Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Deeper Shades
|

Which Black-owned beauty and wellness brands do you want to see at Sephora? [Updated 1/6/23]

06.19.20_We're taking the 15% Pledge.png

[[UPDATE 1/6/23: Please join us in welcoming a another new-to-Sephora Black-Owned Brand, Ami Colé! Founder Diarrha N’Diaye sought to fill a gap in the makeup space by creating complexion products suited for melanin-rich skin. Created with this in mind, Ami Colé products celebrate deeper skin tones and are good for your skin with nourishing ingredients that are Clean at Sephora. Shout out to @NatashaTendai@Nenepink@meghan504@TamaraJMorris@JleeWins@ZooLife@YANZTHEFIRST@tjm1992, and @Kiatch, who had all mentioned the brand previously in this thread! Learn more about the brand and browse the products on our Black-Owned-Beauty Guide, and read the latest updates on the steps Sephora is taking to champion diversity and inclusion beyond the 15 Percent Pledge: https://www.inside-sephora.com/en/usa/diversity-equity-inclusion]]

We recognize how important it is to represent Black businesses and communities, and we must do better. 

You may have seen in Summer 2020 that Sephora partnered with designer Aurora James to take the 15% Pledge. The 15% Pledge is James’ nonprofit calling on retailers (like Sephora) to dedicate 15% of shelf space to Black-owned brands. Why 15%? As explained on the 15% Pledge website, “Black people in the U.S. make up nearly 15% of the population. So, we are calling on major retailers to commit a minimum of 15% of their shelf to Black-owned businesses.” We are so excited to be the first retailer to take the pledge and are looking forward to seeing others join us in the 15% Pledge. Next, we want to hear from you!*

Which Black-owned beauty and wellness brands do you want to see at Sephora? Be sure to let us know your favorite product(s), what makes this brand unique, etc. 

Thank you in advance for your guidance and support. We look forward to learning from you!

*We will not be able to guarantee these brands join our Sephora brand roster, but we value your expertise as individual beauty lovers who shop outside of Sephora and our brands. Black-owned brands interested in partnering with Sephora can apply through RangeMe.

RE: Which Black-owned beauty and wellness brands do you want to see at Sephora?

Bolden.

Re: Which Black-owned beauty and wellness brands do you want to see at Sephora?

Beauty bakerie and Juvia's Place!

RE: Re: Which Black-owned beauty and wellness brands do you want to see at Sephora?

I second that!

I think it would be great to reach out to various black hairstylists and makeup artists - I guess celebrity but either way-  and get their thoughts

Colored Raine

Colored raine; uoma; Juvias place; beauty bakerie; laws of nature cosmetics

Colored Raine is so good 

Anonymous Insider

Danessa Myricks, Mented.

I would also like for Sephora to look at black hair lines that they carry. When it comes to hair care, I don’t think of Sephora carrying products that I need to care for my hair. I see that Mizani is now available. I don’t want a product that can be used on black hair but a product for black hair.

I would love to see Beauty Bakerie, Uoma Beauty, and Coloured Raine. I would also like to see sunscreen and haircare brands like Pattern, brought to Sephora. While I am not black, I constantly see black people requesting sunscreen options that are not ashy or leave a white cast on their skin and hair care geared for their hair type. It shouldn’t be a hunt to find products that work for them. Additionally, I feel as though Sephora should require existing non-black owned makeup brands to have sufficient shade options in complexion products otherwise, do not sell that item. Too often are shade ranges lacking when it comes to the deep end of the spectrum or left out entirely. With brands like Fenty showing it can be done and it will sell, there shouldn’t really be any excuses. If Sephora truly stands for inclusivity, all brands they carry should be inclusive too. As a Canadian brand there are many black owned brands that are not readily available to us and Sephora can bridge that gap to bringing them to more consumers

9F845758-CEE0-403F-B040-762E150A945C.png

Why is this racist review on your site?

Uoma Beauty and Juvia's Place!

Which Black-owned beauty and wellness brands do you want to see at Sephora?

