Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Deeper Shades
|

Which Black-owned beauty and wellness brands do you want to see at Sephora? [Updated 1/6/23]

06.19.20_We're taking the 15% Pledge.png

[[UPDATE 1/6/23: Please join us in welcoming a another new-to-Sephora Black-Owned Brand, Ami Colé! Founder Diarrha N’Diaye sought to fill a gap in the makeup space by creating complexion products suited for melanin-rich skin. Created with this in mind, Ami Colé products celebrate deeper skin tones and are good for your skin with nourishing ingredients that are Clean at Sephora. Shout out to @NatashaTendai@Nenepink@meghan504@TamaraJMorris@JleeWins@ZooLife@YANZTHEFIRST@tjm1992, and @Kiatch, who had all mentioned the brand previously in this thread! Learn more about the brand and browse the products on our Black-Owned-Beauty Guide, and read the latest updates on the steps Sephora is taking to champion diversity and inclusion beyond the 15 Percent Pledge: https://www.inside-sephora.com/en/usa/diversity-equity-inclusion]]

We recognize how important it is to represent Black businesses and communities, and we must do better. 

You may have seen in Summer 2020 that Sephora partnered with designer Aurora James to take the 15% Pledge. The 15% Pledge is James’ nonprofit calling on retailers (like Sephora) to dedicate 15% of shelf space to Black-owned brands. Why 15%? As explained on the 15% Pledge website, “Black people in the U.S. make up nearly 15% of the population. So, we are calling on major retailers to commit a minimum of 15% of their shelf to Black-owned businesses.” We are so excited to be the first retailer to take the pledge and are looking forward to seeing others join us in the 15% Pledge. Next, we want to hear from you!*

Which Black-owned beauty and wellness brands do you want to see at Sephora? Be sure to let us know your favorite product(s), what makes this brand unique, etc. 

Thank you in advance for your guidance and support. We look forward to learning from you!

*We will not be able to guarantee these brands join our Sephora brand roster, but we value your expertise as individual beauty lovers who shop outside of Sephora and our brands. Black-owned brands interested in partnering with Sephora can apply through RangeMe.

RE: Which Black-owned beauty and wellness brands do you want to see at Sephora?

I would like to see Jane Carter solutions and Pattern for hair. Bevel for the guys shaving needs. They also carry form a hair care line. For makeup I would love to see coloured raine, juvia’s place and beauty bakerie for commercial lines. For pro lines, I would love to see Danessa Myricks. She also appeals to the commercial side. I would like to see Pat McGRATH in most Sephora’s. I know that would be based on sales. I was think like her $25 mini options. It gives more people to try Pat at a lower price point.

RE: Which Black-owned beauty and wellness brands do you want to see at Sephora?

Definitely most definitely Uoma Beauty ❤️ Propa, Colored Raine

Re: Which Black-owned beauty and wellness brands do you want to see at Sephora?

Thank you @SephoraBIC  for doing this. I’ll have to give skincare brands some more thought, but I can think of a few cosmetics brands right away: 

Beauty Bakerie - I love their entire branding/marketing concept, from the bakery theme to the “better not bitter” philosophy. And I respect their CEO, Cashmere Nicole. Their Flour setting powder is still my favorite cosmetic oily zone tamer. 

Danessa Myricks Beauty - I’ve been testing some of her products for about a year now and appreciate their “use however you want, anywhere on the body” design. I’m addicted to her Waterproof Cushion Liner: it rivals my other favorite eyeliner (Inglot AMC gel pots). I own several shades. 

Uoma Beauty - They’re all about inclusivity. I still haven’t gotten my hands on one of their eyeshadow palettes (I’m about to order the Black Magic Carnival palette), but their Black Magic Metallic Lipsticks alone have won me over. Seriously, if you love a true foiled metallic lip, you need these in your life. 

I think Mented will be a popular response in this thread. I have very little experience with their products, mostly because they seem to focus on neutrals. But everyone I know who’s used their products loves them. 

Oh, and Coloured Raine is another worthy contender, especially for fans of colorful eyeshadows that pack a punch. 

@WinglessOne  The Danessa Myricks liners look fantastic. Do you have a favorite shade?

@PrettyPaint  Here are the shades I have: 

Danessa Myricks Waterproof Cushion LinersDanessa Myricks Waterproof Cushion Liners

Of them, my favorites (in both color and performance) are Bluejay, Atlantis, and Liquid Lilac. I also love Kandy Apple, and Cloud Control is such a crisp bright white.

