Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Dry Skin

Can't get rid of flaky skin?

I have oily skin, but because I am using Proactiv, my skin gets very dry and flaky throughout the day. Does anyone have any tips or any good moisturizers that helps with this? 

Accepted Solutions

I don't know what price range you want to stay in, but Ce...

I don't know what price range you want to stay in, but Cetaphil has really good moisturizers for dry skin.  I have really sensitive acne-prone skin.  It's also oily, but because I use acne treatments, it's also dry.  Awesome eh?  I use the Cetaphil cream that doesn't have any parabens or irritants in it.  I also use Kate Somerville's Oil-Free Moisturizer, but in the winter I have to use both. This may sound weird, but in the morning when applying my cream, I put some on a cotton pad, and dab it on the really dry spots of my face.  I leave it sitting on my skin in little clumps for a few minutes, then I go back and pat it into my skin.  I find that this works really well for me, and it keeps my face moisturized for the whole day. 

I hope this helps Smiley Happy

All Replies

I don't know what price range you want to stay in, but Ce...

I don't know what price range you want to stay in, but Cetaphil has really good moisturizers for dry skin.  I have really sensitive acne-prone skin.  It's also oily, but because I use acne treatments, it's also dry.  Awesome eh?  I use the Cetaphil cream that doesn't have any parabens or irritants in it.  I also use Kate Somerville's Oil-Free Moisturizer, but in the winter I have to use both. This may sound weird, but in the morning when applying my cream, I put some on a cotton pad, and dab it on the really dry spots of my face.  I leave it sitting on my skin in little clumps for a few minutes, then I go back and pat it into my skin.  I find that this works really well for me, and it keeps my face moisturized for the whole day. 

I hope this helps Smiley Happy

Before using a good moisturizer, make sure you're exfolia...

Before using a good moisturizer, make sure you're exfoliating all of the dead, flaky skin first.  (Otherwise you're just moisturizing dead skin and the best moisturizer in the world won't make it better!) 

I like Clinique's 7 Day Scrub Cream -

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P122661&categoryId=B70

Start out by using it just a few times a week and see how your skin reacts.  Then you can increase or decrease usage depending on your skins needs.

Cetaphil is a good recommendation for a moisturizer.  It almost certainly will not cause irritation or breakouts of any kind.  You could also try Korres Yoghurt Cream or Clinique Dramatically Different Gel if you'd prefer Sephora brands.

The same thing happens to me every winter.  I use Elizabe...

The same thing happens to me every winter.  I use Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream skin protectant.  (Don't know if Sephora sells it or not, I get it at their (EA) website or sometimes can find it at TJ Maxx).  I have very sensitive skin and this never causes any irritation.  It's the only thing that works for me.  It's not super pricey, it's around $10.  I always order 2 so I never run out.  I've recommended this to several friends and everyone loves it.  Hope this helps. 

I second what kalex said about exfoliating. Get rid of th...

I second what kalex said about exfoliating. Get rid of the dead skin and then use one of the fabulous moisturizers the other posters recommended. When you exfoliate, make sure you use an exfoliant that is gentle. Exfoliants with jojoba beads are fantastic because they exfoliate without tearing your skin, and the jojoba beads actually help to moisturize as well, without being heavy or greasy in any way.

Drugstore brand exfoliator: Neutrogena NAturals Pore Purifying scrub ( gentle enough for everyday use) $.7.99

Ren Jojoba Microbead Purifying Face Scrub $35

You can find it here:

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P174624&categoryId=B70

Good luck!

I and my daughter share your flakey skin issue. This past...

I and my daughter share your flakey skin issue. This past x-mas I bought her a Clarisonic and it combined with costant use of a good moisturizer (under make-up and on a clean face every night) has been the only thing that has worked. I tried to use the Clarisonic and gave up after 4 days because it made my rosacea worse, but it really has done wonders for her dry spots.

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors