Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Dry Skin
|

DRY SKIN TALK

I think it's about time we have a place for people with dry skin to talk their dry skin, share, discuss, help each other with their skincare routines, problems, goals.... Skincare. Life style changes. Anything. As much as we can. We don't have to be experts to help each other out. Maybe our experiences combined and put together can produce something helpful and beautiful for every fellow dry skin person that might seek help, word of advice, or simply a "safe haven".

Of course, you don't have to have dry skin to join us. Anyone with some wisdom willing to share is welcomed here!

upload_2505217092246032622.jpg

Re: Dry Skin Talk

"I definitely will @lyravega! Since I am almost out of my SR Juno, may I ask you another question? What is your favorite face oil?"

Ay, @blueviolet21 , that's like asking who's your favorite child! 😄 I definitely like Juno quite a lot. I like to have it at hand always. It is really a wonderful one for dry skin. But, ok, let's play this game... Right now I'd say my favorite facial oils are Odacite Winter In Paris and Vintner's Daughter. They are pricey, but well worth it to me personally.

If NUDE comes back, their ProGenius Treatment Oil is fantastic, and plays beautifully with the Milk Serum. It's one of my long time favs, but I usually don't mention it because it's gone. I also like their Rescue Oil.

Aw, thank you so much @lyravega! I will definitely check out the Odacite and the Vintner's Daughter. That's a bummer about NUDE being gone though.

Thank you for answering my questions! 🙂

Aww, you're welcome @blueviolet21 ! BICers indeed are a wonderful bunch of people. I am glad you are liking it here.

I hope you will love that serum as much as I do. Good luck! And, keep us posted!

I definitely will @lyravega! Since I am almost out of my SR Juno, may I ask you another question? What is your favorite face oil?

What helped me to get and keep my dry, and often dehydrated, skin under control:

1. Non foaming, gentle, non drying/stripping cleansers. They make a world of difference! Oil/balm/cream cleansers are the way to go.
  2. Truly hydrating toners can be great dry skin's lil helpers.
  3. Chemical exfoliation ( AHAs, BHA, enzymes ). Chemical exfoliants in a form of pads, toners, powders, masks, serums/treatments... whatever works best for you/whatever your skin can take. My skin hates exfoliants and exfoliation in general, especially the mechanical/physical ones. It took quite a trial and error, but at the end I found a few chemical ones that work nicely for me. They do wonders for those stubborn dry patches and flaking ( among many other things ). You are gonna need to do some testing and see what works the best in your case, and how many times a week you can use it for the best results. 2-3 times a week is "ideal". Just be careful not to over-exfoliate! But - exfoliate! It's a very important step in keeping your skin happy!
  4. No physical/mechanical scrubs. Or, any kind of physical scrubbing ( washcloth included ). It aggravates my skin to no end.
  5. Water based hydrating serum. If I don't use a water based serum ( toner/essence/whatever ) to boost my skin's water levels, and only use my oils and balms, my skin gets dehydrated and parched in no time. When I use both, my skin is happy and healthy. More about it in #6.
  6. Oils and balms. They are godsend for my skin! But, I'd suggest not to rely on oils as your sole form of "moisture" for the skin. This is often a recipe for disaster. To help dry skin and deal with dehydration, we need a skin care regimen that performs two different functions: adding moisture, and preventing moisture loss ( while adding nutrients ). Water based serums add moisture/hydration, and it is very important for dry skin to add this step into skincare routine. And then oils on top to lock that moisture in and nourish ( deliver necessary nutrients ). A balance between oil-based and water-based products in your regimen is essential. It will help you achieve better moisture balance.
  7. Mixing a few drops of oil with my moisturizer.
  8. A good moisturizer alone, without these other important steps in your skincare routine, is never enough on its own to keep that dry skin under control and happy!

Great summary @lyravega! I am curious what your favorite hydrating serum is. I've been using the FAB one but I wonder if there's a better one out there. I agree with you about not relying on oils alone...they help a lot but if I use them alone, my skin gets dehydrated.

@blueviolet21 My favorite hydrating serum is the NUDE Milk Serum. I love that stuff to pieces! It does all the wonderful things for my skin: hydrates so beautifully, evens out and brightens my skin tone, plumps my skin, soothes and calms... It really is a "nutrient packed smoothie for your skin". I don't know what I'll do if NUDE doesn't come back. It's my HG hydrating serum. I keep searching for the next best thing, but nothing has come even close to this one. There's still some available on Sephora, but for how long?

http://www.sephora.com/progenius-omega-treatment-milk-P392866?skuId=1684471&icid2=products grid:p392866

The other one I like is Consonant HydrExtreme. It is quite different than the Milk Serum, so I don't compare them. It has watery texture and it's very light, like nothing on your skin, yet it packs a serious punch of hydration. It's a really wonderful thing for dry skin. It'll combat any dryness or flaking with ease. It's costly, and I think only available in Canada. But if you can get it, it is well worth it ( and a bottle will last you forever ). In US, Costco had it for a while, but I don't see it there anymore.

Great tips @lyravega!  I'm just the opposite when it comes to exfoliation though. Not a fan of chemicals and prefer scrubs. I need to find the right ones of course but I seem to react better to them.  Oh and I had a small sample of The Body Deli's Rose Geranium Cleanser... pretty good!  Of course it would take a lot to knock out my HG but definitely a good one to try. I'm kinda falling back in love with their skin care line... not done trying others yet but please with the small samples I got.

@lyravega  yeah when I am done my millions of samples I think I will go back to that brand and have another look. I use their body line already and love it!

Thanks, @veronika23 ! I remember looking into that brand, but too many facial stuff I was looking into contained coconut oil which my face hates. But, I will have to take a peek to see what else they have...

I have a question for people who have eczema/dermatitis-- what worked for it, how do you deal with it, etc.? I think I have some of it on my eyelids at the moment besides my hands and arms where I always have it. At least I'm not sure what else it would be. I felt like I had gotten the rest of my skincare sorted but I don't really do much as far as eye creams etc. 

@blueviolet21 For eczema on arms and legs, I haven't found anything more effective than prescription ointment. However, for eyelid eczema, I'm wary about using my prescription ointment since it can cause cataracts, so I go a more natural route. A trick I picked up here is using the Bite Beauty Agave Lip Mask. It's weird, but it works after a couple of weeks of use--although, keep in mind that it can cause allergic reactions in some people (lanolin, I think, is the culprit), so do a spot test first if you haven't tried the product. Also, I don't wear eye makeup other than mascara when my eyelid eczema is acting up.

That helps a ton @txcatx. I have a derm appointment coming up soon so I can ask him for the prescription then. I have had that in the past but it hadn't been bad enough lately to need it again. Oh wells. Who knows why these things come and go. That is a great idea about the Bite Agave Lip Mask on eyelids. I have that and will definitely try it. Thank you again!

@lyravegayour thread is up! 🙂

@veronika23  Yay! Getting there! 😉

It's taken me quite awhile to finally treat my skin the way it needs to be treated. I struggled so much trying to figure out which moisturizers work best, and I realized that my skin truly does change with the seasons. It's irritating, BUT I DID find a couple products that work for me all year long so I thought I'd share 🙂

• IT Cosmetics Confidence in a Cream - this has become my HG moisturizer for all seasons. It moisturizes enough for winter and isn't too much for summer - didn't think that was possible!
  • DIOR Hydra Life Extra-Plump Mask - holy balls guys. This is a new one for me, but it is the bees knees. I use it every other day now and it's so so good. Depending on whether or not I have activities during the day or at night is what time I choose to apply it. I don't rinse it off - I use it as instructed and after the ONLY 3 MINUTES you have to leave it on for I just wipe off excess with a cotton pad and leave whatever's left as my moisturizer for that time. 

Anyone else have luck with these products?

Since it's gotten super hot here and applying moisturizer before my foundation will make me look like a layer cake I've found a HG in the Ordinary's hyaluronic acid 2% and B5. This layered with son and park beauty water (put on first), my SPF (after the hyaluronic acid so step 3), and the silicone primer made by the ordinary as well (picked up on a lark) works wonderfully. No dry patches or moving foundation/powders. Also sinks beautifully into the skin as I have an issue with absorbing product.

I've dealt with dry skin for as long as I can remember but I've been experiencing a brand new problem since the season changed.  Basically, it seems like my skin is so dehydrated it's absorbing any sort of base to my foundation and just leaving the pigment on top of my skin?

I was wondering if you ladies had any tips to help combat this!

@sierrafallon Is onto something.... What is your skincare routine? If your skin is really dry and dehydrated think about how to add water and oil to a routine. Toning waters, especially k-beauty (Korean beauty) ones are good for adding water. Try a hydrating mist- rose water is very hydrating. Also incorporate oil into your routine. Ones with jojoba, almond or rosehip or neroli are very hydrating.  After a couple weeks you'll see a difference. In the interim you can try a hydrating primer and hydrating setting spray to preserve your foundation. 

SO happy to see this thread here on BT now. 🙂

I feel like I'm still learning how to deal with my dry skin, so I'm definitely no expert or anything and I'm looking forward to getting some advice from y'all. 🙂

The one product that I have found that I absolutely love and adore is the Ahava Dead Sea Crystal Osmoter X6 Facial Serum.  I'm unsure if you can get at Sephora or not, but I usually purchase at Ulta.  (I do most of my shopping there.)

That serum is LIFE CHANGING, atleast for me.  It doesn't make me break out and instantly makes a huge difference to my skin.  It gets rid of my dry flaky areas without making me feel greasy and the smell isn't overwhelming or unpleasant.  I just looooveee it.  I just wish it wasn't soo pricey, but IMO it's worth it.

Thanks for sharing, @CaityLaine !

110 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos3
  • upload_2505217092246032622.jpg
  • upload_4627651336397585252.png
  • upload_3045113384917992822.jpg
testing