Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Everything Eyes
|

I hate mascara! I can’t find any that I like. Help!

For the past two years I haven’t bought mascara. I did MLM and had lots of brand new left overs. Recently I went to my local Sephora to look for a new replacement. I hate all Of them. I tried 7 different ones and none are great. A few are just ok. Here’s a list of what I have tried: IT cosmetics superhero, Marc Jacobs velvet noir major volume, milk makeup kush mascara, tarte big ego, too faced cosmetics damn girl, thrive causematics liquid lash extensions and smash box super fan. I received 1 full size and 4 samples in the Sephora favorites lash stash. The rest came from Sephora play. I’m really not impressed with any of them. Maybe a lash primer would help? And suggestion are welcomed! Thanks.
Anonymous Insider

For length, I love Benefit Cosmetics BADgal BANG Mascara For volume, I use Yves Saint Laurent Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils

RE: I hate mascara! I can’t find any that I like. Help!

Benefit roller lash or any benefit mascara. They have a really fine and straight wand which I find that is the best thing ever.y lashes are straight and pointing downwards so I first curl them and later on I use the benefit roller lash, it is amazing. Better than sex is also a good mascara but I would recommend the waterproof version if you’re afraid of it smudging.

Re: I hate mascara! I can’t find any that I like. Help!

Pat McGrath mascara is the only mascara I've found that I'm happy with. It doesn't flake and end up under my eyes. It builds volume, adds length, and I always have people ask me if I have on fake lashes, which I don't. It's pricey but to me it's worth it. There are several others out there but they've never measured up to hers!

@ktmarie123 wrote:
For the past two years I haven’t bought mascara. I did MLM and had lots of brand new left overs. Recently I went to my local Sephora to look for a new replacement. I hate all Of them. I tried 7 different ones and none are great. A few are just ok. Here’s a list of what I have tried: IT cosmetics superhero, Marc Jacobs velvet noir major volume, milk makeup kush mascara, tarte big ego, too faced cosmetics damn girl, thrive causematics liquid lash extensions and smash box super fan. I received 1 full size and 4 samples in the Sephora favorites lash stash. The rest came from Sephora play. I’m really not impressed with any of them. Maybe a lash primer would help? And suggestion are welcomed! Thanks.

Have you tried "Better Than Sex" mascara?

I feel it would be more helpful to know what you hated about them and what you desire from a mascara. Have you tried tubing mascara? It is removed with warm water and a rag, it creates little tubes around each lash. This means no running, smearing, streaking, or flaking. As for a regular style mascara I really like the Pat McGrath which I also hate. Rather i wanted to hate because of the price but I love it. It gives me length, volume, and separates all my lashes so each one can do the most for me. I am curious to try a regular mascara ie PML and cap it with a Tubing mascara like BLINC Mascara Amplified and see how they play together. 

Even though they’re not sold on this website, I’ve had a ton of luck with Eyeko’s mascaras. They’re really long lasting for me and keep curl.

@ktmarie123 wrote:

In response to this, if you are in need of volumizing support, I would suggest the Too Faced Better Than Sex Volumizing & Lengthening Mascara Black or the TARTE - Lights, Camera, Lashes™ 4-in-1 Mascara - Black Minimascaras they have worked really well for me and helped my lashes appear! I hope this message helps you too!

I really enjoy milk mascara (:

@ktmarie123 honestly, try Too Faced Better than Sex mascara. It’s amazing, I highly recommend. They have a travel size too to try it out!

@ktmarie123  Have you found a mascara that works for you yet? Did a lash primer help? 

My favorite mascara is still Charlotte Tilbury Legendary Lashes Volume 2 Mascara Black Vinyl Vol 2. I don’t have naturally curly, long, or voluminous lashes. I hate lash curlers and have given up on them. This mascara curls my lashes, lengthens them, and gives them a volume boost, without irritating my eyes. (That’s my biggest problem with at least 95% of mascaras on the market: they all make my eyes sting and/or burn.) It doesn’t flake all over my face or smudge on my hooded eyes. I use this only on my top lashes. I like the look of a single coat because I’m not usually after a fake lash look, but sometimes I do two coats for much more oomph. 

