Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Deeper Shades
|

Color Up Close with Sephora Panel & NYC Community Meet Up

There's something I've been DYING to tell you all 😁.  Several weeks ago @TeamBIC @reached out and asked me to rope off some dates because of a top secret event coming up that they wanted me to attend. The top secret 🕵🏾‍♀️ got me.  Little did I know that this top secret excursion was a chance to fly out to New York City to attend the Color Up Close panel. 

Color Up Close with Sephora.png

As the creator of the "Deeper Hues" thread, the BIC Team thought it would be fitting for me to attend. This is a great opportunity to gain insight from brand owners on diversity and inclusion within the beauty sphere AND to raise conversations we've had in and out of the Deeper Hues thread for further consideration.

The panel is set to begin a few hours time. Here are some photos from yesterday's arrival, featuring our insanely amazing hotel and a nearby attraction.Heading into MidtownHeading into Midtown

The VesselThe Vessel

Hotel Terrace at NightHotel Terrace at Night

More to come later..... and did I mention that they allowed me to bring a plus one 😏.  I'll let them reveal themselves later 😁

Re: Color Up Close with Sephora Panel & NYC Community Meet Up

Hi All, I'm still floating on air from this past weekend!

WaterMark_2019-08-22-19-18-57.jpg

WaterMark_2019-08-22-19-20-20.jpg

The Color Up Close Panel, moderated by Elaine Welteroth, featured Sarah Curtis Henry from Fresh, KJ Miller from Mented Cosmetics, and Nancy Twine from Briogeo. Elaine opened by acknowledging that the words "diversity" and "inclusion" are often thrown around as a matter of trend, not as a means to represent or appeal to all. This set the tone for the entire panel, which I truly appreciated. It said we, the panelist, are here to have a real conversation, not to sell an illusion of care and understanding.

WaterMark_2019-08-22-19-20-49.jpg

WaterMark_2019-08-22-19-21-31.jpg

Here are my major take aways:
• It's okay to be inspired by another culture. Cultural appreciation becomes appropriation when origins/roots are not acknowledged, respected, and well thought out.

• True inclusion cannot occur without representation (at the table and within the organization as a whole).

• If you have a seat at the table, be persistent. Bring ALL of you to the table. Mentor others and help pave the path for others to have the same opportunity going forward.

• The longevity of the push for diversity & inclusion. Differentiating between brands that are on board in the moment and those that take actionable steps to make diversity & inclusion part of who they are/what they represent.

• Continue to hold brands accountable, even if they have already made strides in diversity & inclusion. Social media is a good driver of this. **Pay attention to how brands respond to feedback**

• Diversity & inclusion does not begin and end with race/ethnicity. Age, hair type, etc are also important.

WaterMark_2019-08-22-19-22-13.jpg

After the panel we headed back to the store where we received Elaine's new book and had a chance to meet with her. She was so down to earth!  As I walked up to her she said she loved having me upfront because she could tell by my face that I was into the panel and that their message came through.

WaterMark_2019-08-22-20-11-08.jpg

They also had "The Bubble Bar" which featured flavored cotton candy that dissolved into the drink and some hand designed candies waiting for us after the meet and greet! 

WaterMark_2019-08-22-19-28-33.jpgWaterMark_2019-08-22-19-30-01.jpgWaterMark_2019-08-22-19-30-31.jpgWaterMark_2019-08-22-19-31-12.jpg

As if that weren't enough Sephora gifted us some extra goodies for attending the panel. 

WaterMark_2019-08-22-19-52-22.jpg

Many thanks to @TeamBIC for making it possible to attend this fabulous event!  Photos from the community meetup still to come 😘

@ElleElleG, I'm not even sure I have enough words to express what an honor it was to have you as our special guest. AND to see you with your BIC pals had me smiling all the way home! I love this write up and am thrilled you were able to come out and as you say, make it "a weekend for the books." See you again SO SOON!

xo, @CarolBT 

I love your takeaway, too. I feel like diversity is becom...

I love your takeaway, too. I feel like diversity is becoming a trend and not an actual, sustained action, so to hear actual steps from those present makes me glad.

Re: I love your takeaway, too. I feel like diversity is becom...

Thanks @danielledanielle !  I feel the same so it was good to hear them mention that as well as how to determine brand authenticity.

What an awesome experience!! Congrats @ElleElleG!!! Wonde...

What an awesome experience!! Congrats @ElleElleG!!! Wonderful take aways from the panel discussion.

Re: What an awesome experience!! Congrats @ElleElleG!!! Wonde...

Thanks @IndyQT317 !!

@ElleElleG 

I LOVED meeting you and can't wait to read the rest of your recap of the event. 

Which reminds me I have some photos of you on my phone and will DM on you asap! (I'm on the hot mess express at full speed lol)

Adored meeting you as well @Cyncynn !  Thanks for the photos!

@ElleElleG  So excited to hear and see the rest of the event! Your pictures right now are fabulous!

Thanks @MissPuff !  The view made it easy to capture, LOL

@ElleElleG   You are an incredibly gifted photographer!  Is that your profession?  If not, it could be. 🙂

Aww, I wish @Ispend2much6 

ahhh i am so late to the game on posting! i'm honestly still reeling from the trip, so please forgive my tardiness @ElleElleG!! i promise to post a recap soon, but for now just let me say how surreal the whole weekend was. I thought it would be at least until next year (after graduation) before i would be able to attend any events as they are usually on the west coast, and my schedule doesn't allow much travel time. i almost passed out when @ElleElleG  asked me to be her plus on this trip, and that feeling continued all weekend. @KatieBT , @CarolBT , and @SephoraBIC  spoiled us beyond belief. After interacting and building such incredible friendships with so many community members over the last 5+ years, meeting them in person was even better than i expected (BT represent!). The panel event was thought provoking and all of the panelist (and Elaine) were so eloquent, intelligent, beautiful and still so humble. They were all such perfect examples of empowering themselves as well as others, and I learned so much from our session. I promise I will share more thoughts and photos once I acclimate back to reality, but trust everyone else when they say it was a perfect day (or days in my case!)

@unfungirl  Ahhhhh, I want to hug you through the screen right now!! What an absolute delight it was to spend time with you and to see your friendship IRL with @ElleElleG. It made me so incredibly happy. 

RE: Re: Color Up Close with Sephora Panel & NYC Community Meet Up

@unfungirl congrats. It sounds like your schedule aligned at the right time to enjoy this event. Can’t wait to read your post.

@unfungirl yay!!! I was wondering who the mystery guest was and I'm so happy you got to go! Reading all the different posts and seeing all the pictures of the BIC ladies makes me so happy 🙂 

RE: Re: Color Up Close with Sephora Panel & NYC Community Meet Up

@MissPuff thanks girl! It was such an unexpected and sweet surprise! Meeting everyone after so long was surreal- and they were even more gorgeous and sweet in person! It was a once in a lifetime trip for sure ❤️

@ElleElleG @trishavt @MlleCC @michelleshops @darkiceis @Cyncynn @jen143xo @clairedabear @lnum you ladies are all fabulous and i can't wait to connect again! and of course an extra special thanks for @ElleElleG  for inviting me to attend, it was a dream ❤️

Whoop Whoop, it was a weekend for the books!

@ElleElleG this was such an amazing event and I’m so glad I was able to attend and finally meet you!!! I had such a great time! Can’t wait to do it again 🙂

Conversation Stats
Photos16
  • Color Up Close with Sephora.png
  • Heading into Midtown
  • The Vessel
  • Hotel Terrace at Night
  • WaterMark_2019-08-16-16-00-47.jpg
  • WaterMark_2019-08-22-19-18-57.jpg
  • WaterMark_2019-08-22-19-20-20.jpg
  • WaterMark_2019-08-22-19-20-49.jpg
  • WaterMark_2019-08-22-19-21-31.jpg
  • WaterMark_2019-08-22-19-22-13.jpg