Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Dry Skin
|

How do I get my makeup to stop doing this?

1561237586355558158340955341459.jpg

I moisturize twice a day and use primer before putting on my make up. It was a liquid foundation, liquid concealer, then a setting powder. It always comes out like this. I've tried wetting a beauty sponge or buffing with a brush and it still happens. Ugh.

Re: How do I get my makeup to stop doing this?

First, you should exfoliate with a mild chemical exfoliant , use a good primer (I like the Tatcha silk canvas) Don’t apply your foundation with a brush, try your fingers or a dampened sponge, a brush will just kick up dead skin cells and flake off your makeup even more. Finally, just skip setting powder altogether. If you have dry skin, you don’t need it. I have powder to use only in the rare occasion that it’s summer and it’s hot and I MIGHT need to touch up my t-zone, but I normally never use powder to set my makeup. 

How do I get my makeup to stop doing this?

I quit using setting powder, even under my eyes, and I haven't had an issue with my makeup looking like this anymore. During the summer I do get a little more shiny since I live in a very humid climate, but I find I can get away with blotting my skin and dusting a tiny amount of powder onto *just* the shiny areas. If my concealer/foundation creases during the day I will just occassionally pat and smooth the product out again with my fingers.

RE: How do I get my makeup to stop doing this?

Your makeup is clinging to dead skin cells that need to be exfoliated away. Use a chemical exfoliant as part of your night routine - glycolic and lactic are best for gentle exfoliation. A couple of nights a week, add in a gentle physical exfoliant. In the mornings, use a hydrating cream cleanser (I like Ren’s Evercalm Gentle Cleansing Milk) and follow up with a super hydrating moisturizer (I love Herbivore Pink Cloud) and a hydrating primer (I like smashbox primerizer). Also be sure you’re using a hydrating foundation!

I had a similar thing going on for awhile. (I never found out what it was) Lately I’ve been using Saturday Skin’s rub-a-dub-dub and their daily moisturizer and it’s helped a lot.

My skin looked like this. I have eczema too so my skin is always dry. I started razoring my face (I use the eyebrow razors. Not only does it remove the peach fuzz it also removed dead skin. I do this once maybetwice a month, after I was my face no just dry. I use a hydrating toner. And hydrating primer. It’s made a HUGE difference. Also I started using the hourglass setting powder which is not as drying I found. Damp blender and very light hand.

Re: RE: How do I get my makeup to stop doing this?

What toner and primer do you use?

@ccoberley Since we don’t really know what you are referring to in your picture, I think we are going on the assumption that it’s the powdery finish that is laying on the surface of your skin. 

You don’t mention anything about your skincare routine other then you put moisturizer on. 

Do you exfoliate, either manually or chemically? 

Also, I find it not necessary to apply powder to the entirety of my face (dry skin type), I only use powder under my eyes and my nose and I apply it with Beautyblender POWER POCKET PUFF™ Dual-Sided Powder Puff for Setting and Baking

@ccoberley  What's your skin type? Have you tried skipping the setting powder? You could try applying the powder with a damp sponge (as opposed to using it to blend the power in after) What about a finishing spray? Something like Mac Fix or anything with glycerin in it? 

So hard to say as it could be so many different things. And pictures are hard to get a good gage of the issue too. One thing, if you don’t already, work in a good exfoliating product of your choice at least weekly. There are products for everyone even dry and sensitive skin. A chemical exfoliate I love is Drunk Elephant Babyfacial. You only use once a week. Also Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant is amazing and gentle. Also by the picture you might be a little heavy with the powder or it is The lighting. Maybe try less. Also no matter your skin type all skin needs a good base for makeup. Moisturizer, maybe a primer. Sephora will give samples of all products in the store so if you can go in and ask. Good luck.
9 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 16 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
Photos1
  • 1561237586355558158340955341459.jpg
testing