Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Dry Skin
|

DRY SKIN TALK

I think it's about time we have a place for people with dry skin to talk their dry skin, share, discuss, help each other with their skincare routines, problems, goals.... Skincare. Life style changes. Anything. As much as we can. We don't have to be experts to help each other out. Maybe our experiences combined and put together can produce something helpful and beautiful for every fellow dry skin person that might seek help, word of advice, or simply a "safe haven".

Of course, you don't have to have dry skin to join us. Anyone with some wisdom willing to share is welcomed here!

upload_2505217092246032622.jpg

Re: Dry Skin Talk

Cross posting, because it might be helpful here, as well...

I finally tried my Kora Noni Oil promo last night. On its own, as I always do when testing something new. I was afraid it is not gonna be enough on its own, and I will have to slap something else on top of it in the middle of the night ( as I often have to ). Most oils are just way to light for my skin and I have to mix/layer them with other products. Some are straight out drying. Well... This one is surprisingly nourishing on its own, while being quite light, too. It sank right into my skin, leaving natural finish, subtle glow, as healthy skin should look. My skin felt pretty comfy, not tight, dry, anything. It even diminished some redness in my skin, too. But, I was curious to see what will happen when I wake up. To my surprise, my skin was not dry, tight and flaky as I was expecting it to be! At all. It actually looked bright, bouncy, happy and hydrated. So, first impression - I am impressed by the mere fact the oil was enough on its own! Let's see what happens with every day use. Hopefully nothing bad. 😄

lyravega wrote:

Cross posting, because it might be helpful here, as well...

I finally tried my Kora Noni Oil promo last night. On its own, as I always do when testing something new. I was afraid it is not gonna be enough on its own, and I will have to slap something else on top of it in the middle of the night ( as I often have to ). Most oils are just way to light for my skin and I have to mix/layer them with other products. Some are straight out drying. Well... This one is surprisingly nourishing on its own, while being quite light, too. It sank right into my skin, leaving natural finish, subtle glow, as healthy skin should look. My skin felt pretty comfy, not tight, dry, anything. It even diminished some redness in my skin, too. But, I was curious to see what will happen when I wake up. To my surprise, my skin was not dry, tight and flaky as I was expecting it to be! At all. It actually looked bright, bouncy, happy and hydrated. So, first impression - I am impressed by the mere fact the oil was enough on its own! Let's see what happens with every day use. Hopefully nothing bad. 😄

So, I've used up my promo deluxe sample size oil, and everything I said about it in my first impression still stands. It is a very nice oil! It makes my skin happy. No negative "side effects" of any sort with daily use. Just a lot of goodness. My skin approves.

@AMK721  Have you tried it yet?

Thanks for the first impressions @lyravega. This is a product I have my eye on.

Not a problem, @AMK721 . I will make sure to update my experience with the oil after some time of consecutive using.

ok so I've had dry skin since I was in my teens. I vividly remember applying my covergirl foundation and asking my mom why it was flaking off. she told me I have dry skin like she does :'(

but I swear my recent skincare endeavors have TOTALLY changed my skin. i challenged myself this year to test as many brands as i can afford and I've had some ups and downs, but am overall absurdly pleased.

dry skin favorites:

Ren Glycol Lactic Renewal Mask - still swearing by this. it was my biggest game changer
Peter Thomas Roth Rose stem cell mask - this makes a giant difference in my skin; i leave it on longer than 10 minutes :X

Murad Age Reform Hydro Dynamic Ultimate Moisture - incredibly effective day cream that is still non-greasy and can be used sparingly.
Farmacy Sleep Tight: quite possibly the fastest working hydrator that I've found yet

i haven't decided on a favorite serum yet. I liked Clairns Double Serum, Clinique Custom Smart, and Ole Henriksen truth serum. it might be that it's hardest to observe the changes with serums because they all seemed fairly similar to me (with slightly more visible differences as the price rises, annoyingly lol)

I feel like my AM skincare routine is missing something.  Whenever I wear foundation, no matter what primer I layer underneath, my skin seems to suck out the base of the foundation leaving me with little balls of pigment.

What I use in the morning:

Soy Face Cleanser

Vitamin C Serum (Right now Ole Henrickson, rotate between that and DE) 

DE Virgin Marula Oil

DE Lala whipped moisturizer

I leave my treatments for the PM, just where I can typically leave for work around 5;30 and I don't want to get up super early.

I finish off the day with:

Josie Maran Cleansing Oil

Soy Face Cleanser
Treatments (Dr. Dennis Gross peels, Good Genes, whatever mask my skin may need)

Hydrating serum

Luna oil
Tidal moisturizer 

And, for an example of my AM routine...

( My skin feels and looks great today. )

NUDE Jelly Cleanser

Josh Rosebrook Hydrating Accelerator

Vintner's Daughter

A bit of Leahlani Bless Balm on top of it.

That's it.

Tonight I dared to exfoliate... ( my skin hates exfoliation! )

Products I used ( many HGs here 😞

NUDE Jelly Cleanser

NUDE Fizzy Enzyme Powder ( my favorite exfoliant )

Consonant HydrExtreme Hydration Booster ( new addition and i'm already in so much love! )

NUDE Milk Serum

Odacite Oleosomes Time Release Delivery Crème mixed with

Odacite Cell Energy.

This is my usual exfoliation routine. Sometimes I use DDG Alpha Beta Peels instead of Fizzy ( and that's about it. Those two are what my skin agrees with the most. Plus some gentle acid toners. ). Last three products are my fav combo for after exfoliation ( I have a feeling Consonant will be, too ). They sooth and calm my skin, nourish it, and makes it glowy. I wake up to skin that looks so happy and pretty, Hubby usually asks if I have makeup on. Yeah, I rolled out of bed with my foundation on. 😄

My skin hates exfoliation too! Sometimes I'll use my Clarisonic Mia in the shower, but I only do this once a week/every other week or when I feel like it. Too much and my skin is like NAH GIRL.

HOWEVER have you ever tried Perricone MD's PRE-EMPT Pore Refiner? It's essentially an exfoliating toner but my skin is LOVING it (no beads! no crystals! no micro-anything to aggravate!). I highly suggest giving it a go - my jawline gets especially dry if I don't do anything so this has been a life saver!

@lyravega Have you tried the Dr Jart Micro Milk Peel?  It's super gentle and works in a minute or two. You apply it with the cotton pads provided (one side gentle/one side slightly rougher) or you can just use regular old cotton pads. I like the the convenience of it. Worth a look!

@jozkid I don't think I have. I'll check it out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Anonymous Insider

I have super dry skin that can sometimes be slightly combination and is very reactive to almost everything due to Rosacea. I love Tatcha's Indigo Face Cream it's amazing my dry skin seems to be going away and so is the redness and irritation. I also really like the rice enzyme powder I use this for my exfoliation since I have to be extra careful or my face can get strawberry red. I also have been using a sample of May Coop Raw Sauce as my second step for an added boost of hydration. 

@Anonymous Tatcha's Indigo Face Cream is indeed very nice. I have that rice enzyme powder sample for quite some time now, but still haven't tried it. I don't dare. My skin hates exfoliation so I have to be extra careful. But, it seems that one is a gentle one?

There are many products that I like and that all together make my skin happy, nourished, and healthy. I just wanted to mention real quick some "heavy duty", "quick" heroes ( oil edition ) of mine.

I usually have to layer products, like most of us do ( but, I don't like to layer xxx layers of stuff on my face. I try to keep it as simple as possible ). But, there are these products that I can just slap on after I cleanse ( and tone maybe ) when tired, in a hurry, or simply lazy, and call it a day. Or a night. 😉 They are:

SR Juno ( the only SR product I like. Actually - LOVE! ),

Leahlani Aloha Ambrosia Morning Moisture Elixir,

Leahlani Champagne Serum and

Leahlani Bless Balm ( That I like even more than my beloved Mahalo Rare Indigo. Shocker, I know. )

All these work beautifully on their own for my dry skin. Rich, nourishing, calming and soothing, and just glorious all around. My skin soaks them up right away, leaving this wonderful healthy glow behind.

Juno does it all for me. Nourishes, evens out my skin tone, tones down any redness, gives me nice healthy glow, and feels very soothing and comforting. They call it superfood for skin, and that's exactly how it feels to me. It's a richer oil. ( I love me rich oils. ) I also like to use this one as an "emergency" oil that calms and soothes minor irritations of my skin.

Leahlani Champagne serum is the one I reach for the most during the winter when my skin is the driest. This one is also a richer oil.

Leahlani Aloha Ambrosia is a bit lighter, yet very nourishing.

Bless Balm is an all around wonder for my skin.

There. I had to mention these. There are oils I like better than the Leahlani ones ( but I do like them a lot! I love all oils I have in my arsenal actually. Those that I don't like, I get rid of, return or give away. Or use for something else. ), but those are not enough on their own. Those need to be layered or mixed with other products. Here I just wanted to mention those that can fly solo.

Of course, for those who are still looking their way, these alone are not enough on regular day to day basis. You have to have a comprehensive skincare routine that includes many other products and address other concerns besides "just" nourishing, for your dry skin to be happy and healthy, and look its best. I just wanted to mention my "quick heroes" real quick ( made it pretty long, but whatever 😄 ) because I love them. Can you blame me?

It's about time I joined this thread!

I've got dry skin, but I've found a skincare routine that keeps it well moisturized. I mostly struggle with it during the harshest winter months and if I'm sick and constantly blowing my nose.

