Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Dry Skin
|

dry

Hello, I am lully, Im 13 y/o and only just now a beginner makeup user. I struggle with my makeup due to the fact of not knowing much and lots of horrible patches and makeup separation, I have gross flakey dry skin and My products for makeup are NOT good for my face,   I followed a TikTok pages routine (bad idea) , Could anyone help me and give me a bit of a routine, I also dont have a skincare routine  which I should get one first, I never had dirty skin,  but now my skin gets irritated and I softly break out. Here are some images. 

Picsart_23-06-07_23-09-15-063.jpg

Re: dry

for makeup, a good concealer for dry skin would be the charlotte tilbury one!

hey love i have dehydrated skin i mean it flakes off if i don't use a moisturizer. i also have eczema and sensitive skin. 

i use: 

- la Roche posay dry skin face cleanser

- the ordinary hyaluronic acid serum

- cerave moisturizing lotion 

- first aid beauty ultra repair cream

- the ordinary moisturizer 

and at night a layer of aquaphor or vaseline.

hey babe!! i definitely recommend getting a skincare routine, i recommend brands like cerave, la-roche-posay, peach slices & good molecules! they are fairly inexpensive. now onto the makeup, i assume that the reason your makeup is separating is because your mixing water & silicone based products, for example the elf powergrip primer is water based, i i were to use that with a silicone based primer it would separate o just make sure your products are all either water, silicone or oil based!

good luck with your journey beautiful!!

yeah um thanks so much for that but I really actually tried to use la Roche posay s to say before and it does not work good for my skin at all it actually does nothing and I've noticed maybe I'm using it wrong or something but I actually got like three pimples because of it so but thank you so much for your advice and I'll definitely try the other things because it is not for me but thank you so much I'll try the others

Hi @woaahraya ! I can help you with the skincare side of things. 

If your skin is very flaky, you might wanna ask your parent/legal guardian to book you an appointment with a board certified dermatologist or primary care doctor to get your skin diagnosed. You could just have naturally dry/dehydrated skin. Or you might have a skin condition that needs a treatment plan. A doc can figure out the root cause of the issue so you don’t end up wasting time and money on products that won’t help your skin heal. 

Meanwhile, stick with a simple skincare routine for now: 
Spoiler
  1. Makeup remover (PM, if you wore makeup that day; can also help remove sunscreen) - can be a micellar water, cleansing oil, cleansing balm, or other type of makeup remover. I personally prefer cleansing balms for my reactive/inflammation-prone skin; my favorite is The INKEY List Oat Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm 5 oz/ 150 mL but I also love Paula's Choice Omega + Complex Cleansing Balm 3.5 oz/ 104 mL . I also still like Paula's Choice Gentle Touch Makeup Remover (the liquid version, not the wipes); I use that mostly to remove stubborn eye makeup. 

2. Gentle cleanser (PM, optional AM) - you want a cleanser that doesn’t leave your skin feeling stripped, tight, dry, or “squeaky clean.” I’ve been testing e.l.f. Pure Skin Face Cleanser for a week and it works very well. Other options: CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser (non-lathering cream cleanser), CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser Bar (a lathering soap-free bar), CeraVe Cream-to-Foam Cleanser, SEPHORA COLLECTION Clean Skin Gel Cleanser with Prebiotics 4.22 oz/ 125 mL , and plenty of others. 

Some folks don’t need to wash their face in the morning. I often just gently wipe my face with a wet plush microfiber cloth (like a Makeup Eraser), focusing just on the parts of my face that need it (usually around my eyes). If I do need a morning wash, I use a cleansing balm instead of my PM cleanser. But definitely wash your face each night to remove the day’s crud and cooties. 

3. Moisturizer (PM and AM) - apply it while your face is damp, but not soaking wet. This will help your moisturizer seal in hydration instead of dryness. A few good options for very dry skin: CeraVe Moisturizing Cream, Aveeno Eczema Therapy Daily Moisturizing Cream, Vanicream Daily Facial Moisturizer, Vanicream Moisturizing Cream, etc. 

For very dry flaky skin, I usually recommend using a petrolatum-based balm—Aquaphor Ointment, CeraVe Healing Ointment, Vaseline, etc.—as a moisturizer. Petrolatum’s the most occlusive (water loss preventing) skincare ingredient on the market, aside from hydrocolloid patches. Petrolatum creates a barrier to protect skin, seal in hydration, and promote healing. Contrary to popular belief, it doesn’t clog pores and it's not the same stuff that goes in gas tanks. Whether or not you should use it as a moisturizer kinda depends on what’s really happening with your skin. I know a thick balm can feel greasy and heavy on the face in warm weather, but sometimes it’s necessary to help skin heal. 

4. Broad spectrum sunscreen (AM) - minimum SPF 30, applied generously to all skin exposed to sunlight (eyelids, hairline, ears, behind ears, nape of neck if exposed, etc.) and reapplied every couple hours, all year long, regardless of weather or season. After applying, wait about 10 minutes for the sunscreen to set up its protective barrier before you apply anything else (primer, makeup, etc.).

Which sunscreen’s best for you depends a lot on personal preference. It can be mineral/physical (zinc oxide, titanium dioxide), chemical, or a hybrid sunscreen (both mineral & chemical): one type’s not generally safer or better than the others, and they all work largely the same way, despite what some people and skincare brands claim. Some sunscreens contain at least one good moisturizing ingredient (squalane, shea butter, argan oil, etc.) and can double as a moisturizer, so you might even be able to skip the moisturizer step above. That depends on how dry your skin is. 

Things you should avoid using on your face for now (if your doc says otherwise, then follow their advice): 

• Exfoliants - any AHA (alphahydroxy acid, such as glycolic, lactic, mandelic), PHA, fruit enzymes, or cleansing scrubs. The urge to exfoliate the flakes away can be strong, but it’ll just worsen your skin damage. Instead, focus on healing that damaged skin. 

• Strong active ingredients - such as retinol (or any vitamin A derivatives like retinaldehyde, adapalene, etc.), a high % vitamin C (ascorbic acid) product, benzoyl peroxide, etc. Again, if your doc says otherwise, listen to them. 

• Essential perfuming oils - includes bergamot oil, lavender oil, rosemary oil, eucalyptus oil, damask rose oil (not to be confused with rose hip oil which is actually good for dry skin), clove oil, mint oils, geraniol (geranium extract/oil), lemongrass oil, etc. Some people’s skin can tolerate these oils. But for other folks, like me, those oils irritate the heck outta skin, especially skin that’s already damaged. 

@woaahraya what are you currently using? What did you try? If you tried too many products at once you may have compromised your skin barrier. I would suggest sticking to a nice gentle cleanser live Cetaphil or Cerave followed by a nice moisturizer like Cerave or Vanicream. Take it easy on your skin. You’re 13 and your skin is likely going to change with hormones and as you age so a simple routine is best, I would say. Also, obligatory reminder that you can’t always trust what you see on the internet, both what they tell you and what you see. Filters, lighting, and angles make everyone’s skin look better than it is. 

well currently I've actually been only using petroleum jelly and like it's sort of like gasoline but I don't really use much products for my face and other than that I have the soap caught apexia and it's basically like for my skin but it just like makes my skin worse and more flaky

7 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
Photos1
  • Picsart_23-06-07_23-09-15-063.jpg
testing