Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Dry Skin
|

Mature dry skin

I have dry and mature skin with wrinkles and lines.loss of elasticity as well.  What products should I use?

Re: Mature dry skin

@RaenaPhelps What do you currently use on your skin (brands + product names)? 

For starters, try upping your hydration and moisturization game. That's what I do for my mostly-dry combo skin (I'm nearly 50). A few suggestions: 

Spoiler

Gentle hydrating cleanser - one that won't strip your skin or leave it feeling "squeaky clean," dry, or tight. Many folks love CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser. I use the bar form (CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser Bar) on my face and body each night. If I wash my face in the morning (aside from just gently wiping it down with a wet Makeup Eraser type cloth), I use Paula's Choice Optimal Results Hydrating Cleanser. 

Hydration - a humectant ingredient (hyaluronic acid/sodium hyaluronate, PCA/sodium PCA, polyglutamic acid, honey, urea, carrageenan, etc.) can draw moisture to your skin. Peptides are also very good hydrators and skin strengtheners. Consider using The Ordinary "Buffet" 1 oz/ 30 mL on damp skin: it contains lots of peptides and hyaluronic acid. 

Treat wrinkles and loss of elasticity - retinoids (retinol, retinaldehyde, tretinoin, etc.) can boost your skin's collagen production to increase firmness and bounciness, plus reduce the appearance of wrinkles. Retinoids also speed up the skin renewal process, so they're helpful for hyperpigmentation. If you've never used one before, start low and slow: choose a low strength retinol (under, say, 0.3%) and use it just once a week for a few weeks, then increase to twice a week, and gradually increase usage till you're at a comfy-for-you frequency. Some OTC options to consider: Paula's Choice RESIST Barrier Repair Moisturizer with Retinol 1.7 oz/ 50 mL , The INKEY List Retinol Fine Lines and Wrinkles Serum 1 oz / 30 ml (it's not quite as strong as The Inkey List claims, but it's effective), First Aid Beauty FAB Skin Lab Retinol Serum 0.25% Pure Concentrate 1 oz/ 30 mL , or The Ordinary Retinol 0.2% in Squalane, Signs of Aging Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL . Or you can ask a dermatologist or your primary care doctor about prescription strength tretinoin. 

You might wanna hold off on starting retinol or another retinoid until your skin's used to the rest of this routine. In fact, you might get good results from increased hydration and peptides alone. Note that retinoids aren't overnight miracles: results will take at least 1-2 months of consistent use. And nothing, not even tretinoin, can give you the same instant and complete wrinkle-erasing effects of injectables like Botox, so keep your expectations realistic. 

Moisturizer - always apply to damp skin. (If your skin's dried down by this point in your routine, tap a little water on it or use a hydrating mist.) Look for one that contains ceramides. Bonus points if it also contains cholesterol and some petrolatum, which is the best moisturizing ingredient available and is fantastic for very dry skin. CeraVe Moisturizing Cream fits the bill. I use Vanicream Daily Facial Moisturizer day and night. A similar lightweight moisturizer with ceramides is CeraVe PM Facial Moisturizing Lotion. For options Sephora sells, there's the pricy Drunk Elephant Protini™ Polypeptide Firming Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL (also comes in a mini size); a good cheaper dupe is Acure Radically Rejuvenating Whipped Night Cream. Depending on how dry your skin is, you might even like Drunk Elephant Lala Retro™ Nourishing Whipped Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL or Skinfix Barrier+ Triple Lipid-Peptide Face Cream . 

Broad spectrum sunscreen (AM only), at least SPF 30 - apply it daily, regardless of weather or season. Which one's best for you depends on your personal preferences: chemical vs mineral vs. hybrid sunscreen (all 3 types are safe and effective); tinted vs. invisible vs. "eh, a little white/grey/purple cast is fine"; matte vs. natural/radiant vs. dewy vs. "glass skin" finish... A popular reliable option is Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Invisible Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA +++ 1.7 oz/ 50 mL , but there are plenty of other good sunscreens out there, including some you'll find at your local Target or drugstore. 

I'm currently using Neutrogena anti wrinkle serum in morning and at night plus the rapid wrinkles repair cream at night

Get a retinol form a dermatologist (this takes care of both wrinkles and texture). From Sephora u can try biossance lactic acid(2-3 nights per week) or Paulas choice azeleic and wear sunscreen to prevent more wrinkles . Also get a thick moisturizer like the naturium ceramide cream(not at Sephora)

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing