Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Dry Skin
|

Dry Skin

Hi, What’s good for dry skin for a African American female in her 40’s? I have dry skin and what looks like a dark spot on both sides of my slight cheek bone area. You can see little white bumps on my skin and my skin looks dry. So what would reverse this and have my skin feeling and looking hydrated!? Thank you

Re: Dry Skin

Especially for dry skin, I'd suggest starting by adding ceramides to your skin care routine to strengthen your skin barrier.  After a week or two I'd add in some Niacinamide as well.

It may also help to hold off of any AHAs, BHAs, Vitamin C and Retinol for a couple weeks.

Hi @StarCeeBurst ! What’s your current skincare routine (brands + product names, from cleanser to sunscreen)? I can give better recommendations based on what you currently use on your skin. 

Generally speaking, humectant ingredients will draw moisture to your skin. These include hyaluronic acid, polyglutamic acid, PCA (or sodium PCA), trehalose, honey, good ol’ glycerin, etc. At age 50 with mostly-dry combo skin, my favorite hydrating products are The Ordinary Buffet Anti-Aging Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL , It’s Skin Power 10 Formula Li Effector, and Good Molecules Hyaluronic Acid Boosting Essence. 

Humectants aren’t helpful unless you seal in hydration with a good moisturizer, applied while skin’s still damp. What do you currently use? It might not be occlusive (water loss preventing) enough for your skin. I don’t want to suggest a moisturizer without knowing more about your routine. 

Also, your cleanser could be too drying. What’s your current cleanser? If you wash your face twice daily, try skipping the AM wash. Overwashing can worsen dry skin. 

Do you use sunscreen? That’s another way to combat dryness as well as dark spots. 

About your dark spots: have you ever seen a dermatologist about them? If they’re fairly large patches and placed symmetrically on your face (sounds like yours are), you might have melasma. That’s tricky to treat without a doctor’s help. There are plenty of ingredients that target hyperpigmentation but, again, I’ll want to know more about your skincare routine before suggesting products in this category. 

Hi, right now I don’t have a skin regimen. And I need one lol. But when I do cleanse my face I use Cerve Hydration foaming cleanse. Then I’ll use Shea moisture hydration oil & lotion and that’s it. I think what throws me off on getting in a regimen is me working overnights. 

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing