Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Dry Skin

Skincare help

Please help! I often get dry skin and last year found out I am very sensitive/ allergic to the heat from the sun which causes dryness, rashes and hives, especially in the summer! I’m looking for advice and recommendations on skin care with sunscreen and protecting moisturizers to help hydrated my skin and protect it from the sun throughout the summer. If you know any great and affordable products please help. 

Re: Skincare help

Hi @Emma26coughlin !  Sorry to hear about your allergy! That's a rare condition, from what I've heard. Are you allergic to UV exposure, or just to heat? In other words, would you get hives on sunny winter (cold weather) day, or would hives appear only when your skin's hot (with or without sun exposure)? Did the doctor who diagnosed you offer any product suggestions? 

Sunscreens (check your local drugstores or—if you're in the US— Ulta): 

Spoiler

Eucerin Advanced Hydration Sunscreen SPF 50 - contains humectant (hydrating) sodium hyaluronate, skin-soothing licorice root, and aloe vera which is a humectant and skin soother. It's water-resistant up to 80 minutes. This sunscreen's new on the market. I haven't tried it yet but it's on my list. 

Eucerin Age Defense Sunscreen SPF 50 - also contains sodium hyaluronate and licorice root, plus dimethicone which is a good moisturizing ingredient. It's also a new product, but I've used and enjoyed this one. It has a moisturizing cream texture that doesn't run into my sensitive eyes when I apply it on my eyelids. 

La Roche-Posay Anthelios Melt-In Milk Sunscreen SPF 100 - contains dimethicone and glycerin (a humectant). I use this sunscreen in Chicago winter weather, on top of my usual daytime moisturizer. It adds an extra layer of moisturization my skin needs in frigid cold weather. I don't like using this sunscreen on my mostly-dry combo face once temps warm up because it makes my skin look and feel greasy. But I still use it on other exposed body skin: my neck, arms, wrists, ankles, feet, etc. You might like using it year round. Quick note: 

Spoiler
Normally I don't tell folks to grab the highest SPF sunscreen they can find because SPF 30 is adequate, especially since sunscreen should be reapplied throughout the day anyway. (That goes for this SPF 100 one, too.) But an SPF this high might be good for folks who don't apply as much sunscreen, or reapply as often, as they should. Don't count on it to last all day—you should still reapply every couple hours—but at least you'll start off with a high SPF. 

Eucerin also makes a couple of mineral sunscreens, if you're more interested in those. (The 3 sunscreens I've mentioned so far are chemical.) And all of the sunscreens I've mentioned can be used on your whole body, not just your face. 

Moisturizers: 

Spoiler
Effective drugstore options include CeraVe Moisturizing Cream, Vanicream Moisturizing Cream, and various Cetaphil moisturizers. I use Vanicream Daily Facial Moisturizer, but you might find their cream moisturizer's better for your particular skin. 

If your skin's very dry, consider a balm moisturizer. Petrolatum's the most occlusive (water loss preventing) skincare ingredient available, and you can use a petrolatum-based balm as a moisturizer. These include plain ol' Vaseline or other brands of petroleum jelly; CeraVe Healing Ointment; Aquaphor Ointment (avoid this one if you're skin-sensitive to lanolin); and others. In the winter, I use Aquaphor Ointment to protect my face from chapping and windburn. 

If petrolatum feels too heavy on your skin, a thick dimethicone-based balm may work better... perhaps Aveeno Eczema Therapy Night Balm or Vanicream Moisturizing Ointment (formerly known as Vaniply). 

Do you need a moisturizer for the rest of your body as well, or do you already have one that works for you? If you already have a good one, you could try using it on your face as well, depending on what's in it. 

Whichever moisturizer you choose, apply it to damp (but not soaking wet) skin. That way you'll seal in hydration instead of dryness. 

If you need even more hydration, consider adding a hydrating serum or toner/essence to your skincare routine. Hyaluronic acid's already in a lot of products, but you could try a product like: 

• The Ordinary Multi-Peptide + HA Serum - loaded with hydrating ingredients including peptides. I use Buffet most mornings and always apply it to damp skin. 
  • e.l.f. Pure Skin Toner - contains several good hydrators (aloe, sodium hyaluronate, trehalose, sodium PCA). Avoid this product if your skin's sensitive to witch hazel. I have a bottle of this on deck to test soon. 
  • Good Molecules Hyaluronic Acid Boosting Essence - contains 3 forms of hyaluronic acid plus urea. I currently use this in the morning and it helps keep my skin hydrated all day. 

If you haven't yet, please do follow up with your doctor for more product suggestions. I assume they've already told you to limit sun exposure, wear dark or UV protective clothing and accessories, etc. 

Conversation Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing