Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Everything Eyes

Sephora Collection Portfolio

http://www.sephora.com/colorful-eyeshadow-portfolio-P377681?skuId=1596121

Is it just me, or is Sephora tripping?  $600 for 80 of their no name eyeshadows?  You can buy those Coastal Scents palettes for like $40.  I can't believe anyone would buy this.

Re: Sephora Collection Portfolio

It is not just you.  I would never pay $600 for a non-name brand palette.  I would expect that price tag to be attached to a prestige brand perhaps, but not Sephora.  I wonder at what point will it end up in the sale section or at the outlet-type stores, and what the price for it will be reduced to?  

That palette might have been nice as a high-level perk, or as a purchase-with-purchase (but certainly not at $600).  Just my opinion!  

Ha! And they raised the price by $100 dollars! Earlier this yr it was $499. Um...right sephora, keep on dreaming with that price tag. 

You can get the 68 piece UD Mother Lode for roughly the same price. If I were inclined to spend that much on eyeshadow, no way would it be Sephora brand.

I know. I saw that and thought - hmmm it'll probably be like 60 bucks or something and then I saw $600 and I was like DEAR LORD. If I'm not willing to buy the Mother Lode, there's NO way I would drop that on no-name eyeshadow.

Wow! The only time I'd pay that much would be for UD or MAC.

Then they have this one for 35$US... for 70 eye shadows.... hmmm I'm almost thinking the 600$ is priced wrong...

http://www.sephora.com/color-anthology-P382787?skuId=1549401&country_switch=us&lang=en

Funny you should mention that.  MAC eyeshadow pans go for what, $12 a pan?  For $600 you could buy 50 full-sized MAC eyeshadow pans and actually pick the colors you want. 

For the Color Anthology, the size of the individual eyeshadow is different (0.029 oz vs 0.07 oz). So amount of product in the the color anthology is like 29 shadows of a comparable size to the portfolio. But still, if the portfolio was priced like the anthology it would be $96.55. 

Maybe the formula is different? Or the Color Anthology is made in China? I have no idea why the priced it six times the amount they could have.

I'd just love to know if anyone did buy it.  How many of these units did they manage to sell?  I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the meeting where they decided $600 was the right price point for this!

I was thinking the exact same thing!  I would love to see how many people actually purchased this item.

That is insane.  No one would pay that!  I just clicked the link to see the reviews and there are only two.  One of the two is someone who played with it in the store!  The other reviewer doesn't sound like they purchased it either.  Another example of how Sephora allows anything to be considered a review. 

I have found Sephora brand eyeshadows are a complete miss most of the time.  I'm not a fan of the texture or the pigmentation. 

I thought the exact same thing when I saw it. 

So funny.

Makes the Tom Ford lipstick collection look like a steal. WTH? $600?

It could be price mistake...$59 maybe? In one if the reviews, it says good value?!?

ROTFL! good value?!

Someone mentioned earlier that they actually raised the price from $499!  I can't even begin to imagine what went through the minds of the people at Sephora who priced this item.  

I sometimes wonder if a lot of reviews like that are "plants".

Just read that haha! So I guess that is the correct price. Crazy!

Someone just slammed the MUFE aqua rouge and liner set and I thought the same thing!  "I was expecting longer wear time."  I don't know how you could say that with a straight face about the aqua rouges!  You put that stuff on your lips, and you could rub all day and that color is still staying put!

The problem with things being a "good value" is that it's subjective.  Something is really only a good value if you're going to get use out of it.  If you buy a pound of eye shadow for $100 it's still not a "good value" since you'll never actually use all that product. 

I think you need to remember that everyone doesn't have to have the same experience as you do with makeup & skincare products. 

Personally, I hated the Aqua Rouge because it flaked and wore off unevenly on me. It left clumpy marks on my water glass... It reminded me of the cheap drugstore stain-gloss duos. 

Well, it is 80 of the full sized Sephora Collection Colorful Eyeshadows, so the value of the shadows alone (not including the mirrored palette and keys) would be $1,040.00. So I guess if you look at it that way it could be seen as a "good value".

Still a crazy price tag for an in-house brand.

So a little mathing (excuse me if I am wrong here... also, I am Canadian but I did this based on the American price because I know most of you are American).

Colorful Eyeshadow Portfolio:
80 x 0.07oz = 5.6oz of shadow

$599 for 5.6oz = appx $107/oz

Color Anthology:

70 x 0.029oz = 2.03oz of shadow

$240 (given value) for 2.03oz of shadow = appx $118/oz 

$35 (price paid) for 2.03oz of shadow = appx $17/oz

SOOOOooooo at the "given value" price point, the ridiculously expensive is a better cost per ounce... but we can see that it is obviously not even comparable to the price paid per ounce of the Color Anthology.

But then there is this set with 72 eyeshadows (smaller in size), lipgloss, blush etc., and it is priced at USD $49.50.  I just don't get it...

http://www.sephora.com/makeup-academy-palette-P381158?icid2=carousel_HP_113013_DiscoverACyberWeekVal...

7 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos1
  • upload_743381166545943721.jpg