cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Everything Eyes
|
Anonymous Insider

Hooded Eyes

I have hooded eyes and it has been a Nightmare!! I literally have no idea how to work with them. Lining and applying eyeshadow is the hardest part!!! I wish I could do the whole cat eye look. I am desperately looking for products, techniques, tips, tricks etc. that might help me win the battle against my hooded eyes. Please help me.

RE: Hooded Eyes

A cut crease is a hooded eye’s best friend! You can cut it a bit above the natural crease and fake more lid space. Also, your actual crease is right below the orbital bone, not necessarily where your eyelids fold, so that is the area that should be filled in with transition/crease colors

Re: Hooded Eyes

Hi, my eyes are semi-hooded so I've been looking for ideas too.

The most helpful thing I've found is this visualization I discovered on reddit of all places.

https://imgur.com/a/rqbaM

Just so handy to see exactly what she means. The eyeliner tips especially were great.
Hope this helps!

@Anonymous I understand where you are coming from as I also felt that way when I first started doing eyeshadow on my hooded eyes. Here are a few tips I have for you:

--Find an eye primer you like so that your eyeshadow/liner etc. doesn't transfer. UD, Nars, and other brands all make good ones.

--In terms of liner, I'd recommend the Marc Jacobs skinny gel highliners for a day to day look because a) they're skinny so they don't destroy my entire eyelid space in one go and b) they're unusually transfer resistant. If a cat eye is what you want, I'd recommend Lisa Eldridge's quick celebrity kitten flick video. I practiced this a bunch and I can almost kind of do winged liner now-- still not my best look but passable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFTtbgNdEoI

--The brushes you use really matter. Every beauty guru and their mother uses the MAC 217 brush but I really struggled with that brush when I started out with eyeshadow because it didn't feel like the right size for my eye. I can use it now but I'd recommend getting some smaller brushes if you can. Wayne Goss makes some great small crease brushes but you can also find small eye brushes from Elf.

--Many people will say "hooded eyes can't wear shimmer"-- I don't think this is true. I would say it just depends on where you place shimmer. That said, you might have an easier time starting out using mattes and working in shimmers gradually. This visual guide really helped me: https://imgur.com/a/rqbaM

-- Try to find tutorials on people with hooded eyes if you can. I know Wayne Goss does some. Alissa Ashley has hooded eyes. I think Stephanie Nicole does too. Techniques from Korean artists like Pony really helped me. Keep in mind when you're watching people without hooded eyes that you may need to adjust the look for yourself.

--If you can, go in store and have a mini makeover on your eyes. It helped me a lot to have someone explain to me how the technique worked step by step. Then I went home and got to practice it. 

Hope that helps and good luck!!

I think how and where you place your shadow is super important with hooded eyes to get the look your going for.  Watching the how to videos is so helpful.  I like this Sephora Pro:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL1FQAwOKakIXyDKkCxCRtf_Nf1WOWCu4-&v=sNrOQQ11tY8

I'm a fellow hooded eye gal and there are TONS of YouTube...

I'm a fellow hooded eye gal and there are TONS of YouTube videos with make-up tutorials for gals like us. When I first started really getting into doing my eye make-up that's where I turned to. There's even cat eye liner tutorials. One of my favorites to follow is ChristinaMUA.
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing