Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Dry Skin
|

Moisturizer for Dry Skin

Hi, I’m looking for a THICK moisturizer for really dry skin. I have been using Biossance Omega Repair cream at day time but would like something thicker since my skin sucks it all up if I am in front of the AC for a few minutes or if there’s a tad bit of wind outside. I also use skin fix leptide cream at night time (and love it), but want to keep that at night only since it’s a little on the greasy side. 

Re: Moisturizer for Dry Skin

@EsmeraldaMB, here are some moisturizer with a thicker consistency that might be of interest to you:

• Dr. Jart+ Ceramidin™ Cream - this is one of my go to's in the coldest part of the winter when my skin gets very dry
  • Weleda Skin Food Original Ultra-Rich Cream - not sold at Sephora
  • JLo Beauty That Blockbuster Wonder Cream - I don't know why I can't tag this product. I received it as a gift; it has an olive scent to it that is on the strong side. It's very thick - I apply it by pressing and working it into my skin because the thickness can make it a bit challenging to just spread it all over like I normally would.

Have you tried incorporating a face oil into your routine to help with dryness, or layering a hydrating serum underneath your moisturizer? I've found both to be helpful when my skin sucks up all or a good amount of my moisturizer. 

My skin is SO dry—like I’ve put on Vaseline and been dry again in less than an hour dry—so keep that in mind with my advice.

If you want a super thick cream, plain old Vanicream is great, not expensive, can be found at places like Walgreen’s. The occlusive ingredient in it is petrolatum.

I also have started using whipped grassfed tallow on my skin. If you’re not vegan it’s amazing. I buy from two ladies online, they have a very no frills website called Fannie and Flo. It can seem greasy at first but my skin soaks it up really well after a few minutes and I feel like consistent use has really improved my skin’s baseline level dryness. It is full of vitamins and minerals, and the lipid profile is one of the most compatible for human skin. At night I do the tallow with Vanicream on top and wake up feeling pretty good lately.

I have the same problem too. The things I did to try to fix it was minimizing retinol use to just my t-zone, stopping abrasive exfoliation, using a chemical exfoliant only 1 time a week, and finding the right daytime cream. I had also tried using hyaluronic acid cream and it did not work no matter how I applied it, it made my skin even dryer. These helped a bit, but what really did it was the Drunk Elephant Protini Moisturizer and Serum.

I received the 7-day Drunk Elephant peptide rally sample and it was amazing. In less than 7 days it made my skin feel hydrated and soft like nothing else I've ever used before. I have a few other products that I need to use up before I can justify buying the set, but I am looking forward to using this regularly.  I use this at night, but it could be used during the day as well, it doesn't look greasy or heavy.

During the day, I found that the Lancome Absolue Revitalizing & Brightening Soft Cream worked for me. It was thick but not too thick, it worked well under my sunscreen and primer - by that I mean it did not pill up, and it seems to last all day. The downsides are it's not sold through Sephora - I got a discount through the Lancome site though and they sell refill for a lower price, it is fragranced, and it is over $100. 

Another good cream that worked nicely for me was the Kiehl's Ultra Facial Moisturizing Cream with Squalane. I chose the Lacome cream over this because it went on a little more smoothly.

@EsmeraldaMB  If your searching for a thick cream for dry skin I totally recommend Drunk Elephant Lala Retro™ Nourishing Whipped Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL I use it in the winter. It’s super thick and really helps with super dry skin!! 

Thank you so much!

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing