Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Dry Skin
|

Everyday face cream on a budget!

I have extremely dry skin. Please suggest the cream that literally saves your face everyday from crazy dryness. Thanks in advance! 

Re: Everyday face cream on a budget!

I just got the bio oil dry skin gel and I’ve already noticed a difference! My skin is dry like no other and it’s helping me. 

I use CeraVe cream—a little can go a long way and I use it on my body too. Eucerin Intensive Repair feels amazing IMO but unfortunately I am allergic to lanolin (and forgot it was in Eucerin earlier this year...and slathered it on my face) and can’t use it. 

Hi @adeetamoni ! I love SEPHORA COLLECTION All Day Hydrator - Hydrate & Glow 1.69oz/ 50mL . It has Hyaluronic Acid, which pulls moisture from the air to your skin! 💧 It makes my skin hydrated, glowy and soft! Have a wonderful day 🙂

@adeetamoni  The 2 least expensive options I can think of that might actually work are CeraVe PM Facial Moisturizing Lotion (I know folks who use it as their AM and PM moisturizer) and Vanicream Moisturizing Cream. You can find them both at Target. Vanicream's occlusive ingredient is petrolatum; CeraVe PM's is dimethicone. Both should be great at helping your skin retain moisture. You could also try CeraVe Moisturizing Cream which contains both petrolatum and dimethicone. 

And don't let anyone scare you about those 2 ingredients: they won't stop your skin from "breathing," clog your pores, cause cancer, or whatever else the clean beauty crowd claims these days. 🤣 Note that it's possible for your skin to be sensitive to dimethicone or petrolatum, just as your skin could be sensitive to any other ingredient. Some folks' skin is very sensitive to vitamin C, for instance. 

I don't use any of those moisturizers I mentioned on my own face, though I've considered Vanicream many times (and my dermatologist has recommended it to me). I have mostly-dry combo skin and use Youth To The People Superfood Air-Whip Lightweight Face Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid 2 oz / 59 m... on a daily basis. Its main occlusive ingredient is sunflower oil, which my skin apparently loves. Sometimes I alternate that with Paula's Choice CLEAR Oil-Free Moisturizer during the daytime. Paula's Choice might have some budget-friendly options for you: they make moisturizers (and other skincare products) for various skin types, and they sell foil samples and/or travel sizes of many of their products. 

In the frozen depths of winter, I top YTTP Superfood with plain ol' Aquaphor Ointment, usually just on my dry zones and the most sensitive spots in my oily zone. If it's very cold and windy outside (um, I live in Chicago), I'll rub a thin layer of Aquaphor on my entire face before heading outdoors, to protect my skin from windburn and really lock in hydration. I also use Aquaphor Ointment as my daily lip balm, day and night. Few things I've used are more occlusive than Aquaphor. If your skin's sensitive to lanolin, you'll want to avoid this product and try something like CeraVe Healing Ointment. Both these products contain petrolatum (eh, mineral oil in CeraVe's case). CeraVe's also contains dimethicone. And all CeraVe products contain ceramides which are fantastic ingredients that help boost your skin's natural moisture barrier. 

Oh, and sometimes I'll layer a facial oil under or over my moisturizer for an extra boost of emollience and occlusivity (though not all plant oils are occlusive). A great inexpensive option is e.l.f. Nourishing Facial Oil which contains a nice blend of non-fragrancing oils (no essential oils). You could also use a food grade 100% oil like sunflower oil on your face. The oil that'll create the strongest moisture barrier (the most occlusive), though, is mineral oil—another ingredient that's not evil, contrary to popular belief. 

RE: Re: Everyday face cream on a budget!

I love everything about this reply. I am a huge fan of the cerave moisturizing cream - the one that comes in a huge tub. So cheap and so clutch when my skin is dry and angry.

Thank you so much for the descriptive suggestions! Really appreciate it. I used cetaphil but my skin couldn’t absorb it and started getting pimples. I haven’t used ceravee but from what I read from your reply, I’ll try aqaphor ointment (Eucerin) and see how my skin reacts. I have extremely dry and sensitive skin and I live in Canada. So layering with facial oil and the Suggested ointment might help with the cold weather. Thanks again! 

@adeetamoni Kiehl's Ultra Facial Deep Hydration balm and Caudalie Vinosource SOS Intense Hydration Moisturizer 1.6 oz/ 50 mL 

Thank you! I have added them on my wish list to try out! 

Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 20 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing