Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Everything Eyes
|

High End Mascara VS. 'Drugstore Mascara' Is it worth it?

So I recently got into high end mascaras. I've tried everyting from:

• Too Faced - Better Than Sex
  • Benefit - BADgal Lash
  • UD - Perversion
  • Benefit - They're real Mascara

The only one that I loved was the better than sex. It gave me incredible volume and length.

Drugstore Mascara

• CoverGirl - Lash Blast (Orange tube)
  • NYC - Big Bold Volume (I had to use this today, I didn't sleep home last night - NO MAKEUP BAG 😞  so I used this and it really wasn't bad $4.99
  • Loreal - Butterfly Effect

So my question is, is it worth it to buy high end? I want to purchase the full size Too Faced - Better than sex or DIORshow. Please help me make the decision!!

Thank you!

Re: High End Mascara VS. 'Drugstore Mascara' Is it worth it?

I go for length/volume and if it will smudge or not.  For whatever reason, drugstore mascaras make my eyes itch and water like you would NOT believe.  So my tried and trues:

Buxom Amplified Lash

Buxom Lash

YSL Babydoll

TF Better Than Sex

Diorshow did nothing for my lashes. 

here are my favs:

#1. Armani Eyes to kill

#2. Toofaced BTS

#3. Guerlain Maxilash 

Aww that's disappointing to hear about the Diorshow..... I will try to Guelain Maxilash and the Armani Eyes to kill. I already tried and LOVE BTS!

I've tried 80% of the major brands drugstore mascaras and personally nothing comes close to Armani Eyes to Kill for me. I love it. I use it in conjunction with Benefit's They're Real. I feel like it all comes down to personal preference and perception. 

Thanks! This is the second rave about Armani Eyes to Kill. I really need to try it now!

Honestly, I don't think I could do without my Better Than Sex. Other high-end mascaras and drugstore brands just don't cut it. I'll pick one up to try out if it's on sale or clearance, or if I can get a sample of it. But nothing has blown me away like Better Than Sex has. Plus the bottle has lasted me ages (bought it in July, I'm still using it with good results. Probably going to need another tube soon, though). So I think the price tag is well worth it.

I agree, I absolutely LOVE BTS. My mini tube is pretty much done, so that's why I need to decide on which mascara to get. I do believe BTW is what I'll be buying again! I do want to try the Armani Eyes to kill as well, sounds really great!

I haven't seen a high-end mascara that would give me dramatically better results compared to L'Oreal, CoverGirl, and Revlon. I've used Armani's Eyes To Kill, Tarte Lights Camera Lashes, Too Faced Better Than Sex, Benefit They're Real, Givenchy Phenomen'Eyes and Noir Couture, Dior DiorShow and Black Out, MUFE Smoky Lash and Buxom Mascara, and none of them were exceptional enough to justify $20-30 price tag. (The one by Buxom was a stand-out though, because even if it's more expensive than drugstore brands, I would use it for up to 8 months without it drying out). What I do now is buy the ones I know I like at the drugstore (L'Oreal Butterfly, the original CoverGirl in the orange tube, Revlon PhotoReady), and then just get high-end samples with my online orders.

The CoverGirl Orange tube mascara I can vouch for. It's absolutely amazing! I do agree with you about the price tag for high end vs. drug store and not seeing WOW effects, it can be frustrating. I actually tried the Loreal Butterfly effect and I was pretty surprised how much it lengthened my lashes.

I tried so many mascaras since time ago, firts buying the ones from drugstore,when you are young hihi. They work well, L'Oreal is anice brandfor it, Maybelline and Rimmel deppends a lot on the formula because can get dry so fast. then I bought my first Chanel Mascara, Uau!! I still keep the tube because is just beautiful and the brush makes them look so natural. But Lancome is now the one I use th most, purchased Givenchy 4in1 and hurted my lashes and ees, also got dry in a month. Having mascaras from drugstore is good, nice price, formulas and also if you are out of the one you like, drugstoree always helps 🙂 

Thanks so much!

To be honest, unless you have a specific need like extreme long-wear, curl holding, ingredient avoidance etc. I think the drugstore has some pretty strong offerings and there is truly no need to go high end for the average person. I feel like a lot of it has to do with application technique. 

I am someone who lives and dies for high end product but mascara is truly the only makeup product I can say I can achieve the same effect/look no matter the brand or price point. As long as it's a drier formula I can make it work gorgeously. I almost want to do a post to prove my point butttt grad school blegh.

HA HA Grad school! I'm starting in the Fall! Have a great semester!

Thanks for the reply, I don't have a need necessarily. I have naturally curled eyelashes and quite long, I just like the extra volume look. Covergirl lashblast works great and cost about 1/2 the price of high end Mascaras - $10

I have tried many, since I have naturally long, thick lashes and I love making them look like falsies! 🙂

Dior - Blackout is the BEST Dior mascara (for me).

I also like:

Lancome - Hypnose Drama

Benefit - They're Real (as a top coat on one of the others to give a very black & waterproof finish)

Hope this helps you out! 🙂

Personally don't like DiorShow. I find it flaky and easily smudges. Too Faced was much better!

Guerlain Maxi Lash, Blinc Amplified and YSL Faux Cils Babydoll are some of my favourites, but I don't have a HG mascara. 

Not fond of drugstore brands personally as they tend to not last as long or do what I want, but I'm sure there's a couple out there that are decent. 

Have to second YSL Babydoll. It is most definitely worth the money!

Thirded! Love YSL Babydoll. 

Other favorites are Dior IT Lash and Chanel Inimitable. Really the brush is what makes or breaks a lot of formulas for me. So I've learned to pay more attention to the applicator than anything else. 

I would recommend DIORshow. It gives really good volume. I think some high end mascaras are worth it. I also think Maybelline makes some good mascaras though.

I personally wouldn't buy a hind end mascara, but I have so many samples I don't think I need to for awhile 🙂 I did just try a sample of the Guerlain Maxi Lash - and love it! Before that I was using UD Perversion and like that one as well, but the Guerlain gives me a little bit more length. I am a big fan of Maybelline's the Falsies in waterproof (and it is still my waterproof HG) - although now I want to try this Butterfly Effect 😉

You may be able to find some of the lash primers in the point perks - I have seen them up there a couple of times.

If you win my competition, I will put one in the box for you.  I have to start writing down who wants what, so I make whoever wins a customized kit.  I do not really care to try it, but I have a hard time passing a nice box from Birchbox or Sephora favorites kit.  I buy way more than I need

54 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos1
  • Screen Shot 2015-01-20 at 5.23.09 PM.png
testing