I rarely do my bottom lashes, but my favorite mascara for them is WANDER BEAUTY - Mile High Club Mascara. It’s a very wet formula that doesn’t curl my top lashes much at all. But it’s fantastic at lengthening and volumizing my bottom lashes, and the brush is almost the perfect shape and size for that task. 

My personal favourite is the one from Sally Hansen's. The brand is col-lab beauty and it is The Works mascara (pink tube). My lashes always look amazing when using it.

Do you feel you need to use mascara? I ask this because I hate it too, moreso because I think I look ridiculous in mascara rather than the products are a bit of a letdown.However there are times that I do include mascara. If Im doing a 'smokey eye' then mascara pulls it all together, but here I only do my top lashes. So Id say try mascara on the top lashes only and see how that goes, and also dont feel you need to use a product just because it is generally seen as a staple.

I feel you @ktmarie123 up until last summer i'd always been rather disappointed with mascaras....that is, until I found ILIA - Limitless Lash Mascara - this mascara is definitely a game changer for me! I have been using it practically everyday since finding it, and I swear that not only does it apply easily, last all day, does not transfer or irritate the eyes, but it has also been restoring the health of my lashes. Two honorable mentions: Benefit Cosmetics They're Real! Lengthening Mascara Black and DIOR - Diorshow Mascara - but these must be used with a primer, i'd recommend DIOR - Diorshow Maximizer 3D Triple volume plumping lash primer or Lancôme Cils Booster XL Super-Enhancing Mascara Primer .18 oz / 5.5 ml I hope you find something you end up liking!

RE: Re: I hate mascara! I can’t find any that I like. Help!

Good to know! Didn’t know they made a mascara. I haven’t found any brand better for me than my Tarte for my thin wispy lashes but I’ll have tobuy the ILIA mascara at the next sale and give it a go. I love ILIA too!I have their liquid eyeliner which is amazingly good! It’s the best that I could find so far after trying so many (too many) high end and some drugstore brands over the years. BTW that Lancôme cils booster is also my fave! ❤️

Hi @yuline awesome! Yes, their mascara is to die for! The applicator works so well and I love how it pulls your lashes up and apart! If you look in my gallery, I'm wearing it in a number of my looks I believe and you'll see exactly what I mean! I recently purchased ILIA Multi-Stick Cream Blush + Highlighter + Lip Tint Tenderly and ILIA Tinted Lip Conditioner Pink Moon and i've also been loving them! Can't wait for them to come out with some more products! So glad to hear you love the Lancome Cils - it's so good!!!

I have always had good luck with Tarte Mascaras. Lights, Camera Action and Big Ego are the 2 I use. I actually use both at the same time. Too Faced Better Than Sex was my ride or die for years until L’Oréal Lash Paradise came out and it’s a way better bang for your buck and same delivery. I then switched to Tarte mascaras and never went back. People always comment on how long my lashes are and it’s all because of Tarte

Re: RE: I hate mascara! I can’t find any that I like. Help!

Ditto for me! I love Tarte Lights Camera Action mascara too! 😘 I always have my stash. It’s the only one that I use for my thin wispy lashes.  I’ve never tried the waterproof version since the regular version has the best reviews. I especially love how it feels on my lashes (not crunchy and dry) and gives it a more natural silky lengthening look with volume too.  I have oily eyelids and it doesn’t smudge for quite a while.  I noticed my lashes grow more when I use it consistently every time. Tarte puts extra nutrients in it.

I have used Maybelline Full & Soft Waterproof for at least 10 years. Every time I get a sample of some expensive mascara I think maybe it will be the one that sways me from my drugstore fav but nope. I love the big fat bristly brush.

@ktmarie123 Like @AshGarcia , I used Maybelline Full N Soft for years.  It was my go-to for quite a long time.  It is worth looking into.  I now use Essence Lash Princess in False Lash Effect.  It has a cult following, and sells for only $4.99 at Ulta - and is often buy one, get one half off.  I also like to use Lancôme Cils Booster XL Super-Enhancing Mascara Primer .18 oz / 5.5 ml underneath.

It looks like you've tried a lot of mascara samples.  IDK why, but I've never had good luck with mascara samples - the full size always work better for me.  Wonder if anyone else has had the same experience.

27 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos1
testing