Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Everything Eyes

Eyeliner

I have pretty hooded eyelids so I feel like when I put eyeliner on my whole eye looks black any tips on how to do eyeliner?

RE: Eyeliner

Alyssa Ashley has a “wing liner for hooded eyes” tutorial on YouTube. It saved my life! Game changer

Re: Eyeliner

@Kennaadler I would echo all of the advice given so far! I will often tightline my upper eye rather than apply eyeliner to the lid, as it makes my lashes look fuller without compromising lid space. If I do apply eyeliner, similar to what @WinglessOne wrote, I don't take it all the way across my lash line.

The biggest thing that helped my eye makeup game in general is eyeshadow tape. It's magical! It gently holds that extra skin in place, which prevents the brush from skipping, and it creates the perfect guideline if you want to do a wing. e.l.f. makes pre-cut strips, and there's also SEPHORA COLLECTION - Line Up Makeup Tape. 

@Kennaadler  Fellow "hoodie" here.  I'm at the point where my eyeliner smudges at my bottom lashes before the day is over as a result of my hooded lids.

One trick that might also help is to extend the shadow you use on your lid up past your crease, extending your lid, in a way.  That can also give your eyes the appearance of being a little larger.

@Kennaadler I think you have some great recs here.  I occasionally get a hooded lid (TMI: time of the month mixed with Rx) and I find that using a light base shade of eyeshadow helps my eyes look more open.  If I'm really struggling, then I try to tightline as best as possible.  If you are having trouble tightlining, I rec Hourglass 1.5MM Mechanical Gel Eye Liner Obsidian.  Best of luck!  🙂

I also have hooded eyes. When I use a dark eyeliner on my eyelid (and don’t want my whole lid to look that color), I never take it all the way across my lid. I line only 1/2 to 2/3 of the top lid, starting from the outer corner. That way, most of my visible lid is unobscured by liner, and the hooded corner is dark—which is usually what I want anyway. 

If you want to wing your liner, you can still do that on your top lid. But I also recommend trying to wing from the bottom of your eye instead and leaving liner off your lid. It’s something to try, anyway, if you haven’t yet. It can give you an amazing cat eye, especially if you tip a lighter shade of eyeliner (or a light shimmery shadow) downward from the bottom inner corner of your eye. 

@Kennaadler Keep the liner as close to your lash line as possible and don’t wing it out too far. I have one hooded and one partially hooded so if I try to do much more with my liner it turns out uneven. I can thicken it slightly and gradually as I move out, but I need to keep it pretty thin otherwise. What I do is first I do the outer half just along the lashline the barely turn it out. I just follow the natural ridge. Then I move from out in to get the inner corner with an open eye. If I’m going to do a slight wing I build from the outer corner down to the lash line if that makes sense. Liquid eyeliner works best for me to keep it close to the lash line. My favorites are CLINIQUE - Pretty Easy Liquid Eyelining Penand CIATé LONDON - Fierce Flicks Precision Tip Liquid Liner.

Here is the eye look I did yesterday and you can see how one eye is more hooded than the other, but the liner doesn’t take over, and you can see the slight progression of the wing. This was with the Clinique. 

E8B41DFA-406A-422B-8EB2-1DED4563841E.jpeg

FD75AF21-613F-412E-83C0-36E52CC8B352.jpeg

@Kennaadler I have one hooded eye and the other a monolid and have the same issue as you.  I just accept the fact that my eyelids are the way they are.  I don't think there is much we can do about the eyeliner since we don't have a lot of lid space. 

Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 22 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
Photos2
  • E8B41DFA-406A-422B-8EB2-1DED4563841E.jpeg
  • FD75AF21-613F-412E-83C0-36E52CC8B352.jpeg
testing