The 2 neon colors, Electric Sun and Pretty Pumpkin, are temperamental. The former can get patchy (as my photo shows) if not applied over primer. The latter sometimes needs 2 or 3 coats. It doesn’t help that I accidentally left the Pretty Pumpkin pot tilted on its side for a week before noticing, so quite a bit of the liner pooled into the lid beyond the mesh cushion. I’ve been trying to help it seep back down below the cushion—ensuring the jar’s always upright, tapping the bottom of the jar every few days or weeks—but I’m not sure that’ll ever happen. Meanwhile, instead of tapping the brush against the cushion, I have to dip into the pooled liner atop the cushion. 

Story moral: if you buy any of these liner pots, always store the pot(s) completely upright. 

Oh, and each pot comes with its own adorable mini liner brush! 

Great travel companion(s)Great travel companion(s)

So very kind of you to post swatches @WinglessOne. I really like the looks of bluejay. I'm also rather intrigued by cloud control. How do you typically use this one? 

@PrettyPaint  I’ve done wings with Cloud Control a few times, both on is own and paired with eyeshadows. Sometimes I lay down Cloud Control as a top lid liner first, and then apply a shimmer or metallic shadow over it. It’s also a great base coat for a yellow eyeshadow; makes for a striking yellow wing. (So does Electric Sun, as long as I apply that liner over a primer.) 

I’ve also used Cloud Control as a bottom liner, either stopping at my outer corner or winging it out. (I often start my wing from my bottom lash line because I have hooded eyes.) When paired with an off-white pencil liner in my bottom water line, this makes me look more awake than I probably am. 😄 

And since I love a pop of color in my inner corners (with or without anything else on the rest of my lids), I’ve used this white liner there a few times. 

I’m not into the current trend of liner in the crease, but I think Cloud Control would work well for that. 

@WinglessOne  That's so helpful! Thank you! If it works as a good base for eye shadows, that sounds like it would be extremely versatile. Sometimes I have a difficult time applying shadow to the lower lash line, so I definitely plan to give this a try. Thanks again! 

RE: Re: Which Black-owned beauty and wellness brands do you want to see at Sephora?

That would be amazing to get Uoma Beauty @WinglessOne 👏❤️ those beautiful palettes and lipsticks 🤩 - I’ve seen the Propa lipsticks and the colours are gorgeous!

Re: RE: Re: Which Black-owned beauty and wellness brands do you want to see at Sephora?

@2manyperfumes  Oh, I forgot about Propa! I’ve considered ordering the shade Driven. I should do that this week. 🙂 

Re: RE: Re: Which Black-owned beauty and wellness brands do you want to see at Sephora?

They are all so pretty @WinglessOne ❤️, I think right now they are taking pre orders for September?  I was watching Kelsee Briana J. swatch them and many other YT channels.  Driven?  I’ll have to look again.  I had 6 shades that I was swooning over.  If I could I’d buy all 12.  

The Lip Bar

Okokocosmetiques

Josephine cosmetics

Coloured Raine

Mented 

Hyper Skin
AJ Crimson

Which Black-owned beauty and wellness brands do you want to see at Sephora?

Uoma Beauty Tgin

Which Black-owned beauty and wellness brands do you want to see at Sephora?

Mented cosmetics

@SephoraBIC 

First I’d like to say it’s important to view hair by texture, not by race. 

On the hair care front, you guys would be silly to pass on Adwoa Beauty. I know hair trends and this is one brand I would jump on. 
Beauty Bakerie obviously! 

@GG84  Adwoa is new at Sephora US, hooray!

A3E9F523-835C-46EF-8DAB-E05640E792BF.jpeg

I’ve considered trying the shampoo, but my face hates mint oils (unlike my scalp, from what I can tell anyway), so I’d have to be extra careful while using it. You’d think it’d be find since it’s a rinse-off product instead of, say, a leave-on face serum or mask. But previous experiences have proven otherwise. Sigh. 

I wish it was in stores and/or I could get a sample to try. Meanwhile, I’m adding a mental “GG84 approved” note. 

Juvia's Place  PLease! i LOVE THEIR STUFF! Amazing foundations and pigmented shadows! I always pick some up at Ulta when I am in the US.

Beneath Your Mask

Hyper Skin 

Beauty Bakerie 

Coloured Raine 

Essentials by Temi 

Golde 

Juvia's Place 

Mented 

Plain Jane Beauty 

Uoma Beauty 

@haleyvvvv I second Beauty Bakerie! Their Lip Whips come in a beautiful array of colours and the tube design is worth every penny:)

8 Replies
testing