... I'll post a few that I can think of off the top of my head but, first, I have to be honest. I'm a bit frustrated with this question.// This question was asked before and nothing came from it. While I understand we all have to start somewhere, I feel like it should have BEEN done. It should have been eye opening when Fenty made the huge bang it did. It should have been eye opening when there had to be a group called Deeper Shades. It should have long been addressed when folks couldn't find themselves even though they had the means; i.e., Jackie Aina, Claudiane Phillip, Nyma Tang, Tiffany Owens, Alissa Ashley, etc. // "African-Americans spend $1.2 trillion each year, and that number is projected to rise to $1.5 trillion by 2021. In 2018 the Black hair care industry raked in an estimated $2.51 billion, as Black consumers have progressively made the switch from general products to those that specifically cater to them. In 2017 African-Americans captured 86 percent of the ethnic beauty market, accounting for $54 million of the $63 million spent, Nielsen reported. In 2017 we also spent $127 million on grooming aids and $465 million on skin care." (T.E Holmes; Essence; Feature: The Industry That Black Women Built; Oct. 2019)// Mind you, I, still, can't walk into a Sephora in Korea and find myself. They JUST put Fenty on the shelves on June 10th, 2020 when most of us are banned from going to the location due to COVID restrictions. So, when they don't sell deeper colors, will we have representation or will that be excuse enough? I can't even tell you if they have more shades now. And I mentioned this and tagged Sephora and SephoraKR months ago. And when will skincare and haircare options for Black and POC expand?// I'm frustrated by this question. I'm very frustrated because it's ringing hollow this far into it.// If you've made it this far, here are some products I love and use because of their quality, prices, and how they work on my complexion, skin, and hair: Coloured Raine / Uoma Cosmetics / Beauty Bakerie / Mented Cosmetics / Lip Bar / Sugar Shak / Ayele & Co. / Base Butter / Blk + Grn / Black Girl Sunscreen/ Naturalicious / Urban Hydration / Yadain Cultural Solutions, LLC / Melanin Haircare / Mielle / As I Am // I hope someone hears me.

Truth!

I worked for Nielsen, the 2017 study you referenced is actually not “86 percent of the ethnic beauty market”, but 86 percent rounded (54.4 million) of the amount spent in the US on ethnic hair and beauty aids (63.5 million total). The global beauty industry is over half a trillion dollars, with US consumers accounting for the largest share- at a little over 100 billion dollars annually. I absolutely support Sephora’s 15% pledge. But I think if statistics are presented as a response to a question about potential brands, those statistics should be accurate.

Firstly, I, clearly, cited an article. Secondly, prior to...

Firstly, I, clearly, cited an article. Secondly, prior to using that information, I checked Neilsen's website. And, although it is phrased differently in the 2019 findings than it was in 2017, it states the same information. If you take issue with it, speak to your former place of employment. I said what I said.

Juvia's Place, Coloured Raine, Mented, Beauty Bakerie

Juvia Place

Before I see Black owned beauty brands, because your focus of protecting your image comes first I’d like to ensure instead that the cause comes first with concrete actions that lead to progress and equity. I’d first like to see 1) restitution to thoseracially profiled in the past and future at Sephora stores; 2) agenerous reflection of Black and Native executives at Sephora, and third 3) a percentage of wholly Black owned and controlled beauty companies, minimally reflective of the worlds populations by ratio of Black and Native peoples, with an accompanyingfocus on Sephora initiating an economic program to support new Black andNative entrepreneurs in the beauty space. White people make up less than 12 percent of the worlds population. This does not account for the disproportionate profits made off of these groups and only adjusts for the population ratio accordingly. Your change in the offering of the $100 reward does notbenefit Black communities disproportionate reflection in poverty though being inversely larger consumers in the beauty space, but now not getting an economic access and benefit for their loyalty, in partstructurally imposed since the penalties for appearance fall far greater on Black folks. The new $10 off reward appears to be half the value of the $100 reward. The change in value shows PR at hand rather than ethics and reward for loyalty to your brand.

I second this. I had to work my butt off nearly 4 years to get promoted to lead while Caucasian ladies who outrightly did nothing but complain get promoted in a matter of months. It was traumatic and hurtful, and by the time I got that position I was mentally and physically drained from having to prove myself. But these white executives and managers didn’t care to understand. Out of the district there was only ONE Africa-Canadian store director out of nearly TEN. There’s nothing worse than working for white people in a beauty industry catered to white people who don’t support you. I would work and have little white boys come into the store BLACKFACING at my studio. But because I was so worried about losing my position and worried about my numbers, I stood by and watched them offend me, my coloured staff and clients. So if Sephora really wants to make a change I say they need to start with themselves (executives and management). I still have friends to this day struggling to speak up to their leaders and it just isn’t fair,

I would like to see Black Girl Sunscreen, Unsun and Buttah skin. Buttah is a unisex skincare line which is awesome and the creator went to my alma mater, Clark Atlanta University! 

testing