Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Dry Skin

oil free face cream

Hello!

I have really dry, sensitive skin that is a bit acne prone. My dermatologist recommended that I start using an oil free moisturizer. I was using Cetaphil, which moisturized fine, but unfortunately it was clogging my pores. I also live in an area with really harsh winters. Any recommendations? Thanks! Smiley Happy

Just adding a bit more info to answer some questions - I mainly have acne on my forehead, in between the eyebrows, and chin area. My forehead doesn't get severe acne, but more like tiny flesh-colored bumps. The dermatologist said that means I have clooged pores. Otherwise I'm really (really) dry. My cheeks get irritated and red easily and my forehead and chin can get pretty dry, too. It looks like I'm starting to get wrinkles on my forehead.Smiley Sad

The following is my current regimin:

morning - wash face, apply Clinique eye cream, Clinique superdefense moisturizer (for dry/combo skin), bb cream and powder

evening - wash face with Cetaphil, Clinique eye cream, and apply Celaphil moisturizing cream

I use the Clarisonic Mia about 2-3 times a week at night and every other night I apply differen gel to my t-zone area. I also use the Boscia hydration mask once a week.

I wanted to change up my night routine and wean myself off of Cetaphil. It doesn't seem to be moisturizing enough and seems to be clogging my forehead a bit, but now I'm thinking of changing my day routine, too. The weather is getting colder and my skin is starting to get uncomfortably dry. I do use Clinique's Moisture Surge on the really dry days and that seems to be helping a bit.

Thanks!Smiley Happy

Hello! :) Your dermatologist is completely wrong! If you...

Hello! Smiley Happy

Your dermatologist is completely wrong! If you have dry skin you should be using a moisturiser with oils (dry skin moisturiser) and a oil free face wash/skin care rountine e.g. Neutrogena Oil - Free Acne Wash.

I hope I helped Smiley Happy

Clinique dramatically different moisturizing gel! I have...

Clinique dramatically different moisturizing gel! I have the same skin as you and I've been using this for years. It's light but gives the right amount of moisture.

Are you experiencing acne all over the face or in small a...

Are you experiencing acne all over the face or in small areas?  Do you experience dry patches of skin in those areas as well?  How often do you exfoliate? 

What current face wash do you use?  Do you use any tools when washing or drying off your face (wash cloth, brush, etc)? 

If I had answers to the above questions, the solution might be simpler as in changing a behavior in your current routine. 

Read the ingredient list carefully for any products you are wanting to sample.  Ask a cast member at a Sephora or a dept. store clerk for a sample you can take home and try for a few days.  By sampling, it will not break the bank and help you determine which products work best for your skin.

A good handful of creams are going to have some type of oil in them (either synthetic or natural).  Gels are more often oil free but may not provide suitable moisture coverage if your skin is really dry.  You may also benefit looking into a thinner consistency moisturizer (sometimes called an Emulsion).  These might be easier to find an oil free version yet provide adequate moisture even in drier winters. 

I would recommend seeing the dermatologist again (and not a Physician's Assistant) and see if you can get any type of spot treatment if the acne only seems to appear in certain areas (such as hormonal acne around the cheeks or chin).  I would also ask about the Clarisonic in your case if the pore clogging is all over.  They might have a deal at the office.  Sephora also has a very good return policy as well. 

In the meantime, change bed linens (pillowcases) once a week and clean areas that your face touches regularly (phones).  It might help a little if these are not common practice. 

Hope that helps. 

My skin is exactly like yours, and I received the same (o...

My skin is exactly like yours, and I received the same (outdated) advice from my dermatologist. Oils aren't the enemy, and if you have very dry skin, oil-free moisturizers probably aren't going to do you any good (they didn't for me). The following helped me clear up my skin and reduce the redness/dryness:

1) No more foaming cleansers. Only use cleansing oils or milky cleansers. They remove makeup more thoroughly and help to decrease irritation.

2) If you use toner, make sure it's alcohol-free. Otherwise, it will just dry out your skin more.

3) Light exfoliation is key. I found that my skin got worse the less I exfoliated, because the dry skin clogged my pores and caused breakouts. Start slowly, 1-2 times a week, and only use 1 type of exfoliation (manual, like the Clarisonic, or chemical like AHAs). Increase slowly if you're not seeing the results you want.

4) Use a good moisturizer and apply to damp skin.

I really like the Korres Wild Rose line, although the moisturizer isn't quite enough for my very dry spots, but it's been the best so far for reducing redness and irritation. Hope this helps!

1 thing most people do not no is that if u have DRY SKIN...

1 thing most people do not no is that if u have DRY SKIN it does not mean that U need oil in your moisturizer

Dry skin can be skin that is lacking oil and needs oil.

But

Dry feeling skin at any age could mean  ITS FEELS DRY BECAUSE UR SKIN IS DEHYDRATED.

THERE IS a big difference btw dry skin and dehydrated skin.

You should continue to use an oil free product. FRESH AND PHILOSOPHY HAVE ALOT of great products that are for sensitive skin that are oil free.

after u cleanse and befor u moisturizer leave you skin air dry put on ur moisturizer with wet skin so the moisturizer will lock in the water and hydrate your skin.

carry around a toner in your purse.a toner with cucmber extract. NOT AN ASTRINGENT...astringent dries out your skin,toner hyrates and refreshes.DRink lots of water.

dry the bare ecentuals skin care liner they have great st...

dry the bare ecentuals skin care liner they have great stuff!

nanyoung,   You may want to try using Argan Oil as your n...

nanyoung,

You may want to try using Argan Oil as your night moisturizer- yes, it is an oil, but it is not an oil that harms your skin. You can try the small size for only $14 by Josie Maran.  It really is a miracle product and my skin has never been this hydrated.

This 100% Pure Argan Oil is a legendary oil that's rich in vitamin E and essential fatty acids, and grown organically in Morocco. With its multitasking benefits, Argan Oil can be used for many areas including hydrating and nourishing skin, as a daily moisturizer, skin treatment, treating spilt ends, and softening cuticles. It's gentle enough to use on all skin types and is believed to help with skin conditions including acne.Argan Oil easily absorbs into skin to give you a youthful, dewy glow, and has astonishing healing, conditioning, and antiaging properties to keep your skin and hair nourished and revitalized and to keep you looking beautiful from head to toe. 

Best,

Jill

7 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors