cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Dry Skin

I need a everyday skin care for dry skin

I need a everyday skin care for dry skin

Re: I need a everyday skin care for dry skin

@Eileem09  If dryness is your only skin issue, then you can do a fairly simple routine: 

Night: 

1. Cleanser - what do you currently use to wash your face? If it leaves your skin feeling tight, stripped, or “squeaky clean,” then you probably need to switch to a more hydrating cleanser. CeraVe, Cetaphil, Vanicream, and La Roche-Posay make good inexpensive cleansers for dry skin. If you need to remove makeup first, try a cleansing balm, cleansing oil, or micellar water, then follow with your cleanser. Which one’s “best” depends on your personal preference. My personal faves are The Inkey List Oat Cleansing Balm, COSRX Low pH Niacinamide Micellar Water, Paula’s Choice Gentle Touch Makeup Remover (I use the most often for stubborn eye makeup), and Bioderma Sensibio H2O Micellar Water. 

2. Hydrating serum, spray, or toner/essence - for my mostly-dry combo skin, I use The Ordinary Multi-Peptide + HA Serum or The Ordinary Multi-Peptide + Copper Peptides 1% Serum  (the main difference between them is just a copper peptide). Both those serums are loaded with many humectants and other hydrating ingredients. You won’t need to use a whole dropper of serum; I usually use about half a dropper on my face and neck. Another option is a hydrating spray; my faves are Timeless HA Matrixyl 3000 w/Cucumber Spray and COSRX Centella Water Alcohol Free Toner. I used to use Youth To The People Adaptogen Soothe + Hydrate Activated Mist with Peptides 4 oz/ 118 mL in the winter (when my skin needs the most hydration/moisturization help) with good results. 

3. Moisturizer - first, make sure your skin’s damp, but not dripping wet (you can use a hydrating mist or just tap/spray a little water on your face), to help seal in hydration instead of dryness. Then immediately apply a moisturizer. My usual nighttime moisturizer is CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion. If my skin needs extra help, I use either CeraVe Moisturizing Cream or Vanicream Moisturizing Cream; they both contain petrolatum, the most occlusive (water-loss preventing) skincare ingredient on the market. If you reeeally wanna use something Sephora carries, Paula's Choice Omega+ Complex Moisturizer 1.7 oz/ 50 mL is a good one. 

Morning: 

1. Cleaner (optional) - some folks don’t need to wash their face in the morning. I usually gently wipe my face with a soft wet microfiber cloth (like a Makeup Eraser). If I do need a morning wash, I use something very gentle like e.l.f. Pure Skin Cleanser or CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser (I prefer e.l.f.’s because it doesn’t sting my eyes), or I’ll even just use a micellar water—and whichever product I use, I wash only the parts of my face that need it, which is usually just around my eyes. 

2. Hydrating serum/mist/toner/essence - whichever one you use at night is probably fine to repeat in the morning, as long as it doesn’t contain an AHA (alpha hydroxy acid: glycolic acid, lactic acid, mandelic acid); you don’t wanna use an AHA product daily or twice daily, lest your over-exfoliate your skin which’ll lead to all kinds of badness. 

3. Moisturizer - you can repeat your PM moisturizer if you want. My daytime moisturizer is usually CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion in warm weather or CeraVe Moisturizing Cream/Vanicream Moisturizing Cream in cold weather. But sometimes I use Vanicream Daily Facial Moisturizer instead. 

4. Broad spectrum sunscreen (at least SPF 30) - apply generously to all skin exposed to sunlight (eyelids, ears, behind ears, hairline, nape of neck if exposed, etc.) and reapply every couple hours, all year long, regardless of weather or season. If you’ll be indoors all day and not sitting beside an unshielded window, then you won’t need to reapply until you go outside. If your skin gets wet or you get very sweaty while you’re outdoors, reapply your sunscreen. Heck, a sunscreen that contains at least one good moisturizing ingredient (dimethicone, shea butter, etc.) can double as a moisturizer, so you could even skip step 3 up there depending on how dry your skin is. I do that during summer, but any other time of year I usually need a separate moisturizer under my sunscreen. 

Which sunscreen’s right for you is highly subjective. Do you already use one? A cult favorite is Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Invisible Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA +++ ; that’s the one I always travel with and use most often at home. If you have a local Trader Joe’s, they make a pretty good dupe for a lot less money: Trader Joe’s Daily Facial Sunscreen SPF 40. I also really like Skin1004 Hyalu-Cica Water-Fit Sun Serum SPF 50, which you can find at most K-beauty retailers. 

@Eileem09  The line I depend upon most is Biossance, which is also a great line for sensitive skin.  Most of it is unscented, except for a cleanser, toner, and lightly scented rose oil.

Every day I use their:

Biossance Squalane + Omega Repair Deep Hydration Moisturizer 1.69 oz / 50 mL 

Biossance Squalane + Peptide Brightening & De-Puffing Eye Gel 0.5 oz / 15 mL   This works well under makeup.

If I need a bit more moisture I will add their #Biossance squalane   It won't tag for me.

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing