Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Dry Skin
|

How to wear Tarte Rainforest of the Sea Foundation

Recently bought the TARTE - Water Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 15 - Sea Collection but, I find it isn't applying nicely and need some recommendations. I have mostly dry skin and notice the foundation sits on top of my skin, and looks patchy up close, sometimes even piling into little flakes but I've been cautious not to smear when applying. This is my current routine: 

1. wash with Mario Badescu seaweed cleanser
  2. apply witch hazel toner + THE ORDINARY - Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5
  3. moisturize with Neutrogena Hydro-boost gel cream + eye cream
  4. prime with Too Faced Hangover Replenishing Face Primer 1.35 oz/ 40 mL
  5. apply foundation with damp beauty blender (brush leaves stroke marks)
  6. set with translucent powder + Anastasia Beverly Hills Dewy Set Hydrating Setting Spray

I do use The Ordinary 100% Plant-Derived Squalane 1 oz/ 30 mLat night but avoid it on the days I know I'm wearing the foundation. I read online that since it is a water foundation it doesn't mix with oil but I've also seen people mix it with oil to create a dewy, highlight from within look. Wondering if that could help it stay better on my face? 

How to wear Tarte Rainforest of the Sea Foundation

Personally I would use a Matt primer. I know on instinct that's shocking because we all have dry skin here. I have dry skin but when I used a really dewy foundation with a really dewy primer, all my makeup slips all over the place, and pills (like you said). Usuing a Matt primer with a dewy foundation kind of evens things out so I don't look like I'm sweating or desert dry. Also if you keep using the dewy set spray you will keep looking more dewy anyways without the worry.

Re: How to wear Tarte Rainforest of the Sea Foundation

Thank you! I switched to the Ordinary primer and it works much better. You are right, matte primer with dewy foundation and dewy spray still looks and feels hydrating. 

@fishie23 have you tried with a different moisturizer or primer? Maybe that's what's making it pill. I used it a couple of years ago and I don't remember having any issues but water foundations can sometimes be finicky. 

I switched to the Ordinary primer and it works much better! Also, I found I needed to wait longer for my moisturizer to sink in completely before applying the foundation.

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing