Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Dry Skin
|

My boyfriend gets really dry flakey skin under his beard

My boyfriend loves his beard and refuses to shave.  However, the skin underneath ends up getting pretty dry and somewhat flakey.  Anyone have any good suggestions for a moisturizer? Or anything he could do to help with his dry skin?

I agree with the other posts..Shaving actually exfoliates...

I agree with the other posts..Shaving actually exfoliates your skin and so the skin underneath his beard is in need of exfoliation.  Since it may be hard to rub a manual exfoliator into his beard (one with beads) he should try using a chemical exfoliator like glycolic acid.  He can use a glycolic toner and then follow with a good moisturizer.   DDF 10% Glycolic Toner is great and can be applied with a cotton round.  He can also try pre soaked pads that exfoliate his skin for a quicker routine.

I agree with the other post suggesting Argan Oil- it is clear and hydrates instantly and won't leave any residue on his beard hair.

xoxo

Jill

this sounds like my husband.  He has combination skin, bu...

this sounds like my husband.  He has combination skin, but doesn't seem to realize WHY the skin under his beard is flaking.  Well....when you shave, it also exfoliates the cells that are turning over and flaking off.  Same thing happens when we shave our legs!  (Protip:  do NOT use a scrub after body wash before you shave your legs.  The bits of scrub that may not have washed off your body get in the razor and clog it.  Use the body wash after. Trust me)

I'm lucky though.  Dan has to shave his beard off every month.  He's Army Reserve and they don't like facial hair of any kind.  (YAY!)  I have sensitive skin and his beard just irritates the heck out of it, but he still won't shave because I ask him to.  The argan oil idea sounds like a good one though...except my husband's also one of those guys who thinks he doesn't need to use anything for his skin.

An ex boyfriend of mine used to always do "no shave Novem...

An ex boyfriend of mine used to always do "no shave November" and would always get super dry, flakey skin underneath his beard! One year, I made him use some Argan Oil on the beard area and it quickly worked like a charm. It hydrated his skin, but it also kept the beard looking nice too (Argan Oil can be used for hair, skin or nails)

Hope this helps!

My boyfriend uses Bluebeards Original beard saver. I wish...

My boyfriend uses Bluebeards Original beard saver. I wish Sephora would carry it!

well that's...no personal observation or experience so I...

well that's...no personal observation or experience so I can only guess.

It depends on how long his beard is I suppose. If it's .25in long, then just use a scrub, then rub some facial moisturizers in. If it is really long, like 1-3 inches, then it would probably be better to treat it like a scalp? like before you shower, rub olive oil or something super moisturizing in it, then use shampoo to wash your hair/beard.

I have combo skin but it was getting super dry last week. I was desperate and made my own brown sugar scrub (olive oil, brown sugar, honey, and lemon zest or vanilla extract as you see fit) and rub it on my face, then pat dry. It worked great. He can use the scrub in his beard (olive oil is moisturizing, honey is antibacterial, and sugar dissolves so he's not stuck with stuff in his beard).

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing