cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Everything Eyes
|

Hakuhodo (the real deal)

Hello everyone,

I'd like to start off by explaining that I am NOT talking about the sephora/hakuhodo collab from a while ago, but the real, natural hair, handmade in Japan, Hakuhodo eyeshadow brushes. Does anyone own a few, and if so, are they absolutely worth it? Are they really that superior to, say, EcoTools or RT? The ones I am looking into are the popular J5523, as well as the J5529, J242, G5514, and the J142. Thanks for your insight xo 

Anonymous Insider

Re: Hakuhodo (the real deal)

Hi @ab221, I can understand the prices of the Hakuhodo brushes causing some heartburn - they're definitely pricey, but they are worth it.  I have some Real Technique brushes that I love and they are my go to's for specific purposes but in terms of overall quality, as between RT, EcoTools and Hakuhodo, the Hakuhodo brushes are superior.  The brushes from the J Series are very nice and I would echo @gracie2013's suggestion that you start off with a couple of Hakuhodo brushes (ones that you could see yourself using regularly) and see how you feel about them after giving them a try.

Oh, and if you have not done so already, do check out the link posted by @blackkitty2014; it's a great read.

RE: Hakuhodo (the real deal)

@ab221 They’re worth it. I own Hakuhodo and cherish them. But...Wayne Goss brushes are made by the same brush makers as Hakuhodo and I find myself reaching for them more. They’re ridiculously gorgeous and well made. I

I bought a set of hakuhodo brushes when I was in Japan. Basically what I heard and believe is that everything powder is applied better with natural haired brush and the liquid foundation is better applied with synthetic brush. Also natural haired brush shouldn't be washed often. I only have sephora brushes and those hakuhodo brushes, and the hakuhodo is definitely softer and lasted longer. I think hakuhodo is in quality way better with a higher price, so my suggestion is start with one or two brush from hakuhodo to try them yourself, then decide whether you need more. 

@ab221, check out this thread

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Insiders/Love-for-Brushes/m-p/2485005

Some of us here are fans of Japanese brushes: Hakuhodo, Koyudo, Chikuhodo, and Wayne Goss. I think I have most of the ones you mentioned (and some backups). I’d say they are totally worth the money. But be careful, once you’re going down that road it is easily got addicted and you’d want to invest more and more into natural hair brushes;) 

Anonymous Insider

Yes, @blackkitty2014!!  So addicting! 

I should have never clicked on this link 😭

Anonymous Insider

LOL @fieldsofclover.  That thread was one of the first threads I read on BIC - my list of brushes I want to try gets longer every time I go back to check what's new on the post.  Good thing I'm putting myself on a budget next year. 😉

7 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 27 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing