cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Dry Skin
|

Dry Eyelids/Eye area & Damaged Moisture Barrier

Hi everyone 🙂 It's been awhile.

Posting to see if you suffer from sensitive/dehydrated/dry skin around the eye area, what do you use to heal it? I need more than your typical eye cream.

I'm fairly certain that Drunk Elephant's C-Tango eye cream wrecked my eyelids and undereye area - after using a few days, my eyes started to become flaky, red, irritated - like I had pink eyeshadow on. This was the only thing I changed about my routine, and the area of irritation basically is in the same shape as how I applied this eye cream - that's how I know DE was the culprit. I've never had eye area issues before using this product.

This was at the beginning of February and my eyelids are now getting irritated by almost ANYTHING I wear that I've been wearing for years - my eyeshadow primer irritates it, and even some moisturizing creams irritate it (or at least is not enough to heal the dry red patch). I'm fairly certain the DE product destroyed the skin's moisture barrier which is why I'm still having these flare ups frequently. I've discontinued the use of C-Tango since beginning of February and am avoiding eye makeup wherever possible. Even my daily concealer has been giving me dry issues. 

What product do you swear by to treat/repair the moisture barrier in your eye area? I'm trying a 95%+ aloe gel (with no visible irritants on the ingredient list) and the CeraVe Moisturizing cream and they seem to be helping, but I really want to have this repaired so I can go back to normal and wear eyeshadow again. :'(

Re: Dry Eyelids/Eye area & Damaged Moisture Barrier

@k617 ,

This Thread was just what I needed to read today!  Thanks to everyone for posting!

Dry eyelids are the worst!!! I have ezcema and some times they get so dry to the point that I have a inflammation. I recommend that you see a dermatologist since the eye area is very sensitive, if you have sensitive skin and end up with the wrong product you might get a burn (talking from experience). For me using oils helped a lot. I mostly used the Josie argan oil before I went to bed. Hope it helps!!

@k617 wrote:

Posting to see if you suffer from sensitive/dehydrated/dry skin around the eye area, what do you use to heal it? I need more than your typical eye cream.

I'm fairly certain that Drunk Elephant's C-Tango eye cream wrecked my eyelids and undereye area - after using a few days, my eyes started to become flaky, red, irritated - like I had pink eyeshadow on. This was the only thing I changed about my routine, and the area of irritation basically is in the same shape as how I applied this eye cream - that's how I know DE was the culprit. I've never had eye area issues before using this product.

This was at the beginning of February and my eyelids are now getting irritated by almost ANYTHING I wear that I've been wearing for years - my eyeshadow primer irritates it, and even some moisturizing creams irritate it (or at least is not enough to heal the dry red patch). I'm fairly certain the DE product destroyed the skin's moisture barrier which is why I'm still having these flare ups frequently. I've discontinued the use of C-Tango since beginning of February and am avoiding eye makeup wherever possible. Even my daily concealer has been giving me dry issues. 

What product do you swear by to treat/repair the moisture barrier in your eye area? I'm trying a 95%+ aloe gel (with no visible irritants on the ingredient list) and the CeraVe Moisturizing cream and they seem to be helping, but I really want to have this repaired so I can go back to normal and wear eyeshadow again. :'(

@k617 wrote:

Hi @Luly2404 

sorry for my late response and thank you for the suggestion. Seeing a dermatologist is a challenge in Canada. Requires a doctor’s referral! I do have a prescription from my doc for a cream safe for use around the eye area though and for now I’m going to avoid eyeshadows until this gets worked out!

Glad to hear you're doing better @k617 ! hopefully you get fully recovered soon and can  go back to playing with eyeshadow!

Hi everyone! 

Just want to circle back with an update...

I did not end up trying any of your lovely suggestions, though I'd intended to, but I wanted to try the oil route first. After cleansing my face, I usually put on all the water-based toners/essences, then serums, and oils...but to combat the dryness and prevent the stinging sensation, I religiously applied face oil only (Fresh's Seaberry Oil) around my eye area, before I applied anything else. And nothing in the eye area except oils. 

Slowly with time this did improve immensely. It did flare up once but not as badly and it wasn't swollen. 

It seems to be all healed now, but I still went to my doctor's appointment. He gave me prescription strength antihistamines in case it was due to an allergy (he doesn't think it's due to an infection) as well as an expensive prescription topical that is safe to use around the eyes in case it comes back...

I am still taking it easy on my eye area and slowly building the courage to wear eyeshadow again... just starting simple, one shade over primer only. I'm on day two and so far so good, no reaction...

Here's hoping if it was indeed a reaction to something (environmental or food, he thinks, since both cases were trigged by me traveling) or if my moisture barrier was damaged, it's all in the past. It was not fun while it lasted!

Thanks again for all of your suggestions!!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions Heart 

Either I all of a sudden developed a sensitivity to a product in my routine or my eyeshadow/primer - I haven't used anything harsh on it and have avoided putting AHA/BHA on my lids/around my eyes since the rash wouldn't go away just in case that further irritated it. So, I'm still thinking the DE product wrecked my skin.

Products that normally don't and shouldn't sting (even aloe gel!) stings the tender area - that's why I think my moisture barrier is damaged. 

I'll keep all of your suggestions in mind and might try the Clinique repair oil right away @greeneyedgirl107 since I've been eyeing that product for other reasons... but I have also made an appointment with my doctor in a couple of weeks to get it checked out. I've been plagued with a cold that won't go away so that might also be a contributor. Funny how my most recent flare up coincided with returning home to the extremely dry area after a week in the tropics. 

@k617 for some odd reason I had a similar experience with my eye area this past winter. I found that using Belif's moisturizing eye bomb helped GREATLY when even Kiehl's avocado eye cream did nothing for me. I also use chamomile oil on my brow bone and that helped out a lot with dryness I had going on as well. I'm not going to suggest doing this, but I put on a moisturizer on my brow bone first then the oil to seal it all in. I *think* mine might be from using makeup remover and then cleansing my skin afterwards as I don't feel 100% clean after just using the removing balm (Clinique TTDO). Good luck!

BELIF - Moisturizing Eye Bomb

@k617  Hopefully your doc will prescribe something that helps. Meanwhile, I second the oil recommendation, though you may want to make sure it contains no vitamin C (or contains a less potent type of it).

A different non-vitamin C DE product tore up my lids this month. I used e.l.f. Nourishing Facial Oil to reverse the extremely dry flaking on my lids, and Vaseline to heal the raw red sores below my brows. I also have a doc appt to ensure no permanent damage was done to my lids. Wishing you best of luck with yours!

@k617 Best wishes!  Let us know how it turns out!   🙂

@k617  so sorry to hear! I really like using Kiehl's Since 1851 Mini Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado 0.5 oz/ 14 g

its saved my dry eye lids and under eyes. 

@k617 Like the others, I had something similar happen after repeatedly using makeup remover wipes. I was quite flakey, too and could not stand to wear eye makeup anymore. I actually saw an ophthalmologist that prescribed something for me to heal my lids. I would be very careful using too many different products around your eyes. For me, it just made things worst until I caved in to see the doctor.  

nice to see you back @k617 even if it's for a bad reason! I did not have good luck with that DE eye cream either - it really irritated my eyes 

I gave myself a bit of an over exfoliated patch on my face with one of the new retinols and REN Clean Skincare Evercalm™ Overnight Recovery Balm 1.02 oz/ 30 mLreally helped bring moisture back to my face. I didn't use it on my eyes but the directions don't say anything about avoiding the eye area- maybe it's something you could test patch?

@k617 When I get really dry around my eyes, I use CLINIQUE - Clinique Smart Treatment Oil

a little bit goes a VERY long way.  Good luck!

Try a product with lanolin (or just straight up lanolin).  It may be a little tacky and smell kind of weird but I haven't found anything better for correcting dry patches.  I use it on lips eyelids or random dry patches that i get on my cheeks sometimes.

I've had this happen in the past @k617 .  Not from this specific product.  I remember trying to use a chap stick lip balm at one point just to help give a bit of relief.  Now if I get that super dry feeling at all I use the Drunk Elephant Lippe Balm on my eye area.  I've never had a reaction from it and it's saved me from some crazy dry eyelids at one point to become my go to. It's billed as a Lip & Eye Balm and I find that it gives that same idea of a barrier as I got with the chap stick. The DE formula is clearly better for my skin since it's meant to go on the eye area than a chap stick.  You may want to spot test this though if you go with the DE since the Lippe balm may contain some of the same ingredients as the eye cream.  If you're not comfortable with using a DE product, I'd search out another eye balm.  

Good luck!

Drunk Elephant Lippe Balm 0.13 oz/ 3.8 g

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 74 Hearts Given
  • 12 Contributors
testing