Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Deeper Shades
|

Lipsticks/Gloss/Matte

Hey does anyone know of any shades that fits or that at least complements the melanin skin tones? Preferably non sticky if it’s a gloss and long lasting wear. 

Re: Lipsticks/Gloss/Matte

@JakinaS HUDA BEAUTY Lip Strobe Metallic Gloss Saucey is so underrated. It's my latest gloss I bought and I have no regrets. It's a metallic and glossy red. It has an in between matte and hydrating feeling. Also, it has pink and gold glitter in it. I did type an excellent review that contains 5 pictures in a collage about it. It is the only red lip I use. You don't need anything underneath, it's full coverage.

Thanks for the tag, @sonnydee ! 

@JakinaS  Oh boy, I could give you a loooooong list. 😂 But here's a short(ish) version. Note that shades are a very subjective thing that totally depends on your preference. I'm a huge fan of blues, blacks, purples, dark teals, fuchsias, and mauves. Well okay, I'm a big fan of pretty much any lipstick color except specific shades of beige that wash me out, most corals, and pale pastel pinks. But anyway, you might not like the shades I do. So, I'll recommend a few brands/lines of lip products rather than list a whole bunch of specific shades. Oh, and I don't know if you're looking for opaque, semi-sheer, or sheer finishes... I'll opt for opaque. 

Gloss 

Spoiler
Lancôme L'Absolu Lacquer Long-Lasting Liquid Lipstick 315 Energy Shot - these are my favorite line of glosses ever made. Bold pigmentation, buildable coverage (1 coat for semi-opaque, 2-3 coats for full opacity), non-stick, ridiculous glassy shine, and looooong wearing. Most of the shades I own don't bleed or feather at all, so I don't need a lip liner with them. Energy Shot is one of my favorite shades, but I also own 20something of the other shades. Did I mention I love these glosses? 

UOMA Boss Gloss Liquid Marble - I recently bought 2 shades (Sass and Ambition) and I'm in love with 'em. I won't call these non-stick, but they are very shiny and pigmented. Sass feathered a bit on me, so I recommend a liner with these glosses. I will buy more shades of this line. 

PAT McGRATH LABS LUST: Lip Gloss Twilo - I do have several of these glosses. Non-sticky, quite glossy, and very comfy to wear. Sometimes I wear one of these over a full base coat of lip liner to amp up the gloss color, extend wear time, and prevent feathering. (Paraphernalia works well this way.) On me, Twilo is a deep coral, which I like. 

Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Gloss Bomb Universal Lip Luminizer Fenty Glow - I know I said I'd stick to opaque shades, but I can't talk about glosses without mentioning Gloss Bombs. I have several shades but honestly, my favorite is still the original because it can save many subpar-looking lipsticks I wear under it. 

Cream and matte bullets 

Spoiler
Okay, this is the list that can easily get out of control. Let's see... 

MAC Satin, MAC Amplified, and MAC Matte - you can hardly go wrong with good ol' MAC bullets. Seriously, there's bound to be at least 2 shades that work for you. 

NARS Audacious Lipstick Charlotte - a wonderful line of cream bullets that feel comfy on the lips. 

PAT McGRATH LABS MatteTrance™ Lipstick Deep Orchid - the MatteTrance line is worth the hype. For folks who love cool-toned reds (like me), I usually recommend the shade Elson. 

PAT McGRATH LABS BlitzTrance™ Lipstick Blood Rush - this shade is from the second generation of BlitzTrance shades, and it's a beautiful true red with a not-too-over-the-top shimmer. If you love reds, you need Blood Rush in your life. 

PAT McGRATH LABS LuxeTrance™ Lipstick Beautiful Creature - I think the LuxeTrance line might get discontinued. 😞 I sure hope not, because I LOVE these bullets. They all perform great, feel comfy on my lips, and I love many of the shades. The shade McGrath Muse is my favorite warm red by anyone. 

UOMA Badass Icon - a great line of matte bullets. The shade Chaka makes me happy each time I wear it. 

ColourPop Lux Creme or Matte bullets - CP keeps changing the color range of these. Last time I checked, they'd removed a lot of the fun shades (blues, teals, black). 😞 I hope they bring 'em back! I always say these lipsticks are woefully undervalued for their pigmentation and performance, and I'd pay double or triple the asking price. 

Guerlain Rouge G Customizable Lipstick N°74 - these are sooo comfy to wear, very buttery-emollient. You don't have to buy the matching "custom case"; I have one but rarely use it because it's big and heavy. I just keep my Rouge Gs closed with the little black plastic caps they come with. 

Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Mattemoiselle Plush Matte Lipstick Flamingo Acid - one of my favorite lines of matte bullets. These hold up well under sheer/semi-sheer gloss (like, oh, Gloss Bomb), and they're comfy to wear. 

Origins Blooming Bold - a line of cream bullets I'm still shocked were actually made by Origins. These are impressively good! Very long wearing, with great pigmentation that wears down gracefully (slowly and evenly, without huge color gaps) throughout the day. 

I could keep listing more but I need to stop at some point. I can swatch some of these for you, if you're interested. Guerlain and PMG don't have super accurate promo photos/swatches of their lipsticks, so if you have questions about one, ask and I (or someone else) might have it available to swatch for you. 

For liquid mattes, I'll have to come back later. I'm SUPER fussy about liquid mattes, as I rarely wear them because 99% of them dry my lips out (and I have a very good lip care routine). But I'll say one of my favorite lines is NARS Powermatte Lip Pigment Starwoman . 

Thanks for "answering the call" 🤗😘😉@WinglessOne 💄💋

Have you tried Pat McGrath lip glosses? . She has some that are pretty pigmented. I think @WinglessOne might have more of the bolder shades than me. @JakinaS but its a gloss so it might last you a few hours but thats it. Her lipsticks are awesome as well. She has matte & cream. Some may even on sale. Good luck on your hunt! @WinglessOne 

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 13 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing