Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Dry Skin
|

Black and Dry Skinned

As it goes without saying, dry skin on white peoples and dry skin on black people requires different intensity since darker skin (at least in my experience) requires heavier and hydrating ingredients (oil ingredients are welcome).  

I’m looking for something that fits that category without it being crazy expensive, but absolutely worth the price. I want a face cream that can hydrate me all day (7+ hours at least) without the need for reapplication.

Thanks for reading and I hope you can help 🙂

Re: Black and Dry Skinned

@NafixMUnah  What's your current skincare routine (brands + product names)? You might need to apply a hydrating product—something that contains humectants—before applying any moisturizer, and/or one of your current products might be drying out your skin. Do you use any hydrating products before your current face cream? 

Without knowing what you currently use, here are some inexpensive hydrating options (apply any of these to damp skin):

• Good Molecules Hyaluronic Boosting Essence - I'm currently testing it on my own mostly-dry combo skin and it's helping my face survive Chicago winter weather. 
  • The Ordinary Buffet Anti-Aging Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL - my favorite hydrating serum, especially during the winter. 
  • The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil 1 oz/ 30 mL - a good emollient that also has some hydrating and moisturizing properties, though it's not very occlusive. Apply under your moisturizer, or you can try mixing it into your moisturizer if you want. 
  • Any petrolatum-based balm: Aquaphor Ointment, CeraVe Healing Ointment, Vaseline, etc. - use as a face cream. When I'm outdoors in very frigid windy weather, I apply a layer of CeraVe Healing Ointment or Aquaphor Ointment to my entire face to protect my skin from windburn and chapping. Petrolatum is the most occlusive skincare ingredient available. Just make sure to apply it to damp skin so you'll seal in hydration instead of dryness. You can even apply a layer of one of these balms over another face cream if you want. 

Also: I don't think different dry skin tones require different intensities of moisturization and hydration. Any skin color can be extremely dry, and plenty of people with deep skin tones don't have dry skin. Brown skin might appear drier than lighter skin because dry patches can be more visible on brown skin (due to color contrast). But that doesn't mean brown skin is generally drier. 

Re: Black and Dry Skinned

@NafixMUnah People swear by the Cerave Moisturizing Cream and it's very affordable. Looking at the ingredients, the Naturally Serious After-Dark Natural Peptide Sleeping Cream 1.7 oz/ 50 mL seems to be a good choice, as well. From my experience, the best way to deal with dry skin is layers- using a hydrating toner underneath (I've used the LANEIGE Cream Skin Toner & Moisturizer 5.0 oz/ 150 mL for a while but many others work as well, just avoid alcohol) coupled with hydrating serum and then cream, keeps skin more moisturized than just using moisturizer. You can also add oils like jojoba or rosehip to your moisturizer to make them richer, which I do at night when needed. Hope this helps!

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing