Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Deeper Shades
|

Hello I’m new here and I have so much to ask

I’m a new beginner in makeup this will be my first time learning how to do my own makeup never I’ve had family do mines but the was only for prom and graduation never picked up a brush since than any pointers

Re: Hello I’m new here and I have so much to ask

Hi @NubianLevi 

Makeup is one of my favorite ways of expressing myself!  So excited that you're starting!

Skincare is the first and most important step!  If you haven't already, find out what your skin type is (oily, normal, dry, combo) and your skin concerns.  That will narrow down what skincare and makeup products are best for your skin.  You can take the quiz here:

https://www.sephora.com/beauty/skin-care-quiz?icid2=meganav_howtos_skincare_finder_med_050118_image

For a more natural base, you can use tinted moisturizer, BB or CC cream.  Or, you can use a light/natural coverage foundation.  Using sunscreen with UV protection is a must!!!!  I like Shiseido Urban Environment Oil-Free UV Protector Broad Spectrum Face Sunscreen SPF 42 1 oz/ 30 mL or the Kose Suncut Sunscreen.  Make sure your sunscreen has UV protection since UV rays are the most harmful to your skin.  Sunscreen without UV protection is pretty much useless.  Foundations with SPF do not work!  Recent studies have found that you need 15 pumps of it on your face for it to actually be effective.

To prevent clogging pores or if you want a more even texture, use a primer.  The order would be your skincare routine, sunscreen, primer, and then whatever your chosen foundation or BB/CC cream is.

For eyes: waterproof mascara is best, neutral eyeshadows like NATASHA DENONA - Bronze Eyeshadow Palette.  Getting a good brush set will help!  This is my favorite Sephora starter brush set SEPHORA COLLECTION - Ready To Roll Brush Set (face and eyes).  The bristles are nice and soft.

For brows, the shape is everything!  My eyebrows definitely make or break my look.  Use the Golden Ratio to shape your brows.  I like to get them threaded.  If you're lucky enough to have full brows, you can get away with Benefit Cosmetics Gimme Brow+ Tinted Volumizing Eyebrow Gel 4 or Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz® Ultra-Slim Precision Eyebrow Pencil Taupe.  If you have sparse brows like me, Anastasia Beverly Hills DIPBROW® Waterproof, Smudge Proof Brow Pomade Dark Brown is great.  I use Anastasia Beverly Hills Dual-Ended Firm Angled Eyebrow Brush #12 with the dip brow.

If you're shaping your brows yourself, use the Golden Ratio to draw out your brows as perfectly as you can and fill them in.  Then, clean up your brows by plucking, shaving, threading, etc.  That way, you aren't over plucking.

If you want a natural lip color, choose a color close to your nipple color (weird, I know).  You can use BITE BEAUTY - Agave+ Weekly Vegan Lip Scrub or similar to exfoliate and soften lips.  I like to moisturize with Vaseline and found it the most effective (and cheap!).

Other things you can use are contour to slim down facial features, blush to give your face a healthy color, highlighter to give your face a glow or to highlight the high points of your face, concealer to hide blemishes or brighten your face, and eyeliner, among many other things.

These are just some of the basic tips.  I encourage you to experiment but also go at your own pace!  Have fun!

You can also purchase $50 worth of products and ask a Sephora employee for a make-over! Watching someone do makeup and learning the steps is the best way to learn

@Sonny4President @RAWRitsRED 

Makeovers with a $50 purchase ended in December. They now have a set cost that varies by market. 

(And makeovers aren't being offered right now anyways...virus and all...)

@Sonny4President 

Are they still doing that?!  I thought they stopped doing that starting this year since I haven't seen any info on free makeovers after purchasing $50, even before COVID.  A lot of people were complaining about it, too.

I know they still do short makeovers like just for eyes, face, or brows, etc. but not the full face makeovers.

RE: Hello I’m new here and I have so much to ask

@NubianLevi forgot to tag

RE: Hello I’m new here and I have so much to ask

Practice, practice, practice. Everything comes in time. The more you do it, the better you will get. You can always try to work your way up. Like start with getting your foundation color right. Then learn how to sculpt and highlight for your face. The move to eyes or lips.
Anonymous Insider

I think it’s essential to have a good mascara, a eyebrow kit, lipsticks in red, brown, nude, and plum, black eyeliner, a small eyeshadow kit and a foundation and concealer  that matches your skin well. I don’t use foundation much but the rest I use often. I also use a eyeshadow brush kit and sponges to blend the foundation and concealer. This is just for beginners.

Tip 1: Skin first! If you don't currently take care of your skin, try setting a basic routine, find your skin type (sensitive, comb, oily, acne, dry) and products that work for you. You can also have more than one, (I have sensitive combination skin!).The base of your face is extremely important, the makeup comes off, but your skin doesn't 🙂 

Tip 2: You don't have to spend a lot to look good, there are great drugstore makeup options for beginners, just do your research and don't be afraid to experiment. Don't ever feel pressured to buy expensive products (especially from beauty gurus!), only buy what works for YOUR skin! 

Tip 3: Quality technique and tools important. Two people can use the same tools with different techniques and get completely different results. Jackie Aina, Mela Child ect... are great makeup gurus you can check out for educational and fun learning (reference Tip 2). Don't ever feel pressured to do exactly what beauty gurus do, only do what works for YOUR face! 

Good luck! It's a journey! 

Yes!  Skin care is the most important!  

Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
testing