Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Everything Eyes
|

Smokey Eye Look

Ok so for the past 2 days I have been practicing doing a smokey look.  Yesterday I used black eyeshadow, then used black liquid liner and applied that from the corner of where my lashes start to the end, then applied black eyeshadow to the bottom of my lash line.  And then I applied mascara.

Today I did the same thing, except I used a dark brown eyeshadow.  And I posted a question a while ago about eyeshadows that would suit my skin tone.  I have black hair, dark dark brown eyes, fair/medium skin tone. I am indian/hindu.  I know that brighter colours suit me, and someone suggested dark browns too.

And so I gave that shot with the smokey look and man I look like I am dead tired.  How can I get the smokey look with darker colors? Or can that be done with lighter colours too? 

Also, when I applied the black eyeshadow, it look werid on my eyelids, was I doing something wrong? I was using the right brushes and blended it as well....I am trying to figure out how to get the smokey look the proper way without looking dead tired and it looking so dull.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Smokey Eye Look

Hey the smokey eye is gorgeous.  Granted it doesnt work on everyone.  However, on you, with your color tones I m sure it would work.  They say that smokey eye can be done with a few different colors.  Ex. black, brown and the very popular purple.  I would suggest that you try a dark gray on your lid and then the black eyeshadow in the crease (in the sideways V shape) and BLEND BLEND BLEND!  Also, try applying the black eyeliner after the shadow. I use a pencil liner which is easier to blend out because we dont want a perfect line.  I also go over the liner with a black eyeshadow to set it.  I hope this works for you, give it a try.  Happy MakeUping!!!

Tags:

To make your brown eyes really stand out, wear an eyeshadow that’s the opposite of your eye shade on the color spectrum.  Brown eyes should be lined with a brown liner, not black—it’s softer yet still dramatic.

Brown eyes can wear almost any combination of colors.  However, some of the best shades for brown eyes are:

• cream / eggshell
  • dark brown
  • plum
  • warm gold
  • deep blue
  • forest green
  • deep grey

A great smoky eye palette with different colors mixed with black is the Urban Decay The Black Palette which you can find at:  http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P272318&categoryId=B70

By the way, this is how I do my smoky eye:  

For a classic gray / black smoky eye, just do the following (it's kind of hard to explain in words, but I'll try):

• Use a medium-size round brush to apply powder in an arch shape just above the crease of the lid.  Then blend down to the lash line.
  • Trace the upper lash line with a soft black pencil, then gently smudge with your fingertip.
  • With a smaller, firm-bristle brush, press a gunmetal shade into the lower lash line.
  • Apply a pale silver powder to the inner corners of the eyes to lighten the overall effect.
  • Pile on mascara and you're done.

However, you don't have to do a gray smoky eye all the time—you can substitute purples, etc., for the gray (and The Black Palette has awesome colors you can use to substitute).  But there are tons of ways to do eye makeup and you can find some online tutorials that are helpful.  Sephora's Beauty Talk home page has some great “get-the-look” video tutorials and YouTube has a bunch of different looks, too.

I hope this helps you. Smiley Happy

It sounds like you and I have similar skin tones, and eye color and hair color. I can't really pull off a black smokey eye, but I love a neutral brown palette. I don't typically line my upper lash line, but I do sometimes. Liquid liner is very harsh sometimes, so a kohl pencil works well. My smokey eye is Maybelline New York Stylish Smokes in Natural Smokes. It's a brown hued palette, and each shade of shadow is stamped with where it goes. I only use the lid and crease shades and apply them where they are supposed to go. I line my waterline with a black kohl pencil and wing it out at the outer crease and apply black mascara. It's a gorgeous look, and I wear it during the daytime. A swipe of liner on the top lid winged out can transform the look to a more evening-based appearance. I hope this helps(:

Hi,  so what you are saying is to not apply eyeliner on the top? And just apply the colours needed for the smokey look and then line the bottom of my eye?  What about mascara? Do you apply mascara?

You can most certainly apply eyeliner on your upper lid, it just creates a more dramatic effect. It sometimes takes away from the smokey eye itself, so if you're wearing it during the day I typically won't do it. And yes, just follow the instructions on the palette. There is lid, crease, brow, and outer corner. I don't use outer corner and brow because the brow shade is super light and I have dark skin, and the outer corner I never understood the point of. I do apply mascara, I love Bad Gal Lash by Benefit, but Great Lash by Maybelline is also really good if you're on a tight budget. Hope this helps!

Hi purplepanther!  So I tried your idea, not the part where you said apply the different colors on the crease, lid etc...But the part where you mentioned that you don't apply eyeliner on your top lid and just on the bottom.

So today what I did was, I did a purple smokey look.  I applied purple shadow on the top, and applied black liner on my waterline and beneath that just below my lower lashes took the same purple eyeshadow and applied that as well.  And then curled my lashes and applied mascara.  This worked out really well. 

But what I personally think is that, only certain colours for me turn out this way.  Like the purple eyeshadow turned out great!!! But the brown I used yesterday did not work at all.  I don't think brown suits on my brown skin. lol I know blue works...not sure what other colours would look good on me.  If you have any ideas...please let me know.

Awesome! Browns are good for a neutral look, but that's still obviously smokey. You have to go a few shades darker than your skin tone for it to show up, obviously. But anyway.

You said you tried purple, I'm no where near that brave! But I think a green palette would be pretty. Deep emeralds, not lime. If you look at Emily Blunt in The Devil Wears Prada, she did a green eye once and it was gorgeous. She's very pale and has auburn hair, but I bet the green would really stand out on you. Blue would also be pretty, I know you mentioned that...maybe a navy accented with aqua, the contrast accentuates them both. You could do the traditional black/grey, I always find that looks too dark along with my darker skin and hair and eye.

I'll be around if you need anything else, just drop me a message! Smiley Tongue

@purplepanther...

I actually did use a darker brown and it look horrible on me! lol...I looked extremely tired and my face just ended up looking really really dull!!!!

I haven't actually tried green...I might actually try that one day.  But the purple does look good...you should try it one day. See how it turns out and let me know if anything.

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors