are you allergic to talc? It’s usually the first ingredient in eyeshadow. Use a primer to keep a barrier between your skin and eyeshadow. That may be it to. And make sure your makeup isn’t expired. This has to be so frustrating for you! I swear we’ll get to the bottom of this! lol

Also, I don’t know if it’s the alcohol because I just started using that after my Styes, but it could explain the irritation around my eyelids for sure! 

RE: Suggestions for brands for sensitive skin?

You may want to ask your Dr. But just as a side note, alcohol on your make up brushes is a sure fire way to destroy them. It will dry your bristles out and degrade them quickly.

Thank you!!! This is so helpful 🙂

No prob, glad to help! I will say that you may have to process of elimination to figure out what's causing it. But it's also possible that it just never fully healed and it relapsed. In the meantime, there may be a period of time where the bacteria are still present despite the stye being present so you may have to continue to rotate your eye products out. If you don't want to keep having to toss your pricy make up like mascara, consider getting one new tube and ordering some disposable wands so you can dip, apply, and toss without reintroducing any bacteria into the fresh tube. Keep washing your brushes with a disinfecting brush soap and those may have some alcohol in them but they should also have some brush conditioners to help prolong their life. Once you're in the clear, if that shampoo is drying out your brushes, you can switch up to something made for reg. cleaning. I love the Beauty Blender solid cleaner. Also, make sure you're washing your hands before and after touching your eye area. They make a make up spray disinfectant that you can spray directly onto the product like compacts, but I haven't used those so I'm not very familiar. Warm moist compresses on your eye will help relieve the stye but you may need some antibiotics from your Dr. to fully get rid of the bacteria that causes it. Lastly, avoid sharing your brushes/make up to prevent you from getting this again and others who may contract the bacteria from you. Had a little more time to respond so I hope this helps.

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 12 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing