Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Deeper Shades
|

Hyperpigmentation/Uneven skin tone

Hello All! I have a pretty smooth texture skin. So with a little foundation my skin is flawless. However I have issues with hyperpigmentation. With acne etc my skin scars very easily and I haven’t found a product that actually removes dark spot. I do exfoliate with a gentle exfoliating daily and I use a stronger exfoliating mask once a week. Any suggestions??

Re: Hyperpigmentation/Uneven skin tone

Hey, do check out Dr. Vanita Rattan on youtube who specializes in hyperpigmentation and skin of color. It literally changed my life! I had no idea beforr that most of products on the shelves are only tested on white skin so may not work for us. I highly recommend her.

I use dermalogica daily mirco exfoliate, though the full size is pricey it does work. I strongly suggest first buying the mini size for $15 dollars first. Be light handed and mix powder with a little water from your hand. My skin has definitely improved, I have hormonal acne and hyperpigmentation. It is a chemical exfoliate but very gentle and just be sure to use gentle products along with it. 

Also use a sunscreen, I use Neutrogena Hydro Boost, there is also a black owned sunscreen called Black Girl Sunscreen at Target which has great reviews.

I had really bad hyperpigmentation for many years.     The only thing that helped me was treatment and prescriptions from my dermatologist.  They included glycolic peels initially.  She then prescribed Altreno (tretinoin) and finally Triluma.  My skin looks great and I am diligent with using sunscreen daily and I reapply it throughout the day.  Other products did not work for me.  

To help with hypermigmentation on my cheeks I used

- 2 tsp of Tumeric Powder (Organic)

- 1 oz of water

- half of a lemon, squeezed 

Some people use a brush to apply but i used gloves because I felt like using my hands was better , i massaged it in and let it sit for 10 minutes before washing it off with a cleanser, I did this everyday for a week and saw a difference. I followed this video that I'll link below. I want to continue doing it but im lazy lol Also vitamin C serums are helpful

RE: Re: Hyperpigmentation/Uneven skin tone

I love turmeric masks. They really brighten one’s skin.

I like the products, because they are cheap but they work amazingly.  The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Exfoliating Toner 8 oz/ 240 mL , The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL, and The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Exfoliating Peeling Solution 1 oz/ 30 mLare my favorites. The work together for my acne prone skin. I love the price point as well because it they don't work, at least you not out $50+. 

Hello!

I definitely suggest to add a vitamin C to your routine, it'll help fade the dark spots plus it's anti-aging! Also make sure you're wearing a sunscreen everyday, at least an SPF 30!

I would suggest starting with the SEPHORA COLLECTION - Ultra Glow Serum: Glow + Strengthen Vitamin C Serum since it's gentle but will still give you the benefits of a vitamin C (some people are sensitive to vitamin C which is why I suggest to start here.) Then you can graduate to a higher concentration such as OLEHENRIKSEN - Truth Serum® Mini or DRUNK ELEPHANT - C-Firma™ Vitamin C Day Serum (my personal favorite.)

For sunscreens I like Drunk Elephant Umbra Sheer™ Physical Daily Defense Face Sunscreen SPF 30 or Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Invisible Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA +++ 1.7 oz/ 50 mL

Awesome thank you! I am interested in trying drunk elephants products I heard they are a great brand! I am trying out Tatcha now and love it but wasn’t sold on their vitamin c serum. I have the philosophy vitamin c booster powder that dissolves with your moisturizer. I’ll give that a try again. But again thank you for the suggestion I think I will try drunk elephant!

@SimplyMiche  I would try adding a Vitamin C serum of some kind to help even your skintone- it works slowly, but still faster than waiting for them to fade on their own. The sephora collection has one for about $20 but there are lots available

Thank you!!!!
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 28 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
testing