Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Dry Skin

Under eye moisturizer?

I need a moisturizer for under my eyes that also helps prime for makeup. After I apply makeup to my face, my under eyes seem to be very dry. It may be the makeup I’m using but I’m sure using a moisturizer would help. Please correct me if any of these products are helping dry out my eyes. Makeup routine (that lay under my eyes) - Glow recipe watermelon moisturizer - tatcha silk canvas primer - Dior forever foundation OR Lancôme fluid foundation - tarte shape tape concealer - RMCA translucent powder (medium layer, not thick but not light either) - MAC pro powder (emphasize) light layer Any suggestions to alternate makeup products to help with this problem would be really appreciated. I’m open to advice!

Re: Under eye moisturizer?

My undereyes are the driest skin on my face, so I hear you. The eye moisturizer I currently use is Biossance Peptide + Squalane Eye Gel. (Can’t tag it but Sephora sells it: https://www.sephora.com/product/squalane-peptide-eye-gel-P416562?icid2=products%20grid:p416562:produ...) I usually apply 2 layers of it to damp skin: apply one layer, wait a couple minutes, then apply a second layer. This eye gel does kinda act as a primer for me. 

But what really behaves like a primer for me is the sunscreen I always use under my eyes: SUPERGOOP! - Unseen Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 40. No matter which other sunscreen I use on the rest of my face (sometimes it’s this one), Unseen Sunscreen always goes under my eyes and on my lids. If you don’t currently use a sunscreen daily as your last skincare step, I strongly suggest you start. This one’s completely invisible, blends in with minimal effort (so I don’t have to rub hard under/above my eyes), and helps my concealer sit better. 

Back to moisturizers: If your undereyes are VERY dry, I recommend applying multiple layers of whichever moisturizer you choose. In the winter, I usually have to apply even more layers. 🙂 And make sure your skin’s damp before applying moisturizer: tap a little water on your skin if it’s quite dry by the time you reach your moisturization step, so your moisturizer can seal in hydration. At night, I usually apply a facial oil under my eyes (many people like KORA Organics Noni Glow Radiant Eye Oil .34 oz / 10 mL for this; I also like it but my eyes are weirdly sensitive to it, so I use e.l.f. Nourishing Facial Oil instead) as a moisturizer. Some nights I top it with my full face moisturizer, Youth To The People Superfood Air-Whip Lightweight Face Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid 2 oz / 59 m... And some nights I use just the YTTP moisturizer under my eyes. 

One more thing: Tarte Shape Tape was much too drying for my undereyes. It didn’t play nice with my skin texture at all. If switching moisturizers doesn’t help your issue, you might need to try a different concealer—something oil based, or perhaps a more liquidy one (though that formula type doesn’t usually work will for me). My usual is NARS Radiant Creamy, but I’m constantly trying different concealers. I’d like Tarte Creaseless Concealer, despite it’s very thick texture, if I could find a better shade match for me. 

Re: Under eye moisturizer?

Something else I just realized: you mentioned using a setting powder not heavily but not lightly either. Try easing up on the amount of powder you use. Apply just a tiny bit of powder. You shouldn’t need much to set concealer. 

I apply concealer sparingly under my eyes—usually just in my tear troughs—and I use such a teeny bit of powder, you’d think it wouldn’t work at all. 😄 You can just barely see the powder on my brush before I apply it. I do use a rockstar powder (By Terry Hyaluronic Hydra-Powder) most of the time, but sometimes I use the Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush powder instead in just as tiny an amount, and it works well. 

Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing