Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Dry Skin
|

Covid Mask and dry skin

I wear a mask on and off throughout the day, and everytime I remove it my skin feels more and more dry. What can I do to get moisture back throughout the day? I currently am using a Mario Badescu face mist and it's just not cutting it.  Any recommendations?

Thanks!

RE: Covid Mask and dry skin

I definitely can relate to this! 😭 I need a good moisturising mist as well! I take off my mask and half buttom of my face is peeling! Ugh! 😩

Re: Covid Mask and dry skin

@danhell a lot of Mario Badescu products have witch hazel which can be really drying for some folk - if you check the product and that is in there it might actually be doing more damage then good.

You might also just want to change up your moisturizer to something more hydrating and occlusive - layering a lot of ingredients under a mask can also result in breakouts so its sort of a balancing act of fighting dryness but not creating a breeding ground for bacteria due to too much moisture and oiliness.

What type of mask do you use? I've actually had the opposite experience with face masks, too much moisture and activity on my face leading to maskne. 

I've stopped using pretty much all of them because of the change in my skin due to personal face masks, but some of my tried and true, fave hydrating products are:

Dior Hydra Life Deep Hydration Sorbet Water Essence 1.3 oz/ 40 mL 

LANEIGE Water Sleeping Mask

Murad Hydro-Dynamic® Ultimate Moisture 

Origins made a great 10 minute moisturizing mask but I believe they have reformulated it to this one which I haven't tried:

Origins Drink Up™ Intensive Overnight Hydrating Face Mask with Avocado & Swiss Glacier Water 2.5 oz/ 75 mL 

I've included my maskne advice here Maskne Advice 

@danhell 

I’ve found these products have really helped me a lot:

DR. DENNIS GROSS SKINCARE - Stress Rescue Super Serum with Niacinamide I apply this to clean, dry skin - it helps prevent mask break out

JOSIE MARAN - Pure Argan Milk™ Intensive Hydrating Treatment I apply on top of the above product, it prevents dryness. 

I do take my mask off several times a day, just to get some fresh air. Hope this helps. 

I used to have to wear a face mask/respirator a lot for my old job, so here are some things I'd recommend to help with the fallout of that, @danhell.

For before:

Consider adding more layer of hydration and protection, including a HA serum, moisturizer and face oil. You might also want to consider a salve as well. Let it all absorb before putting on your mask.

Throughout the day:

Consider switching to the Dr. Jart+ Cicapair™ Tiger Grass Calming Mist 1.69 oz/ 50 mL or Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Ultra-Fine Mist 2.53 oz/ 75 mL

For after:

Calming masks: Origins Original Skin™ Retexturizing Mask with Rose Clay 2.5 oz/ 75 mL, FIRST AID BEAUTY - FAB Pharma Arnica Relief & Rescue Mask, REN Clean Skincare Evercalm™ Ultra Comforting Rescue Mask 1.7 oz/ 50 mL

Spot treatment: Maybe try the Blume Meltdown or whatever one is your fave. There's a lot of options.

Skin repair: Anything with ceramides, like the DR. JART+ - Ceramidin™ Cream

Redness reduction: something with blue tansy, CBD or Cica would help. I like a bit of the Herbivore Lapis Blue Tansy Face Oil - For Oily & Acne-Prone Skin 1.7 oz/ 50 mL which comes in a trial set with a mask or the DR. JART+ - Cicapair™ Tiger Grass Calming Gel Cream or anything from the Cica line

Good luck!

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing