Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Deeper Shades
|

Seriously dark circles

Can anyone recommend a product that will actually work on my dark circles?

Re: Seriously dark circles

@steonia  It depends on what’s causing your dark circles. 

Sun damage: Look for products containing retinol, kojic acid, vitamin C, niacinamide, or arbutin—and make sure they’re safe to use under your eyes. When in doubt, ask a dermatologist. 
Spoiler
Some of my undereye darkness was caused by sun damage, and Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Ferulic + Retinol Triple Correction Eye Serum knocked it out within 3 months. Your mileage may vary, of course, and there might be another product that’d work better for you. I use an OTC retinol serum (usually The INKEY List Retinol Fine Lines and Wrinkles Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL , but I recently began testing SOBEL SKIN Rx 4.5% Retinol Night Treatment ) on my whole face every other night, and I apply it under my eyes—but I don't bring it all the way up to my lower lash line. 
Allergies (sinus pressure, inflammation, and/or frequent eye rubbing): Good ol’ antihistamines can help, which you’d likely be taking anyway for other allergy symptoms. 
Spoiler
Each spring and summer is Claritin-D time for me, and I try not to rub my eyes much to avoid causing more undereye darkness.

Cold compresses also help me a lot here: something as simple as a cool wet washcloth over my eyes. Also great are refrigerated eye patches that contain anti-inflammatory ingredients like green tea, licorice root, and centella asiatica. There are other soothing ingredients, like chamomile, that work great for other people's inflammation but not so much for mine; eh, might work for you. My favorite eye patches are JayJun Green Tea Eye Gel Patches, and I keep them in the fridge. But I'm sure there are other great patches out there. 
Lack of sleep: Products containing caffeine can possibly help. You can also try plumping the skin a bit with products containing hydrating/moisturizing ingredients like hyaluronic acid, glycerin, ceramides, squalane, etc. 
Spoiler
You don’t need to use a product specifically marketed as “eye cream." A full face moisturizer or a facial oil can work fine under your eyes. Just make sure your undereye skin isn't completely dried off before you apply the moisturizer: try applying it to somewhat damp skin. 

Topical caffeine products don't give me very noticeable results under my eyes, but some other folks swear by them. The Inkey List makes one but I've never tried it: The INKEY List Caffeine De-puffing + Dark Circle Eye Cream 0.5 oz/ 15 mL . 
Sunken skin (hollow tear troughs): Plumping up the sunken skin can reduce this darkness. Injectable fillers like Restylane or Juvaderm provide the best and fastest results, though they’re temporary. 
Spoiler
You can also try a topical hydrating/moisturizing product to plump the skin, but it won’t give you anywhere near an injectable’s results.

I still have this kind of undereye darkness. I’m not willing to go the injectables route yet, so I rely on hydration/moisturization and concealer/color corrector in my tear troughs. I usually apply BECCA Cosmetics Ultimate Coverage Longwear Concealer Cinnamon under my eyes (and I don't slather it on the way "beauty influencers" do; I use a very tiny amount, literally 2-3 dots under each eye). Then I'll sometimes add an even tinier bit of a second lighter concealer, like PAT McGRATH LABS Sublime Perfection Concealer MD24 , only in the deepest part of the hollow trough. This optical illusion brightens the shadow in that area, making it appear lifted. 

Sometimes I'll instead use a bit of highlighter in my tear trough, just to bounce some light off those shadows. 
Your genes (hereditary dark circles): You could try products that target hyperpigmentation but honestly, color correction products and/or concealers are your best bet. 

Thank you so much. I will try your methods.

Thank you so much. I will try your methods.

Re: Seriously dark circles

GLAMGLOW BRIGHTEYES™ Illuminating Anti-Fatigue Eye Cream

Thank you so much for your response, unfortunately I trie...

Thank you so much for your response, unfortunately I tried that.
4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing