Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Dry Skin
|

Face moisturizer

What is a good face cream for dry skin? No SPF.

Re: Face moisturizer

@gemma11  From an ingredients perspective, here are some that contain occlusive ingredients (things that truly help skin retain moisture/hydration). I'll start with several you can find at drugstores. A good skincare product needn't cost much money or come in a fancy/pretty jar. 🙂 

• CeraVe Moisturizing Cream - contains occlusive ingredients petrolatum and dimethicone, plus several ceramides. 
  • CeraVe Healing Ointment - a petrolatum based balm that's great to use on parts of your skin where your moisture barrier is damaged. Also good to use on your entire face, especially during frigid winter weather. Also contains ceramides, plus mineral oil. 
  • Aquaphor Ointment - my personal favorite petrolatum based balm. Contains lanolin; if you're sensitive to that ingredient, skip this product. I also use this as my daily lip balm. 
  • Aveeno Eczema Therapy Itch Relief Balm - contains dimethicone, a ceramide, and colloidal oatmeal. This balm is slightly less greasy than the 2 ointments I just mentioned, if that texture bothers you. Aveeno also makes a version of this balm for babies that contains mostly the same ingredients, just shuffled in a different order. 
  • Aveeno Eczema Therapy Daily Moisturizing Cream - contains petrolatum, dimethicone, a ceramide, and colloidal oatmeal. This is a cream, not a balm. I've been testing it on my mostly-dry combo skin (while my face heals from a very bad reaction + barrier break) and my face likes it much more than I expected. 
  • Vanicream Moisturizing Skin Cream - a simple petrolatum based moisturizer that's often recommended by dermatologists, especially to folks with sensitive skin. 
  • Vanicream Daily Facial Moisturizer - contains squalane, several ceramides, and hyaluronic acid. I've been testing this one. It works fine during the day. I personally can't use it at night because it doesn't layer well with my current retinol serum: I apply retinol after moisturizer, and I always get major product pilling with this Vanicream moisturizer for some reason. 
  • The INKEY List Peptide Moisturizer 1.7 oz/ 50 mL - shea butter is the occlusive ingredient here. It works fine for me, but I doubt it'd be moisturizing enough once temps drop below freezing. I seem to have that issue with most shea butter based moisturizers. Your mileage may vary. 
  • Drunk Elephant Lala Retro™ Whipped Moisturizer with Ceramides 1.69 oz/ 50 mL - contains marula oil and baobab oil, 2 oils that are occlusive (not all plant oils are). Also contains other plant oils, ceramides, and hyaluronic acid. This is one of the only 2 DE products my skin tolerates. 
  • Youth To The People Superfood Air-Whip Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid 2 oz/ 60 mL - my former favorite moisturizer, with sunflower oil as the main occlusive ingredient. This moisturizer now contains several fragrance components that irritate my skin, so I'm iffy about recommending it anymore—and that makes me sad because seriously, my face LOVED the old version of this stuff. Again, YMMV: if you can find a mini size (not sure if Sephora still sells one as part of a kit), it may be worth trying. 
  • Youth To The People Mini Adaptogen Deep Moisture Cream with Ashwagandha + Reishi 0.5 oz/ 15 mL - this one does come in a mini. 🙂 The occlusives are sunflower oil, squalane, and shea butter. My skin's not a big fan of this one, but many folks with dry skin love it. 

I love both tatcha Dewey skin cream and DL Lala retro! Both great for winter skin.

What is DL la la?

@gemma11 Fresh Rose deep hydration cream

Kiehl's Ultra facial Deep Balm

Caudalie Vinosource SOS Intense Hydration Moisturizer 1.6 oz/ 50 mL 

@gemma11  I am loving Farmacy Honey Halo Ultra-Hydrating Ceramide Moisturizer 1.7 oz/ 50 mL. It is so moisturizing but doesn’t feel heavy.

Dr. Jart+ Ceramidin cream is one of my all time favorites. I recommend applying before your skin has totally dried out. And it works especially well over light serums. It really locks in moisture.

Dr. Jart+ Ceramidin™ Cream 1.69 oz/ 50 mL 

I ordered Dr. Jart. I wish I had known about the limited 3 piece for the same price.

7 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors