Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Substitute for Boyfriend?

So before it got discontinued (RIP), I used to wear Boyfriend by Kate Walsh obsessively. And when it went on sale - years ago - at Sephora I stocked up on it knowing I would probably never get it again. Im now down to my last roller ball. 

If anyone is familiar with this perfume and knows of something similar I would love to hear what they are! I haven't been able to find something I loved even half as much as I loved Kate Walsh's perfume. 

It's been described as follows: "...vanilla, jasmine blossoms, and an accord of amber ...  including a light musk and a shimmer of fresh woods"

RE: Substitute for Boyfriend?

I just got a sample of the new Nest Cocoa Woods from the 100pt perks - I don’t know how similar it will be but I love it. It’s woodsy and musky and a tiny bit sweet. If you can still get your hands on the point perk maybe it can’t hurt to give it a shot!

Substitute for Boyfriend?

Paco Rabanne 1 Million or Commodity Gold

RE: Substitute for Boyfriend?

Yikes! That's a tough one. Elizabeth & James Nirvana Black reminds me of Boyfriend, but is much spicier. Clean Reserve Amber Saffron is not as deep. Tokyo Milk Tainted Love might be too sweet. Hermes Ambre des Merveilles might be too dry, but has a similar feel. That's all that's coming off the top of my head. I would sniff around at those for a start, at least, and see if any come close.

Re: Substitute for Boyfriend?

The notes seem to be quite different, but reading reviews for SJP Stash brings up several mentions of Boyfriend and a similarity/reminiscence of the scent. Might be a good place to start!

• Top - Grapefruit zest, black pepper, sage
  • Heart - Cedarwood atlas, patchouli, ginger lily, pistachio
  • Base - Olibanum, massoia wood, vetiver, musk

I've never smelled Boyfriend, so I don't have a true idea of how accurate the comparison is... but after reading those reviews that mentioned it, I wish I had! Stash is at the top of my fragrance list right now ☺️

@patriciashleigh

Boyfriend seemed to fly under the radar somehow. I've tried going into other perfume shops, asking for a dupe of sorts, hardly anyone knew what I was talking about. The best option I found was going into this Perfumerie shop here in my city and having a custom one blended. Still wasn't quite right. 

However, Stash sounds amazing and I'm going to be sure to hunt down a bottle this week and give it a sniff! Thanks so much for doing some research just to find me a suggestion @RGbrown ! I'll let you know how similar they are afterward. 

@patriciashleigh If you’re willing to shell out more than a few dollars you can find the OG Boyfriend at eBay. I have a very, very tiny bottle of Boyfriend that I only break out once or twice in the winter time since it’s so cozy and warm. I wish I had bought the bigger bottle before it was discontinued. 

You can still buy Billionaire Boyfriend from CZND and Your Boyfriend dot com. Though, you can find Billionaire Boyfriend at other places for less than buying new from either of these sites.

I haven't really found a very similar substitute, but Giorgio Armani Si Intense is kind of close.

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing