Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Everything Eyes
|

Eye cream for women in their early 40s

Help! I’ve yet to find an eye cream that actually works. I’ve always had dark circle so I’m not expecting miracles. I’m more focused on the fine lines and would love something that plumps. Help, I’m close to getting under eye filler.

Eye cream for women in their early 40s

Hi! I turned 40 in March and have had dry under eyes for a while so I've been on the hunt for a good eye cream for a while. I know nothing topical will reduce dark circles so I decided to look for something that will provide long-term hydration and plump the thin skin to make fine lines look less noticeable. About 18 months ago, I received a sample of the Belif Moisturizing Eye Bomb and after 2 uses, bought the full size. It's very rich and a tiny bit goes a long way so even though it's pricey, it takes me about 10 months to finish one jar. It truly plumps the skin and my concealer has never looked better! I have recommended it to countless people and they all love it. Good luck!!

RE: Eye cream for women in their early 40s

Thank you so much!!

Re: Eye cream for women in their early 40s

@Daniellabella23 I'm in my late 40s. I'm not super concerned about my undereye lines (psh, I've earned those lines via decades of facial expressions), but my tear troughs have been noticeably sinking since my early 40s. I'm not ready to go the injectables route either but, I have to say, fillers are your best bet for immediate results. 

Do you currently use any hydrating skincare products on your face—and if so, do you also use them under your eyes? 

Spoiler
My skin is mostly-dry combo and my undereyes are my face's driest skin. I use a very hydrating toner, a serum that contains a lot of hyaluronic acid, a serum formulated for use around the eyes, and a moisturizing cream that also contains HA. I don't use products specifically marketed as "eye creams" anymore because my full face moisturizer works fine. Whenever I need more moisturization, I add a layer of facial oil. 

Here's what I use on my undereyes each morning, after washing my face: 

Spoiler
  1. e.l.f. Hydrating Water Essence - I use this as a hydrating toner. It contains glycerin, trehalose, carrageenan, sodium hyaluronate (the salt form of hyaluronic acid), sodium PCA, urea, and coconut water—all great ingredients that attract moisture to skin. It also contains a big dose of niacinamide, an ingredient that can brighten skin tone, soften fine lines, and help moisturizers work better. I use this e.l.f. essence/toner on my entire face, including my undereyes. 
  2. Farmacy Very Cherry Bright 15% Clean Vitamin C Serum with Acerola Cherry 1.0 oz/ 30 mL - a multitasker product that gives me big doses of vitamin C and hyaluronic acid. This goes everywhere on my face except my eyelids and brow bones. (I can't use any vitamin C serum there without experiencing eye pain and/or headaches.) 
  3. NIOD Fractionated Eye Contour Concentrate - a serum that contains a kabillion peptides, among other ingredients. It claims to firm crepey skin, reduce the look of fine lines, and even out skin texture. I've used it daily for a few months all around my orbital bone (eh, far less often on my lids and brow bones) and it's definitely softened my fine lines and bumpy texture. It hasn't erased them and I didn't expect it to. I mean, this isn't a dermal filler or a retinoid product. I wasn't thrilled about the price until I realized how tiny an amount I need to use each day.

Before I started the NIOD serum, I used Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Ferulic + Retinol Triple Correction Eye Serum daily (and nightly). I still occasionally use it on nights I don't also use my full face retinol serum, and sometimes I apply it to my whole face because it's full of good stuff—lots of antioxidants and what I assume is a very low % of retinol. (DDG won't disclose the retinol strength.) 
  4. Tap a little water under my eyes - not enough to get that skin soaking wet, just enough to dampen it. I like to add a little hydration for my moisturizer to seal in. After this step, I immediately apply moisturizer: 
  5. Youth To The People Superfood Air-Whip Lightweight Face Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid 2 oz / 59 mL - my usual AM and PM full face moisturizer. This also goes under my eyes. (In the current hot weather, I sometimes sub it with Paula's Choice Clear Oil-Free Moisturizer during the day.) If my undereyes still seem dry, I apply a second layer of cream moisturizer or apply a facial oil like e.l.f. Nourishing Facial Oil or Herbivore Emerald CBD + Adaptogens Deep Moisture Glow Oil 1 oz/ 30 mL . I apply as many layers as needed. In the deep freeze of winter, I sometimes use 4-5 layers. 

If you really think you need a separate "eye cream" because your full face moisturizer's not cutting it (even after applying it in layers under your eyes): I used to use Biossance Squalane + Peptide Brightening & De-Puffing Eye Gel 0.5 oz / 15 mL which was good at firming my skin a bit and plumping. I stopped using it mostly because the DDG Ferulic + Retinol serum I mentioned was also firming and softened some lines, making this eye cream redundant. 

Hi @Daniellabella23!

I love Shiseido Benefiance Wrinkle Smoothing Eye Cream 0.51 oz/ 15 mL.  My mom uses it too.

Seconded!

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing