Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Everything Eyes
|

New to eye makeup (man) - need help!

Hey y’all! I’m pretty new to wearing eyeshadow (I’ve only done it 3 times) but I find it super fun 😊

I use the Morphe Eyelid Primer, Anastasia Beverly Hills Mini Water-Resistant Eye Primer 0.24 fl oz/ 7 mL (white base), Colourpop Fade into Hue palette with the Morphe Eye Got This brush set. I have an eyeliner but I’m so scared to use it and mess up

I would love some tips or recommendations for other palettes, tools and some criticism! I posted some photos of my looks so feel free to take a look!

5F0F8474-5ED2-4824-B4F1-9D2C51CDACDA.jpeg

EC8CDA86-3C7A-4510-BE0A-0CEC837A4E82.jpeg

B35BD84C-E509-4C80-B1EC-BE12705CEADB.jpeg

Re: New to eye makeup (man) - need help!

Hi @ZachariasO 

First of all!!! Let me just celebrate you being your authentic self!! I love that you enjoy working with color and admire that you want constructive feedback. 

For primer- I really enjoy the MAKEUP BY MARIO Master Eye Prep & Set™  in "medium"- This is a customizable eye primer that comes with a setting powder. You can use this before all of your eye makeup looks from natural to bold. 

For liner I really enjoy HAUS LABS BY LADY GAGA Optic Intensity Eco Gel Eyeliner Pencil Black Onyx  This is the perfect liner because it comes with a brush on the other side that is perfect for stretching and elongating the liner look. Don't even be afraid to try liner:)

The best step you can take when designing an eye makeup look is to really analyze your eye before you start playing with shadow and liner. Remeber that lighter shades will always push out, medium shades will provide structure and the darkest shades will always define. This includes liner- Its best to get the most pigmented formulas for easy quick saturation. (the link below has so many fun shades!)

Check out these SEPHORA COLLECTION Ultimate Gel Waterproof Eyeliner Pencil 

For liner application start on the outer corner of the eye and use quick sketching motions between the lashes. You can even start the application on the upper inner water liner and rock the pencil to increase definition across the lashes. Then sketch product on the upper lash line, really close to the root of the lashes. Make sure to stop in between and check to see the shape you are creating. It's best to work in small sections before trying to get the liner on in one stroke.

I also noticed you don't have mascara on in any of your photos. YOu will really enjoy the way mascara adds to the look, even if you wear glasses. Using a lash curler will really add to the effect of your mascara and lift the lashes. All you need to do is gently put the lash curler to the eye and clamp the curler at the root of the lash. Make sure squeeze the curler at the root a few times on each eye for the biggest lash lift!

Check out Too Faced Better Than Sex Volumizing & Lengthening Mascara 

Shiseido Eyelash Curler & Mini Full Lash Serum 

For shadow palette recomendations I think you would really love this one from Anastasia Beverly Hills NORVINA® Pro Pigment Palette Vol. 6 for Face & Body 

and for  something more subtle check out

PAT McGRATH LABS Mothership V Eyeshadow Palette - Bronze Seduction 

This Pat Mcgrath Palette has some amazing neutrals and sparking shades that are sure to impress. 

APPLICATION- For shadow application I like to recommend using small flat  brushes to place shadow on lids and lash lines. Then fluffy tools to blend shadow into the crease. I'm not familiar with the brush set you have but check out SEPHORA COLLECTION PRO Shadow Brush #14  SEPHORA COLLECTION PRO Shadow Brush #15  SEPHORA COLLECTION PRO Crease Brush #27  SEPHORA COLLECTION PRO Crease Brush #26  SEPHORA COLLECTION PRO Crease Brush #24  SEPHORA COLLECTION PRO Shadow Brush #18 

Shadow placement is really key when working. As you apply check for balance and symmetry by stepping back in the mirror. This will allow you to step back and assess as well as correct as you work.

These are my go to tools for eyes!! 

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
Photos3
  • 5F0F8474-5ED2-4824-B4F1-9D2C51CDACDA.jpeg
  • EC8CDA86-3C7A-4510-BE0A-0CEC837A4E82.jpeg
  • B35BD84C-E509-4C80-B1EC-BE12705CEADB.jpeg
testing