Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Everything Eyes

New to using eyeshadow

Hey everyone! 

I'm really interested in starting to use eyeshadows, but I see so many different products and palletes and I honestly don't know where to start. I have brown eyes, brown/red hair, and pale skin so I really don't know what would compliment things like my eye, hair, and skin color.

I also love wearing matte makeup, so does that mean I should also use matte eyeshadows?

Tags (3)

Re: New to using eyeshadow

You should get the naked pallete! It's really good for beginners and I use it all the time Smiley Happy

I'd've sure to get a primer to help keep the shadows on, like  a fav on here is the Urban Decay primer potion.  It helps brings out the pigmentation and keep shadows from disappearing.  Apparently we have oily eyelids, which was not something I knew prior to coming onto the BT space here.  I have the jacked palettes, I like shimmer, not a whole lot of matte involved in those.  I'd practice with a few and see if u like some shimmer or matte...but have fun!

When I was totally new to makeup, I spent way too much money on eyeshadow palettes with colors that I ended up barely ever using.  What is appealing to the eye in an artistic sense isn't necessarily what you want to put on your eyelids on a daily basis!  I wish I had been more patient and experimented more before buying really expensive stuff, to find out exactly which colors/finishes were most flattering on me.  Sephora has a nice inexpensive collection containing many shade ranges that would be fun to experiment with:

swfupload_4182644787251679590.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/smoky-eye-studio-2-P376772?skuId=1457795

That said, with brown eyes and brown/red hair, you might want to go for blue.  I have brown eyes and black hair and for some reason I just really dislike using eyeshadows in the brown/bronze range.  Too much brown!  

swfupload_4411231096455732015.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/love-me-eye-shadow-palette-P377426?skuId=1477785

drrragon, I have dark eyes, dark hair and light skin as well and cannot agree with you more about blue eyeshadow. It really makes my eyes pop & I seem to get more compliments compared to when I wear brown eyeshadow. SJarrar, have you experimented with blues at all?

@roxystar4 -- oh no!  i've been trying to resist that smashbox palette but after reading your comment I really want to buy it now! the blues look so pretty... LOL!

Smiley Happy sorry! It does look awesome though.

The blue/gray color in the Flashback duo  BeReady 2.0 from Bare Minerals really lights up and looks good. I have a few other blues (skylar from Zuzu Luxe and Steel Blue from Eco Glo) but they aren't quite the right color for me. They are a bit too light (more of a sky blue).  I have dark brown eyes though, it may work for someone with light brown/honey/hazel eyes??

This one? Smiley Happy s1363571-main-hero.jpg

oooh that is really pretty!

that is the blue that really makes my eyes stand out. With a decent primer it should last all day. I dont really use the darker one thou (just a little for crease).  SJarrar, can you go to  sephora and try it out?

I agree with drrragon. Youtube ROCKS for makeup tutorials. I found this girl Emily Noel and she is great about product reviews.

http://www.youtube.com/user/emilynoel83/videos

also, if your search on youtube "diamondsandheels14" I like her videos too (she has severe acne yet looks flawless!)

I went to Sephora just now, actually. But I didn't try on the blues. I tried on Smashbox's Photo Op Eye Shadow Trio I previously posted and I loved it. I forgot to try on the Bare Minerals eyeshadows, but I definetly think I'm gonna add Smashbox's eyeshadow trio to my makeup collection. 

And I'm so going to use Youtube!

I am so happy that you like the Smashbox photo Op trio!  Yeah, you tube is great for tutorials. 

Going to Sephora to try things out is a great plan.  Even better, go during the middle of the day (say 2pm) if you ever get the chance.  The stores are often quite quiet, and you'll find people around to help you.  Just tell them that you don't know where to start and see if they have time not only to suggest colors to but show you best how to use them. They might surprise you with things you didn't even think to try.

I haven't at all. Sephora actually recommended Smashbox's Photo Op Eye Shadow Trio in these colors.

s1349794-main-hero.jpg 
But I have no idea how to actually use them. I'd love to experiement but I feel like I'd do it wrong and end up looking like a clown. 

go to youtube and search for makeup tutorials!  there are so many beauty gurus on youtube, you're bound to find a few that you love.

I second drrragon, a large palette is the best way to go. Not only will it be cheaper, but you have a very large selection of colors to play around with. The Sephora Collection shadows are pretty decent qualtiy-wise so they will be easy to work with (for the most part). Then you don't end up spending $20 on a teal eye shadow you almost never wear Smiley Happy 

You also can't go wrong with the Naked palettes, they are good to have in your arsenal for neutral looks, although it doesn't have colorful shadows to play with.

The suggestions you've gotten so far have been stellar!

The use of an eye shadow primer will be key no matter what type or brand of shadow you choose to prolong the wear, help colors come out more true to shade, and prevent fading/creasing.

Try looking into the eye palettes from Too Faced, they have a range of matte to satin to shimmer finishes in their shadows and come with tutorial cards for three eye looks. You can use them as guides to play with different shades and each kit comes with 9 shades, broken in 3 categories so it makes pairing colors a breeze. Once you get more used to technique you can swap colors around and venture to other brands as well.

They do have a matte palette, but you might look into their Naked Eye and Romantic Eye, both which suit fair skin very well and give a clean, enhanced look to eyes. The Romantic Eye kit also has some soft purples and olives if you want to add a pop of color without being too dramatic or bold.

Urban Decay's Naked Basics palette is also an option if you want to stick with neutrals and all matte shades!

swfupload_1564105161070140070.jpgI didnt truly start liking shadow until I tried urban decay, so I recommend getting one of their palettes, especially one with lots of different colors in it (think book of shadows or something like it). I really love the soft formula and pigmentation. I tried it 6-7 years ago, and to this day (and after trying many other shadows) its still my number 1 shadow from Sephora.

Everyone is suggesting I get a larger pallete, so I save money but the thing is, I'm not actually sure I'd use a lot of the colors if I did. :/ 

Giant color palettes are a good investment, but if you're a bit intimidated or unsure of actual use, stick with what you're comfortable with.

You can always get a great, basics palette and pick up drug store palettes for a pop of color and to incorporate into different looks while you learn and master technique, then once you're more seasoned you can upgrade to higher quality color palettes! Smiley Very Happy

this one looks great too. Less $$ too

s1482462-main-hero.jpg

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos10
  • swfupload_4182644787251679590.jpg
  • swfupload_4411231096455732015.jpg
  • s1349794-main-hero.jpg
  • s1363571-main-hero.jpg
  • swfupload_1564105161070140070.jpg
  • s1482462-main-hero.jpg