If/when my skin is dry and flakey, I slather on Biotherm's Aquasource Dry Skin Rich Cream before going to bed (usually I only need to do it once or twice a week). I bought it on a whim a while ago and it's been extremely effective at getting rid of dry patches.

Regular/daily routine:

• Cleanse with Neutrogena's Ultra Gentle Daily Cleanser (I double cleanse at night when removing makeup, first with my fingers, then with the Foreo Luna mini 2)
  • Peter Thomas Roth's Glycolic Acid 10% Moisturizer
  • Tarte's Tarteguard 30 sunscreen lotion
  • (At night) Peter Thomas Roth's Retinol Fusion PM
  • (Once or twice a week) exfoliate with Biotherm's Daily Exfoliating Cleansing Melting Gel

This stuff has worked wonders for me. For a while I really struggled to find a good balance. Products were either too rich/heavy and didn't absorb fully into my skin (leaving me feeling greasy), or they wouldn't provide enough moisture and the dry patches never disappeared. I finally feel like I've found a system that works for me. 🙂

I've been really enjoying the It Cosmetics Bye Bye Makeup Cleansing Balm for night. It's in a semi solid cream but when I apply it to my dry skin it transforms into a oil that cleanses very thing. I can use it on my eyes without having to rub to hard and my waterproof mascara melts right off. It's just so lovely. Then I second cleans with a gentle non foaming cleanser since I'm prone to breakouts. My skin feels nice and plump and clean but never tight or dry. In the a.m. I'll only use micellar water.

Clinique also has a cleansing balm oil that and is less expensive but I've broken out with other products from that brand so I spend a bit more for that reason. But if you don't have that issue you could give that one a go. I just can't rave enough about the It Cosmetics cleaning balm though. It's a must try for dry skin.

Hi everyone- first time poster her. Love this thread.

i have dry skin - this is what has saved me this past winter. 

• Double cleanse with oil balms or cream cleansers - the new Farmacy balm, Pai cleanser and Korres yoghurt cleanser are current favorites 
  • exfoliate a few times a week -mostly with AmorePacific enzyme peel or a Good Genes
  • use a moisture layer - hyaluronic serum from Pestle and Mortar or The Ordinary; Essence from SKII, or Blithe - I usually layer these on using the 7 skin method except not quite 7 times. It leaves my skin feeling very plump. 
  • Serum - currently DE C Firma
  • Moisturizer - variety of samples or DE Lala Cream

for the first time in years, I haven't had dry patches. 

Hi @beautysister ! Welcome! 🙂

Dry patches are the worst! I am happy to hear your skincare routine works so nicely for you.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

HOLY GRAIL PRODUCTS + ROUTINE FOR DRY/COMBINATION SKIN!

I have combination skin so I'll wake up super oily one day, and have super flaky skin the next! Something I love to use to keep the flakes in check are a few Boscia products! I use the Boscia exfoliating peel gel a couple times a week and immediately after using that, I use and exfoliating powder by Dermalogica called the Daily Microfolant. With the Boscia product, you see the difference and can visibly see the dead skin being scrubbed off your face! Very very satisfying! The Dermalogica product just helps to get rid of all the dead skin bits that the peel gel left behind. To finish off, I use the Boscia hydrating sleep mask and let that dry for a while before applying my moisturizer. (I use the Korres greek yoghurt moisturizer very lightweight and good hydration!) Another tip: every morning before applying my makeup (because who doesn't hate flaky skin to make your makeup that much cakier and more visible) I splash my face with water, pump two pumps of the Boscia Splash Mask into my hand, rub that all over my face and let it dry and sink into my skin before applying my Korres moisturizer again and then primer to begin my makeup. Hope my skin care routine helps! This routine saved my life all winter when my skin was super dry, and as summer quickly approaches and I tend to get oilier, I have found this routine still works and doesn't make my skin oilier or clog my pores! 

Cross posting ( copy paste-ing ) because - dry skin.

I am testing Consonant HydrExtreme today. First impression... Wow this watery thing is hydrating! It's super light weight ( for whatever reason I did not expect it to be that light ), yet it gives immediate and serious boost of hydration. After my skin soaks it up ( which is seconds ), it feels like absolutely nothing on my skin. But my skin looks and feels so much better, healthier, smooth and hydrated.

I've tried to wear it solo as long as possible just for the science and the sake of testing it, to see if it'll react negatively in any way with my skin... But, I had to follow with an oil real soon as even though it is hydrating, it is not nearly enough on its own. Not for my skin anyway. The product is not intended to be used alone anyway as it is ultra light serum that should be followed with the rest of whatever you use. But, I've heard some people wear it on its own ( they all have oily skin, though. ).

No immediate negative reactions. Yay! Hopefully no negative reactions at all as I am really liking this product ( so far ). But, we'll see...

110 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos3
  • upload_2505217092246032622.jpg
  • upload_4627651336397585252.png
  • upload_3045113384917992822.jpg
testing